Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery May 2021

74 REPLIES 74
jacqu

Re: Surgery May 2021

@Sarahx 

Hi Sarah

Glad to hear you’re on the mend, hope it all goes well for you now.

Spoke to my BC nurse who agreed that my appointment shouldn’t have turned out like that and it has all been recorded on my notes. Test is now being done and I have an appointment in two weeks.

No, I’m not driving, hubby is my chauffeur for the moment as I have to hold the seatbelt under the affected side.

Need the sun back to lift our moods ☺️

Thanks for your wishes. Take care xx

Jacqu xx

Sarahx

Hi jacqu, 

So sorry you had such a long and disappointing day! How awful for you. I really hope this course of antibiotics work well for you and clear up that infection very soon. I have finished my antibiotics now and wound has dried up and the infected area looks like its healing well now thankfully. 

What a nightmare start to your Oncology experience, really not what you need, we are all going through enough without added stresses. I really feel for you, when do you go back to see them? My first oncology appointment is next Tuesday 6th July.

Are you driving yet? I haven't tried yet, been letting the infection and wounds heal first and still quite tender so a bit concerned about seatbelt! 

Sending lots of infection free wishes 😉

Sarah xx

jacqu

Sarahx

Hi jacqu,

It is very frustrating!! Yes, I have also been more tearful in last couple of weeks than in the wait for surgery! I know we will get there and can do this but frustrating at the moment. 

Hope your infection has cleared by next week and the oncology appointment goes ok, I have mine on 6th July. Please let me know how you get on,

Sending more healing wishes!

Sarah xx

jacqu

Hi Sarahx 

Sorry to hear you also have an infection, it’s so frustrating. You’d think with surgery behind us and getting on with recovery, taking it carefully, doing all the right things but our bodies have other thoughts! I’ve been more tearful now than I was in the weeks from diagnosis to surgery.

I had antibiotics only two weeks ago from GP for an UTI, now given stronger antibiotics from clinic for the breast infection, fingers crossed that these ones are a double whammy and clear up both at the same time.

Back to clinic in one week to check if infection has cleared. 😔

Sending you healing wishes too!

Jacqu XX

Sarahx

Hi jacqu,

So sorry to hear you have an infection, very annoying when you were healing so well. I am getting frustrated now and tearful at times as not healing! I finish my 2nd course of antibiotics today for a wound infection, a small part of my wound still has not healed and lots of trips back & forth to hospital for wound checks & dressings. 

I hope your infection soon clears up, are you feeling well in yourself? 

Sending healing wishes,

Sarah xx

jacqu

I was healing well and doing my excercises each day, however breast became very pink and warm yesterday, call to BC nurse this morning followed by trip to clinic to be examined, now on antibiotics for infection. Rollercoaster 😒

disneyj

Hi Shi and thank you. Yes I’m totally scrambled at the minute, but I have to hope this too passes 🤞.

Thank you also for signposting me to the mountain lion post by strawberry blonde - it’s very on point right now, and you’re right its an inspiring read ❤️. Thank you and take care x.

disneyj

Hi Sharlea thank you so much for your lovely message, and the positivity that chemotherapy doesn’t equal the end! Wow literally climbing mountains that’s inspiring.

I’m 48 and definitely pre-menopausal. After reading of the importance of establishing status on the forum I asked to be tested after my initial diagnosis. I’ve had c20+ years on the pill, largely without periods and so honestly had no clue given my age.  The blood test confirmed my pre-menopausal status, but I’ve also now restarted periods (yay er not really) and so I get why they’re saying Tamoxifen at this stage, given I have strongly ER+ but HER2- cancer.

Due to previous surgeries I am limited in what anti-sickness meds I can take, and my abdominal damage makes this difficult too. I really don’t know enough yet to say what is possible, but I am grateful for your lovely message and hope x.

jacqu

Hi all

To sarah, disneyj & sharlea, thank you so much for your replies, hugs and good wishes.

@disneyj

I’m so sorry you are going through this, I really hope things improve greatly for you xx

@sharlea

You sound like a very strong person with a great attitude to life!

It was my surgeon at breast clinic who told me they were waiting for the result of the OncotypeDX test and that I’m now under the care of the Oncology Department, so waiting to hear from them.

I am also post-menopausal (65 last month), rather worried about taking long term medications and possible side effects but realise that it’s to prevent recurrence.

Unfortunately, after the BC treatment I will be having kidney surgery, can’t believe so much has happened already this year. (Blood in urine in March, 2ww to Urology, cystoscopy, blood tests and CT urogram). Fortunately not cancer but kidney stones. Urologist has said the position of the stones requires surgery, can’t be “zapped”. It was during the 2ww for Urology that I found my breast lump on self-examination. Cue a 2ww for Breast Clinic and what followed within just six weeks.

