62197members
327452posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2018

Re: Surgery May 2018

Michelle ... there’s definitely something in the air this time of the year...the one year anniversaries. Last year was taken up with appointments, treatments, results etc and although there are still some of those things ongoing, as you say over some years ahead, I feel this year is about mentally getting back onto my feet, getting my balance, getting some control back. Sounds as though you’ve got extra on your plate to deal with but having dips seem to be part of our ‘recovery’. Ive had leaky eyes now and then and I do seem to get more stressed out over things I would normally take in my stride. Most of the time I feel like me, but I really don’t like the dips although I have to acknowledge them .... they are less than last year though.

.... sending positive vibes to you and Kip xx

Jean you raise some interesting points re mammograms/density. If our experience is anything to go by it doesn’t seem like density is going to be part of the UK screening process anytime soon.

i seem to be very emotional at the moment, I do have an issue with my brother going on which doesn’t help but I seem to be so teary at the moment. Maybe it is partly since having the mammogram the realisation that this is what I have to go through for the next 5 years, scans/ waiting/ results, hopefully good ones. I thought I was doing really well physically and mentally but I’ve definitely gone into an emotional dip on this horrible rollercoaster we are on. Kip I hope you are coping better than me. X

Started off today with PMA  .... got the hoop out, have done bc exercises and it’s yoga later plus a long walk. Definitely an improvement although I’ve yet to do anything about getting back to swimming.... one day. 

Xx

Pleased you’ve got through your mammogram also Michelle. Here’s to good results for you and Kip. Interesting about what information you’re given regarding density... or not. It’s not routine here at all. I see in some US states women have to be told their density. I was reading an old article (2016 I think) but it did mention about 3D mammograms and that the screening service here should be upgraded. As they offer (?)  screening before 50, and as it’s known that the younger you are the denser breasts are, then they have to adapt...surely. Density wasn’t mentioned to me, and I didn’t even think about it....I’ve got more than a decade in age over you lasses anyway. I wonder if all mammogram machines do breasts in slices 👀 

I hope you’re all having a good weekend

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Michelle  sounds like you got more info than I did.  It's a minefield getting to grips with all this isn't it.  I hope I get more info when I go to hospital fir appt. I too was 47 when diagnosed..

Hi all

i had my mammogram today, I get the results within 10 days. It’s so annoying having to wait. I will try and put it out of my mind if that is possible.

i also asked how dense my tissue was. She said there was some glandular and some fatty tissue so not excessively dense. I didn’t ask what grade it was but I feel she would have told me if she had that info. She also said that the machine they use to do the mammogram is much more effective than the old equipment and it looks at the breast in slices. She also said that as they have my last one to compare it with and any differences will be easy to see.  I think I feel reassured by this but things would be a lot simpler if I was given a grade especially as the reason for not screening before 50 is denser tissue and I was 47 when diagnosed!  I will let you know when I get my results, fingers tightly crossed xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning all,

Well I got through it, wasn't expecting it to be quite so emotional just being back there again.   Mammogram was ok, easier only having 1 to do!  Didn't get very far with the dense breast tissue though.  I asked the lady who did the mammogram how I can find out what my density is and she looked at me like I had 2 heads...  She said she'd never heard of it before and had never been asked. She wanted to know why I needed to know, so I explained all about it and that last year I was told my breast looked dense and required an ultrasound.  She said becuase I had a lump they would do an ultrasound anyway so that made no difference.   She then said she would ask her "boss".  So off she goes, few minutes later comes back and says "Its something that they do in America.. we don't have the technology to be able to tell that here.... anyway the risk is now greater of getting in the other breast because you've had BC already and that outways if you have dense breast tissue".  I politely explained that I have spoken to ladies who have experienced this in UK and she said "oh well they must be at private hospitals".   I let it go with her, I have an appontment with Oncology on 23rd so will go armed with information and will print out the info Clare sent and will ask again.  She also said as i am on Tamoxifen that will lower the density of my breasts... thats the same density that she reckoned she couldn't tell in the first place.  Quite frustrating.. but I will ask again and see where that gets me.