Anything else? This week I’ve been prescribed antibiotics for an UTI (not usual for me) and Amlodipine for high blood pressure... no wonder my BP is high! To think that my GP commented to me that I’m rarely at the surgery, thanks Doc for jinxing that record, this year is certainly making up for that shortfall! Sorry for the moan ladies.

Best wishes to all xx

Jacqu 

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Disneyj ❤️ Talk away on the threads that’s what everyone is here for, you are not bringing the mood down, this is everyone‘ a (safe, scream, laugh, cry special space) ❤️And everyone just gets it 👭 do ring the nurses on here, it’s a lot to process, you are probably still getting your head round you got told you have breast cancer and then before you know it, it’s appointments, planning, making decisions you never ever expected to have to make and it all happens so fast. Step back and breathe ❤️ You always do what’s right for you each step of the way, you are in control even if you don’t think you are. If you have not read mountain lion by strawberry blonde in hope and inspiration bit, please do, it has helped so many of us over the years ❤️💕💕Shi xx

sharlea

Hi disneyj, sorry to hear your preliminary news not as good as wanted, and you’re having problems with the wound. From what I’ve read in the Oncotype leaflet, it’s only applicable if between 0-3 lymph nodes clear. Without me asking too much, it seems that the Tamoxifen is due to your being pre menopausal. I’m having Anastraloze as post menopausal along with Bisphosphonates to prevent spreading to the bones. As for the chemo, well, I don’t know yet about what I’m going to have, but, it doesn’t have to be as bad as you might think. They will prepare a combination of drugs that are suitable for your specific cancer, what grade it is, and provide anti sickness if needed.

i had very strong chemo in 1994, along with anti sickness, and yes, lost my hair, but here I am many years later, it worked and I was able to enjoy life, teach, climb mountains (literally) and hopefully, provide some support and encouragement to younger women or those who are just starting out with this journey. I’m sure your kids and husband want to see you around for many years to come. Take care, xx

sharlea

Hi jacqu,

glad to hear things are going well, with clear margins and lymph nodes. Did you have an initial appointment with oncology to agree to the oncotype testing? Just ask No because I’ve an appointment with oncology at the end of June and was given an Oncotype leaflet at my post op check up and results on Monday, and told they’d discuss it at the meeting.

keeping fingers crossed for you,

disneyj

Hi so I got my preliminary results on Friday (final ones not back yet!) and unfortunately its not good. 2 cancerous tumours not sure of size but think consultant said both c2cm+, area between the 2 no results or size yet but fear is pre/cancerous, also spread to 6/8 lymph nodes they removed. My wound has an area which isn’t healing as quickly as they’d like so it was redressed yesterday and I’ve to go back for redressing and assessment if I need to return to theatre for them to clean it out and reseal- totally not cool given my PTSD!!! Oh and if that wasn’t enough they’re now muttering CT scan before chemotherapy, radiotherapy and 10 years of Tamoxifen. They don’t seem receptive to doing the Oncotype Dx testing at all because of the positive lymph nodes. I’m bereft. I absolutely don’t want to have chemotherapy and it feels like the nightmare that just keeps on giving atm tbh. My initial thought is to just opt out of everything else and “enjoy” the time I’ve got left as I don’t want to put my kids or husband (or me) through chemotherapy or any more stuff. Sorry to bring the mood down ladies.  I am genuinely pleased for those with better news than I. Take care all x.

disneyj

Hi Jacqu so good to hear that your results and margins are good with clear lymph nodes!

its also reassuring that they’re offering you Oncotype Dx testing to see if chemotherapy will be of benefit 🤞that you’ll be spared chemo x

Sarahx

Hi jacqu,

Brilliant news, so pleased for you! Keeping my fingers crossed for you all that only radiotherapy and no chemo needed.

Wishing you a continued good recovery,

Sarah xx

jacqu

Hi everyone

Hope you are all recuperating well after surgery.

Two weeks on from my surgery, still swollen and bruised, seroma not completely gone but it is smaller, was asked yesterday at my results appointment if I wanted it drained but told surgeon I’d rather leave it to reabsorb naturally. 

So results are...lump removed, clear margins, lymph nodes clear 0/3, now waiting for OncotypeDX result to find out if next step will be radiotherapy or chemotherapy. Keeping fingers crossed it will be the former.