I am now signed on to the Add Aspirin trial, so waiting for my randomised pills to arrive.  I had forgotten that I had a load of blood tests 10 days ago, so getting the results was an extra surprise but at least I hadn't been worrying about them.  They all seemed ok apart from the Neutrophiles (thought I was done with them after chemo!) and my white cells are a bit low...panick stations from me.. but the nurse said this is quite common when you have had chemo and some people never regain the same levels again.. Oh thanks chemo.   She seemed quite happy with it so I'll try not to worry.  I also got weighed and she confirmed I had lost a few pounds.. yayyyy.

Now just got the 2-3 week wait for the results.

Michelle - thinking of you today, hope all goes well...

Kip

xx

Kip... you’ll be pleased to get yesterday out of the way although, as you say, you’ve got a wait for your results. I think that will be the way of things here after my second mammogram as I will have been referred to the follow on team by then and will only see a surgeon if I need to. Being on the wild side with the Emu oil seems to be working if you’re sleeping better.

Michelle ... hope you had fab birthday celebrations for your daughter.

Clare ... have you seen the acupuncturist yet? I’ve read positive things about results from having it.

Reddi .... how are things with you?

Have a good day ladies

xx

I know what you mean Kip it was my cancerversary 2 weeks ago and I didn’t know whether to burst into tears or scream and shout with happiness! I’m sad for myself that I’ve had to go through all of this and that it will always be a bit of a dark shadow but really I think your husband is right and we should be rejoicing that we are still here and on the whole fit, healthy and enjoying life. Easier said than done with scans lurking but I’m sure it will be easier for us both once out the way and positive results delivered xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Well its my 1st Cancerversary today... 1 year ago I heard those awful words.   Not sure how I feel today, all over the place really, relieved 1 year has gone, reliving every moment of that day, and dreading standing in the same bloomin' place this afternoon.  I think a glass of wine will be in order tonight... diet or no diet.. sometimes you just have to.  Hubby keeps telling me to think "glass half full"... couldnt' quite do that this morning.. but I know once we are at the hospital I'll feel better.. its just the waiting and wondering.. although I'll know nothing more by the end of today anyway but hey.. thats the next hurdle. I also get to sign on properly to the Add Aspirin trial today too (well blood tests pending anyway) but so far haven't had any problems taking the low dose of aspirin for 8 weeks.  I'm also trying "Emu Oil with Glucosamine" to rub into my joints.. I had a couple of trial sachets and they seemed to help a bit so have bought a lovely big bottle... smells blurgh but I did get a good nights sleep last night for once.. so I'll stink like an Emu if it means I don't ache so much.   Smiley LOL

Thanks for the good luck messages.

Kip

x

I

Hi Paulus, lovely to hear from you although sorry to hear you are experiencing aches and pains, as Feenix says it’s hopefully just the normal stuff and not related to cancer. I hope the disorganisation today gets sorted and you get your ‘chat’ ASAP! Let us know how you get on.

Jean, weather was the same here sunny but very cold wind! Keep away from that millionaire shortbread (one of my favourites!) we are going out to eat tonight to celebrate my daughters 21st whichbis tomorrow but she’s heading back to uni then. I hope the restaurant had a decent pudding selection! 

Kip, best of luck tomorrow, I will be thinking of you. Xx

Hi Paulus ... lovely to hear from you. Yes, it’s always better to get checked out ... just the way of things now isn’t it. Let’s hope it’s your usual aches and pains just ratcheting up the aging ante.  Hope the chiropractor works  her magic tomorrow and fingers crossed for your appointment next week. Let us know how you are  getting on. 

Kip ... I got the bra free and didn’t get a choice. It’s a black one from womanzone. It is comfy but I  felt ‘strapped in’ when I first wore it with foob...probably because I had only been wearing pull ons before. I did get used to both after wearing them for a day. I’ve not tried foob with any other bras either ... only got Asda bras still but find they are ok. I do have a few pull ons from peacocks and they are good with KK. I really need to get sorted with a few more ’good’ bras, a sports bra and swimming gear too.... plus the rest. You’ll be glad to get your mammogram over with tomorrow.

I hope everyone’s doing ok. The sun has been out today but the winds been rather chilly. Had a good catchup day with some ladies from the moving forward course I did.

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh Paulus what a fiasco...  Good job you were understanding.   Better luck next week hey.

And thinking of you with the mammo - all the best Kip x

Thank you Kip!  Well it turned into something of a fiasco today, and I was Mrs Nice Understanding Patient Patient, haha, as since my mammo, they've ' upgraded the computer system ' . . . . yep you can guess, my appointment was logged in 'the old system' and it seems some of us got deleted !!  I phoned yesterday to check I'd got the day/time right, and told I had - but today, with an upgraded system, new reception staff on all desks, and a backlog of disgruntled people who were/weren't being dealt with . . . . .well there was no way I could have sensibly been fitted in.  Fortunately, it's a London hospital, I live in London, and the sun was shining . . . .and the BC nurse who had arranged it all in the first place who was trying to make it all right,was as good as her word, and phoned me within 10 minutes to offer me an appointment next Wednesday.

I've got chiropractor tomorrow for my aches/pains etc - it's a real nuisance isn't it to add mobility difficulties into the mix !!

So we soldier on . . . . x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

hi Feenix,  the Boudiccea bra always makes me laugh... did you get that one free with the prosthetic?  I got one, its quite nice, just plain flesh coloured, sort of t-shirt bra, nothing fancy or anything and pretty comfy.  I didn't really get a lot of choice on which to have as a freebie.. she just looked at the one I was currently wearing and said this is "good".. its nice though.  Must admit haven't worn the prosthetic for a few days, KK just so easy, though I agree does give a nice shape... and a bit of bounce..Smiley Embarassed  so might keep it for "best".. who'd have thought I'd have a boob just for "best"...

Millionnaires Shortbread...made me salivate...

Kipxx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Paulus,  good to have you back!  Its a funny ole time of year for us all I think.   Good you are getting to chat to someone today about things though.  Fingers crossed for good results too.  It is hard to not put every ache and pain down to BC isn't it.  I have very stiff joints and hips etc and always worry its something else.  I am having physio for my left hip/butt pain and he says its muscular so am going with that for now, it does interfere with my walking too, so very keen to here what they say to you.   I have mammogram tomorrow and then back on 23rd for follow up so will hopefully get chance to chat through everything with the Onc nurse then.   Let us know how you get on.

Kip

x

Hello ladies, you probably won't remember me as I didn't pop in very often, but I was a May 2018 surgery, rads through July/August after a lumpectomy . . . . .it IS that time of year, and I went for my mammo on March 21st and I have an appointment tomorrow that I set up for myself for results and 'a chat'  - I've been on the letrozole since rads, and being older (63) I have a history of aches and pains and occasional sciatica, and got some spine curvature - but about 6 weeks ago, before the mammo, I got stiffness in my right side/hip, and some days the pain was beyond belief - I'm a walker, everywhere, and I couldn't do any of my usual stuff - so I've been seeing chiropractor who I trust and she's been helping me through this, and she's 'sure it's a mechanical problem' - but of course, once we've had The Diagnosis, everything refers back to that doesn't it ' just in case' . . . . hence I contacted the breast cancer nurses who promptly got back to me, and tomorrow, well who knows.  I never opted for anything except the 'basics' such as lumpectomy - no neo-adjuvant chemo or chemo which is recommended with a Grade 3 and in one lymph node out of 11 positive - because that's just the way I am - and I guess I can accept whatever comes my direction tomorrow . . . . I'm so glad you ladies are all still in touch and doing so well.  Hugs aplenty xx

Kip ... great your weight is continuing on a downward trend... getting it off slowly is the best way. I’ve not been on the old scales lately but I have just scoffed a millionaire shortbread bar 😈 .... I’ve not bought any biscuits so far 😇... need another 5kgs off though... need to up the exercise.

I’ll be hoping you and Michelle get your mammogram results ASAP. You are both armed with plenty of info regarding breast density for your follow up. 

I know what you mean comparing KK and prosthetic. KK is much easier but prosthetic does give good shape ... just have to wear the Boudicca bra with it. I’m hoping I can wrangle a super light one.

Michelle ... great you’re back to your running..... And you’re near the end of Herceptin 👍 And starting the Moving Forward course .... hope you enjoy it. Have a great week with your daughters.

Clare .... it’s good to enjoy excellent food. I guess 3 weeks in a health retreat and taxis to appts is the equivalent of our free complimentary therapies etc and voluntary drivers 🤔 I wonder if you get the 3 weeks in one go or in blocks of a week at a time .... very nice either way.