Hugs to all. xx 

Jacq

Sarahx

Hi disneyj, 

Well done with the sticky stuff removal!! It is a pain.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry. Monday was less than 2 weeks after your surgery so very early for results anyway, reading some other peoples posts they have waited 4-5 weeks. My results were only just ready and went to MDT on monday lunchtime, just before my appointment and that was 2 weeks and 4 days after surgery! My results were good after that time so please don't panic. I am sure it doesn't mean anything that they weren't ready for monday.

Thinking of you and fingers crossed for good news soon,

Sarah xx

disneyj

Thanks Sarahx. I’d already tried wet wipes without any effect 😳!! Honestly I think road tar has less adhesive properties. I tried nail varnish remover this morning which after some scrubbing has removed most but not all of the residue, and I’ll have another go tomorrow. I’m having a bit of a wobble again today, as I’d psyched myself up not only to go back to the clinic yesterday (due to my PTSD) but felt ok about the sledgehammer that will be results, only for that not to happen. Today, however illogical, I’m convinced that when they’re in they’ll be bad and involve a massive upstaging and upgrading and not only more surgery but chemo and radiotherapy plus a pharmacy of drugs! And so the rollercoaster goes on eh?

At least it seems from the forum that whether or not chemotherapy would be beneficial is being tested (Oncotype) rather than a blanket referral to chemo,

Take care all x

Sarahx

Hi disneyj,

So sorry about the delay in your results, I just read that on sharlea's post. I got a call on friday saying that mine wouldn't be ready for this morning so they changed my appointment to this afternoon. 

Good news that your drain is gone though 👍 Acetone may help with the sticky bits, just keep away from the wounds! I didn't have loads but the sticky stuff wears off with time as you clean it. Think I might have got rid of some with just wet wipes!

Good luck,

Sarah xx

disneyj

Hi Sarahx so pleased for you that your results are good that’s really encouraging 👍. Sorry to hear that your wound isn’t quite there yet but it definitely sounds like it’s improving, and the antibiotics will help with that. I’m really pleased for you xx.

Unfortunately I’m not really much further forward today, since my results aren’t back yet and haven’t been through MDT 😔. I’m told that there’s nothing sinister in that as several ladies are in the same position, but that doesn’t stop my overactive catastrophic mind right now. On the positive side I finally got rid of the drain yay!!! Oh and I’m almost finished with the 2 week course of antibiotics I was discharged with. I’m told that the wound is healing well, and looks better today even than it did on Friday last week 🤞. I just need to get rid of the horrible sticky dressing residue now that’s all over my torso! The bcn today suggested nail polish remover (acetone?) has anyone found anything better?

Sarahx

Hi disneyj,

How did it go at your appointment today? 

My cancer has all been removed, and lymph nodes clear other than some micro cancer spots (can't remember proper names!) but will all be treated with radiotherapy and hormone tablet treatment, so good news!

I do have an infection in a small part of my wound though, so needed another iodine dressing and a course of antibiotics but fingers crossed will all heal ok now.

Hope you had some positive news too,

Sarah xx

Sarahx

Hi Brekken,

Welcome! I totally agree with disneyj, and what a rollercoaster you have been on! I was still trying to get my head around everything a week after diagnosis, I think the breathing space before surgery helped to think it all through. I am sure it is entirely normal for your emotions to now be catching up and you need to be nice to yourself. 

I guess the time off work depends on upcoming treatment and the type of work you do. I am a nurse so work is both physically & mentally demanding, I am lucky and have a very supportive employer, but I have told them that I have no intention of going back to work between surgery and radiotherapy. It is important to allow ourselves to recover fully, and that includes the emotional element. No one will thank you for rushing back to work and you don't want it to be detrimental to your health, so again, be kind to yourself! Practice that self-compassion ❤

Take care,

Sarah xx

disneyj

Brekken hello and welcome 👋. I’m sorry to hear your diagnosis but pleased that you’re joining in. I had a single full mx, snb and immediate implant reconstruction surgery on 25/5 so almost 2 weeks ago now and a little behind you. Unlike you I’ve had quite a bit of pain, although it is now subsiding.  Like you I’ve also had/have the shooting pains at times which I’m sure I’ve read is nerve healing/reconnecting. The bcns on here can specifically advise re this plus of course your own medical team, but I’ve read of others experiencing similar, and I’m not unduly worried about these.