Linda ... good you can make Birmingham.

Ive been ‘North’ so no yoga or hooping but did walk. Yesterday really dull and misty but today different again. ... hope it stays sunny xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks for the information Clare,  I want to go armed with all the knowledge so they know that I know what I'm talking about.   I will be asking at the mammogram (although I doubt they will tell me much) but as I have a follow up on 23 April I will be definately asking then!   and once this is over.. I'm moving to Germany!  Good lord.. that is amazing treatment.  3 weeks away should definately be on the cards for anyone going through this don't you think.   I'm feelign so tired sometimes, hot sweaty nightime sleeps with achy legs/arms etc doesn't help.. just want some sunshine.  We had a beautiful day yesterday.. today.. grey and dismal!

Michelle - I may have the diet thing going on but you sound as if you are doing so well with the exercise.. just being able to run for 5 minutes would be great.  I still hurt everywhere and even though I am walking everyday and swimming every week its not getting better... not sure if the exercise helps or exacerbates it...hard to tell.  But I enjoy my walks so don't want to stop and they help to shift some flab too.  It seems I ache if do and ache if I don't!   Interestingly now have Teva brand Tamoxifen and reading the leaflet one of main SEs is "muscle aches".   Hey ho only 9 and half years to go!!  Still got a stone to get off though and missing choc!! I'm beginning to feel the fear building for Thursday's mammo..and reliving this time last year...

Kip

x

Thanks for the info Claire, I will ask my density when I go, it hasn’t been mentioned up to this point, but knowledge is power as they say!

Health retreat for 3 weeks?!!!! That is an amazing perk of having cancer isn’t it?! Somehow I can’t see our NHS stretching to that! Does your friend have private cover or is it all paid by the government? I had neoadjuvent chemo as mine was grade 3 and it worked for me. I was going to be having a mastectomy but because I had a complete response they decided on a lumpectomy. I hope everything goes as well fornyour friend. Hopefully I will get continued good results this week 🤞🤞

Forgot to say that the hospital provide transport(a taxi service) which takes patients to and from their appointments!!! 

081FEBCD-33CA-41CC-9A18-609875B21A1C.png

If you are in category C or D then the dense tissue - which shows up as white,  could mask a tumour which also shows up as white on a mammogram.  You may need additional screening if the tissue is either C or D as in my case.  Ultrasound should pick up and problems but MRI was the best screening for me.  Hope that’s helpful to those of you having your mammograms soon.  

I have no hope of losing weight at the moment as my family and I have been staying with friends in Germany and the food is delicious!! Interestingly, and sadly my friend was diagnosed with BC a few months after me.  Thankfully due to dense tissue she was given a follow up ultrasound six months after her initial mammogram and ultrasound as she has dense tissue and her tumour is quite small though aggressive.  She’s having neo-adjuvant chemo. and a lumpectomy.  Today she told me that as part of her recovery she is entitled to three weeks stay at a health retreat after she finishes active treatment.  What a great idea!!!! 

I’m envious of those of you losing weight! I just can’t seem to get into ‘the zone’ I’m very much still in the chocolate zone! On a plus side I’m really getting back into running, I did a 10k race the other week and was pleased with my time and I’m getting back into running 3-4 times a week and enjoying it! 

I have a cancer week this week starting today. This morning is herceptin, 16/18 so I’m coming to the end, yay!!! Tomorrow I start Moving Forward, which I’m looking forward to. I feel in the right frame of mind to do it. Friday is the dreaded mammogram. Good luck with yours on Thursday Kip, I will be thinking of you. I hope we both get good results and I hope those results come quickly!

Both my daughters are home this week which is wonderful, we will be celebrating my eldest’s 21st! How did my child get to be so old?!!! 

Have a good week all, keep up the good work with your diets and exercise and keep posting how much you lose, hopefully it will motivate me to quit the choccie! Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

hi Linda, glad you are getting to Birmngham... will be good to meet up.   Sounds like your doc is on the ball, which is very good.  Fingers crossed for your cousin for this week, must be worrying but hopefully its nothing serious.

Thankfully my smear test resuls were all clear, so thats one thing crossed off the list.. not just got to get through the mammogram on Thursday.   Speaking of which... I am going to ask about my breast density as they mentioned it being dense when I was diagnosed last year.  What do I need to know/ask?   I think they grade the density don't they? How does the scale work?  A being good or bad?  Or is it 1 2 3 etc...   Just want to be prepared so they can't fob me off!

Any advise gladly taken...

Hope everyone is ok and had a good weekend, weather was rubbish here, raining and grey and miserable... I think the sun is making a break for it today though... still  misty as yet...

Feenix - I lost another 1lb this week.. slow going but its going  hopefully...

Kip

x

I am coming to Birmingham too. My op is mid to end of May. Will have a mammogram before op which I am glad about as was hoping I would have one yesterday. Hes going to see if I need more tests so thats good too as have dense breasts. I also asked him about the mammogram in June 2016 that showed nothing so hes going to get hold of that too to double check it hopefully.

My cousin had a full check up this week in breast care unit as she is in pain in her arm chest and shoulder. She said it was traumatic and is getting results next week. She had bc 12 years ago.xxx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Feenix,  keep meaning to reply to your message from teh other day regarding the prosthetic.   I find it very comfy and have worn it a lot but I still use my KKs too, they are just a bit lighter.  I sometimes find the prosthetic one heavier and the straps on my bra cut in on that side as I need it tighter to keep it perky!   I'll definatley use it but the KKS are just so easy and light.  I can't imagine what a prosthetic would feel like in a bigger size as mine is only an A cup, must be quite heavy I woudl have thought?

Kip

x

I gave up eating biscuits Kip and cut right down on cakes. I have had a binge on chocolate lately but I’m now back just on dark chocolate regime. I’m not snacking as much and if I do I try and have fruit. I’ve prob put a few chocolate pounds on recently !!! A hooping session would have been good although you would far out hoop me. Thinking of all the damage we’d do knocking crockery etc off tables 😂 Your Hope course has lots of benefits. I still meet up monthly with some of the ladies who did the moving forward course last year. 

Cdc ... good your follow up went well. 

Good luck to you both on your trials. 

Xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning all,

CDC - glad to hear they didn't find anything amiss and just scarring etc.  I keep feeling along my scar and wondering whats what.. I am going to insist they have a good feel on 23rd when I go to ONC.   Sounds like you are on the best path regarding the trial too.   I should get entered properly onto the Add Aspirin next week (bloods tests allowing.. another test result  eek) as I'm meeting the coordinator after I have my mammogram.   As for the hot flushes, horrible aren't they.  I tend to get most during the night and then 1 first thing in the morning...I have heard that the acupunture really helps with them so fingers crossed... just wished it worked for the aches and pains.

Linda - The smear went ok, no problems but still haven't had my results, only been a week though I guess.... every time the letter box goes.. so does my tummy.   Be good to meet you if you can get to Birmingham and any other ladies from your thread too...we'll be a force to be reckoned with!!

Feenix - wow well done on the weight loss even with the chocolate.. tell me your secret.  Good job on getting the hoop going again too...if only I could pack it on the train to Birmingham.. we could have a hooping session Smiley LOL

Its my last session of Hope today, bit sad really, come to like my Thursday afternoons out.. we are going to keep in touch hopefully and meet up again too.  If nothing else.. BC has made me some new friends!  Every cloud...

Kip

x

Hi Linda

we have organised our meet up and it would be lovely if you could come along. We are meeting in Birmingham. If you are interested send me your mobile number and I’ll let you know the details xx

I am going to see my surgeon tomorrow re symmetrising surgery. It is at Sutton in Surrey. Assume you were at chelsea Clare.

How was the smear kip? I am still waiting for my results but hoping no news is good.

I heard back from my e mail to the pm. I was told research shows mammograms should be every 3 years not every 1 year as the surgeon here said. I have the link for research that was done but have not read it yet.

Have you arranged a meeting as was wondering if May chemo could do a joint one although I suggested Swindon but that was a long way for someone in cambridgshire and someone abroad coming in July. I am in herts alot as my parents live there. xxx

I need to go on your diet Jean! I think I’m addicted to chocolate!! Great you’ve still managed to lose weight even though you’ve been eating some! Good to hear you’re hooping again.  I just can’t do it! Just don’t seem to be able to coordinate waist and hips!!