From the moment of diagnosis I’ve found it is an emotional rollercoaster, mangle and tsunami combined, and so if your surgery happened hot on the heels of diagnosis it sounds entirely normal to me that your emotions are struggling to catch up. I too am always my harshest critic, and so I also understand when you say that you struggle with self care, but please try and persevere. You’re doing your absolute best to try and do what you need to do to get through this bleeping storm right now, and in my book that means that if you need a good cry now and then that’s entirely normal and understandable. Similarly, if you need to lie on the sofa and watch a trashy film with a bowl of fruit/chocolate bar that too is fine! Eventually this too will pass - we have to believe that.

I can’t really help re time off work as I work in our business - I knew sleeping with the boss had to have some advantages lol! All I would say is that it’s still relatively early days for you post surgery, and there’s no such thing as a standard time off work. Thankfully we’re all limited edition and unique, and from what you say it sounds too early (yet) for you, to do a full return to work. I would talk to your medical team and employer. Do you know what plan there is for any further treatment/medication/surgery? Perhaps your employer would be open to a phased return increasing from part time? There is employment legislation in place to protect those diagnosed with cancer. 

I’m sending you a virtual hug and positive vibes. Whatever you decide to do let us know how you’re doing x

Brekken

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but  had single mastectomy with implant reconstruction nearly 3 weeks ago now and they took out 2 lymph nodes. I was surprised how little pain I had after surgery (especially compared to appendectomy and caesarian!) but I'm now getting a long of really painful shooting pains. I assume it's the nerves waking up?

I also have cording under my arm and its quite painful and hard where they took the lymph nodes out. I have some physio exercises but I feel like they are pulling at the incision so difficult to know how much to push it. I had total nipple removal as had extensive DCIS which extended into the nipple area. 

I went private and it all happened really quickly for me, with the surgery less than a week after diagnosis. So grateful for the speed of it but I'm now trying to deal with all the emotions. I feel like maybe I stayed too strong and didn't let myself feel anything emotionally at the time and now I just keep crying at random times and feeling down even though its all over. 

I was wondering how long people normally take off work? I think I'm physically OK to work again but mentally cannot concentrate even to read a book and am so tired all the time. Feel like a fraud being off work when I'm not "ill" as such but then self-compassion has never been one of my strong points!

disneyj

Hi Sarahx sadly the drain is still (just about) in, although it’s really uncomfortable and feels like it is hanging and dragging despite 2 attempts to re-dress/hang/tidy it. I also got my wounds redressed on Friday, but since my surgeon prefers the drain to stay in for 2 weeks post op its been left in, although it’s draining next to nothing now. Like you I’m back to see the surgeon on Monday probably with results and a discussion of what’s next - I’m dreading it, and given my PTSD I don’t know how on earth I’ll cope if further surgery is required. I still feel quite sore but then despite feeling like it’s been ages I suppose in real terms it is still early days, I’m just impatient to regain independence and the car keys lol!

Good luck for Monday’s appointment, and come back and let us know how you get on xx

jacqu

Update:

Dressings removed but an edge is still healing so new steri strips applied, very tender on outer side, nurse noted that I had a lot of bruising (I’m fragile!) and seroma left for the moment as nurse told me if she inserted a needle breast would deflate dramatically. Left clinic with the gift of a lovely heart cushion for my armpit. ❤️

xx

Hi Sarah

Thanks. Still tender and swollen, have the odd twinge and my underarm feels like it’s stuck together, must be the dressing. The sloshing noise happens on every step I take, so I’m being deliberately slow getting around, been very lazy this week apart from doing the excercises three times a day. That’s good that you were warned about seromas, glad I looked for info on this website and not google! Happier when these dressings come off tomorrow and what happens re seroma, needles don’t bother me but think I’d prefer if it’s a case of “wait and see” if it reabsorbs soonish.

Healing wishes xx

Jacqu

Sarahx

Hi jacqu,

How are you getting on? Bet you were very freaked out by the sloshing noises! I was actually warned about seroma and given information and contact numbers in case, it is quite common and nothing to be worried about unless it becomes painful I believe. Sometimes they leave them to reabsorb into the body & sometimes they need to drain them, maybe a few times before they settle. I'm in Leicestershire and the Breast care centre actually have a seroma clinic twice a week so must be fairly common! Hope you get on well with wound check tomorrow and feeling ok otherwise,

Take care,

Sarah xx

Sarahx

Hi disneyj,

Glad to hear you got on ok on Tuesday and Pico & socks gone! How long do you have to keep the drain in for? I was so pleased to get my drain out, I kept catching it! My wound check went well on Tuesday, all looking good & healing ok. I'm feeling surprisingly well really, just very tender on arm side of breast. I go back to see the surgeon on Monday so hopefully will get results and next treatment plan.