Kip Obviously a tough time waiting for mammogram/results.  I hope all goes well on the 11th.  The radiologist thinks that I have internal scarring and stitching as she couldn’t see anything that worried her on ultra-sound.  I have to keep an eye on the area and if it changes (more modular) I’ll need to go back for an MRI and biopsies.  She was pretty confident all is ok and surgery related but I’ll ceryainly be very cautious.

i am on the endocrine only arm of the Monarch E trial- relieved in a way as I wasn’t looking forward to the chronic diaohrrea that over 90% of those on the additional drug experience.  I will be monitored just as carefully which can’t be a bad thing.  

Just waiting to see the acupuncture specialist at the Marsden.  Just having the most horrible hot flush so hoping she’ll help with that as well as my neuropathy.  

Really need to dig out my fan so bye for now! Xx

Hope no potential dog sitting mishaps today Kip. How are you finding your new foob in comparison to the kk? I’m heading back to the fitter this month as I want to get the lightest possible foob I can. I mainly use my KK ... have plans to finally finish knitting one this week. I finally started hooping again yesterday. Desperately need to tone up ... if that’s even possible at my age 😂In spite of eating chocolate lately, I’ve managed to lose 5 kgs. Just need to get another 5kgs off...if possible. Will have to cut out the milk chocolate bars. 

Have a good day ladies

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Feenix.. yes he's not even my dog.. I babysit him during the weekdays as him "family" all work/school and he hates being alone.. could have been a difficult conversation if he had choked on my tickets..thats not to mention what I would have done to him if he had... ..bad doggie...Cat LOL

CDC... good to hear you are having positive times and trying different activities.... but sorry to hear about your cousin. Enjoy your trip to Germany.

Kip ... Sounds like they have a good dig around to get blood ...ouch. Good you rescued your train tickets 🐶 

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi CDC,  lovely to hear from you and that things are going well.   Glass fusing workshop sounds very interesting.   Good also to hear you are happy with the Marsden and feeling supported there.   Can't imagine any of my Drs giving me a hug!!  I'm now in the dreaded April... mammogram looming.  Just had a blood test for the start of the Add Aspirin trial, good old chemo has wreaked havoc on my veins now though and they struggle to get blood easily, they did eventually after much prodding and poking.   I get those results on 11th when I go for mammogram and will then be randomised by the computer as to what pills I get.   Fingers crossed that you get on the MonarchE trial soon.   Was sorry to hear that your cousin turned out to have the BC afterall... poor girl but she does have a complete expert at her finger tips to help her through.  Enjoy your time away and see you on 11th May (my train tickets came this morning.. dog nearly ate them!!!).

Kip

x

Hi Everyone and sorry for the delay in posting 

Had a hectic couple of weeks but mainly positive things such as visiting my sister in Reading and doing a glass fusing workshop together and heading to Surrey for a family get together.  Also hospital appointments coming out of my earS - check up with Plastic Surgeon, seeing the research consultant, I should star Monarch E trial on Wednesday if bloods come back Ok.  I really feel comfortable at the Royal Marsden now.  Everyone is so lovely.  My surgeon gave me a huge hug when I told him I’m struggling a bit emotionally.  I also have a hardened area on the left whichhe is sure is the edge of the flap or fat necrosis but he’s ordered an ultrasound just to reassure me as the area is in the same position as the original tumour and was freaking me out. I’m just writing this in a cafe as they’ve rearranged today’s appointment for an hour later. 

Jean you’re right about the psychological side of things being hard I’m also getting more active and even joined a yoga class at Maggie’s.  It was great but it was exhausting as it’s the first time I’ve really stretched my body since my op in Jan.  

Sounds like you’re trying hard with your diet Kip.  I’ve given up!! Too any chocolates given to me for mother’s day and I just didn’t have the will power at the moment.  I’m trying to up my vegetable and fruit intake in the hipe it will somehow counteract the chocolate bars and cake! I’m so impressed with the hooping.  I’m hopeless.

I know what you mean about the last year being surreal Michelle.  I realise I’ve sort of blocked or lit because whenever someone asks me about the last year my default is to go back to 2017 thinking I’m talking about 2018- such as Des robing a great holiday last year and realising it  must have been the year before!!

Linda Lovely  to hear you got away to Egypt and about the new car,  I’m off to visit my lovely friend in Germany on Saturday.  She’s currently going through chemo but insists that my family and I stay with her.

sadly my cousin’s diagnosis was confirmed and she’ll have amastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction at the end of April. She’s sounding pretty upbeat and I’m hoping I can support her.

Take Care xxx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Well done on the 5 miles Feenix!   I did 5 miles too.. paying for it today though.. everything seized up so you are very lucky.   Yup turned the calendar over today... gave it a good stare and decided to not look at it... deep breath, focus on what I can change... and wait until it happens.   Thats the mantra for today.. ask me again tomorrow.. might be different.

Hoop has been whirling today...might have another go later, it does help to ease the achy hips sometimes.

Kip

x

Kip..  Glad the hooping went down well. My goal is to pick my hoop up daily, from today, no matter how much or how little I do. 👍 for weight loss. I’m conscious you’ll have turned the page on your calendar today.... use your Hope course techniques/strategies. That course sounds really good. I’ll have to make enquiries about the one here. 

I did a 5 mile walk yesterday ... my feet were so sore and I was hobbling afterwards. Just goes to show how unfit I am. Anyway, I was fine after a couple of hours ... thought I would be seizing up for a couple of days!!! Yoga today.

I hope you all had a good weekend

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all,

Well the hoop went down really well... everyone had a go and a laugh.   It was very apt as this week was all about fitness, exercise and healthy eating (although we talked so much about fitness etc we have to discuss diet next week!).   We were given pedometers to encourage more steps, and given so many booklets with different classes available in the area, discounts for gyms etc.. all very exicitng.. well just to look at so far!!  We also discussed self esteem and how we feel about ourselves..very interesting.. we are all hard on ourselves about the new "us" it seems, when actually most other people don't even notice.

It seems we are all feeling the difficulties that this time of year brings.. I am dreading turning my calendar over to April... there in black and white "Mammogram".. "Hospital appt".. etc.. and the 1 year anniversary... The Hope course has given me ways of dealing with the anxiety but its still real and scary and sometimes takes over.  we were advised to acknowledge it but most of all.. try to pre-empt it.. if the anniversary is going to scare you... make sure you do something else that day.. etc... Unfortunately for me, on my 1st year anniversary I will be having a mammogram so hard to forget last year when I will be stood in exactly the same spot!   

All we can do is take it a day at a time... BE KIND TO OURSELVES (big Hope mantra) and always talk about it... hopefully as time goes on things get easier but I guess this time of year will always bring the wobbles with it.

Feenix - diet going ok thanks.. so far managing to stick to it (well almost.. did have a Hot X Bun at Hope yesterday) but have walked everyday and hooped too and its swimming tonight... if I haven't lost an ounce this week I'll be annoyed!

Kip

x

I also wonder about how is the best way to get through (and enjoy) the next 12 months. You are not wrong with the hardest side being the psychological. It’s easy to say things like ‘don’t worry about things you can’t control’ but actually acting on that is much harder. 

Yes enjoy the simple things is a good place to start and what’s not to like about this weather?   

X

Hope the hooping went well yesterday Kip ... you’ll have taught your group a new exercise technique. Hope you're doing ok diet wise. I’ve been into chocolate the past two days !!! Saw you lovely pic on chemo thread. 

Michelle ... The last year certainly has a surreal feel to it but we have our reminders. My diagnosis was the week before you but I didn’t even think about it on the day, although I acknowledged it a few days before. We all hope that we won’t have to go through last year again for sure. I sometimes wonder if this second year will be somewhat ‘harder’ than last, in a different way though.  Just getting back to ‘normal’, adapting, adjusting and what that now entails .... we will do so in our own ways. The emotional/psychological side was/is certainly the hardest to get to grips with. 

The sun is shining, a walk is planned, the washing is out... simple things but good to be doing them.

hugs xx

Good news on your bowel screen Jean, one less thing to worry about. 

How did the hoop go down at the Hope course Kip? Were they impressed with your moves? 

Congrats on the house Clare, it must be so exciting and good to look forward again. How are the party plans going? Is everything booked?

It is one year today that I was diagnosed with cancer. It still feels unreal. Like us all im hoping that was it, my brush with cancer is over and I can go on as before but with more drive and enthusiasm for life. X

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jean,

Well I started the diet on Monday and so far so good...but I find the first week I am enthusiastic and then my will power drops.. but I am determined not to hit summer not fitting into my clothes.   I am taking the hoop to Hope today, its a session on diet, fitness and self esteem so they asked I bring it today... should be fun.  Just the thought of choccie biccies makes me salivate... oh well better have a carrot stick..

Kip

Well done on getting through you smear Kip. How’s the diet going? I’ve not bought any biscuits  for ages ... but I do compensate with other things 😈.  Maybe after Easter I’ll revert back to norm and succumb to a chocolate digestive or 3 ... only as a treat though !!! I’ve been out for a walk this morning but need to get out again later too. Hoop has been abandoned lately. Did you take yours to the Hope session? Still nowhere near to trying out swimming...it’s some years since I’ve been but I know it would be beneficial.

Ive done my bowel cancer screening and that came back ok ... another thing out of the way. 

Watching politics at the mo ... 😮 

have a good day ladies xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Morning everyone,  well smear test done, lovely nurse who asked how I was fairing on the Tamoxifen, told her I ache like anything and she gave a knowing smile and said "yes, unfortunately that is par for the course, but better than the not taking it".   Then off to physio, he pushed and pulled me around a bit and said he still thinks I have a very weak glute on the left which has caused me to aggrevate the hamstring.. so more exercise to fit in and back in 3 weeks time.   hey ho.. he's a nice young man if nothing else...Smiley Wink

Kip

x

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Wow sounds like everyone is being very productive, what with houses, glasses, cars, yoga and gardening... check us!!

I did another walk yesterday, still ache just as much but not worse, so have decided to do what makes me smile and just put up with the aches.  On a plus note, managed to get the pharmacy to put a note on my future prescriptons to only prescribe Teva brand of Tamoxifen, at least I can have some consistency whilst I untangle what is causing the aches.   Off the docs today for smear test (urgh but necessary - just more worrisome results) then off to physio.  Full afternoon but lovely and sunny and good to be out and about.

Take care all

Kip

PS.. started diet again today... here we go again.. gonna do it this time... ha famous last words...Smiley Very Happy

Kip ..pleased you’re hooping, walking and swimming. I’ve just been to yoga, not really hooped lately and not walking as much as I should ... very bad. I have been out in the garden though and clocked up a couple of miles just pottering around. I’ve definitely got to get out and go further later today. Sounds like you have to walk miles just attending your breast clinic. Your OH fundraising efforts will be well received. 

Clare ... glad you’ve had a productive trip and got yourself a home by the sea.... planning ahead for retirement is good.  Sorry to hear your cousins sister is going through the BC rollercoaster ... fingers crossed for MRI results.

Michelle ... hope you’re good

Linda ... 👍 getting your new car, glasses and having your holiday

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,  yes my hospital is a mare for results and I will definitely be asking about breast density when I am there..

Cdc firstly how exciting to be buying a property,  I'm a great believer in fate and all those signs mean it was destined for you.  So poignant you saw it on the year anniversary of finding the lump... Something good to replace that memory.  So sorry to hear your cousin is having to go through tests,  fingers crossed all is well.

Linda it would be great to meet you too,   faces to names woukd be excellent.

Ive walked 3.5 miles today and done some gardening which was great.  Also visited a car boot as son at work and daughter in Belgium on a school trip.  Now very stiff and achy but pleased I did it .  Time to stop now

Kip

That is interesting re a letter for dense breasts. I was told that they could see the tumour on the mammogram and as my breast type is B possibly C I did not need any other tests apart from a mammogram in future. I still wonder why nothing was picked up in June 2016 when I found a 51 mm lump well it was 3 lumps and calcification in March 2018. I will ask again when I see my surgeon and onc. 

I have e mailed the PM again for the 3rd time re mammograms being done yearly as had no reply.

I got a new 17 reg blue Ecosport yesterday and new blue glasses. Went to Egypt for a hol too.

I would like to move to the coast again as originally from Lytham St. Annes in Lancs. Maybe in October when my mortgage ends or next May when my endowment pays out. I will still have one until I am 65 but it will be alot smaller next year. I am about 30 mins from coast now near Taunton.

Anyway I just thought I would say that May chemo are discussing a meet up too. Maybe we could join up? I would love to meet you all too! 

Love Linda xxx