Stay well & take care,

Sarah xx

Crooky

Hi Disneyj,

I’m nervous about the equalisation surgery but maybe a bit less than I was about the first one.  The hard part is living on my own because I can’t rest up like they say you should but I’m definitely going to rest up more this time instead of trying to prove I’m invincible!   I’m more anxious about whether they find more cancer they’re not expecting to find which I know is silly but I can’t help it.  The other thing is that I still have some discomfort from the first one although the surgeon did say it can take 6 months to a year to settle.  They warn you about potential  loss of sensation in the nipple because they have moved it but my goodness mine is so sensitive I have to have a piece of cotton inside my pad in my bra to stop it rubbing, especially now it actually moves a bit instead of being a rock attached to my chest. I’m completely numb under my arm from the SNB which is strange and may never recover sensation apparently.  At least I don’t have to go through that on the other side 🙂.  I keep telling myself that all this is a small price to pay to get rid of the cancer though xx. On the shower front I did manage to sit on my knees in the bath with my pico in a plastic bag hanging over the side.  I washed myself down and used the shower head to rinse so it was almost a shower and I managed to wash my hair at the same time.  Good luck everyone xxxx

jacqu

@disneyj 

Hi 

Glad to hear you’re on that healing road and a tad more comfortable. Thanks for sending your positive vibes!

I found info on seromas posted on some surgery posts here, but it would have been nice to be forewarned! I’m not in pain, just the odd twinge, nor very swollen, managing my excercises and considering I’m only an A cup my bra seems to be keeping it under control! I have a clinic appointment this Friday to remove dressings so will ask my BC nurse more about this. Was planning to go out for a walk but didn’t have a good nights sleep as it was hard to get comfortable. The days seem to go so fast, appointments, diagnosis, surgery, results next week and any further treatment. This sunny weather is hopefully helping our mood and healing.

Best wishes to all xx

disneyj

Hi Jacqu oh crickey that would have freaked me out too! Have you managed to get in touch with your breast care team yet? I don’t remember anyone discussing seromas pre-op but I might have missed it, not sure I know what it is. Do you need to have it drained?  Hopefully your care team can help/advise/sort it out for you soon🤞. Sending you hugs and positive vibes.

I’m just back from the clinic, and my pico and super sexy stockings have gone 👋 🎉!! My drain is here to stay (for now) but it was redressed and is more comfortable than before. I think generally they’re pretty happy with the wound so far and 🤞that continues. I’m back on Friday for another wound check. The bcn today says it can take up to 6 months for the wound and implant to finally settle down and reach its end shape?!! Every day’s a school day eh?

How’s everyone else doing? Sending everyone good wishes this sunny day 👋 

jacqu

Evening all

Not allowed to shower because of dressings so had a VERY shallow bath, however when the water had drained away I could hear a strange sloshing sound. What the heck is that weird sound and where is it coming from?

Ladies, how long do you think it took me to realise that the sloshing sound was actually coming from my BOOB??? Having just freaked out at my boob’s acoustics, I had to google what the heck it was! Aha! It’s a seroma! Why did no one mention this at the clinic? This is all new to me 🤷‍

Hope everyone is coping ok and recovering well xx

disneyj

Hi Sarahx and I’m sorry to hear that you had such an eventful Friday. Luckily I’ve not leaked that much but I’m obsessed by the colour and amount of discharge in the drain. My pico is actually driving me nuts now too since it’s constantly buzzing and sucking, and makes it difficult to rest. I know I sound like a very ungrateful individual when pico isn’t offered to everyone, but I’m so tired. I think someone said that the pico battery only lasts a week anyway. I’m back at the clinic tomorrow (delayed a day due to B/H) when I’m expecting to lose this pico and be redressed, probably with a more regular dressing? How are you getting on with the iodine dressing?

Hopefully tomorrow we’ll both get sorted out wound checked and reset again, let us know how you get on. Best wishes everyone 🤗 

disneyj

Hi Crooky and wow you have a new date I’ll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. How are you feeling about equalisation, is that as scary as the original surgery? I’m really pleased to hear that your pico worked so well, and hope that mine is paying attention and will also perform well 🤞. Since its initial faltering steps and return visit to clinic last week, my pico is now constantly buzzing like an over excited love toy iykwim!! Its driving me nuts and my skin is sucked into a very fetching ripple pattern 😬 so I’m really hoping it’s going to be worth it 🤞, either that or I’ll need a good ironing 😂.

disneyj

Hi Miopus good to hear from you. My surgery was last Tuesday, so I’m a day behind you. If I’ve understood you correctly, you had surgery on both sides? No wonder if you’re still sore! I’m sending you a great big virtual hug and want to say well done! I only had one side operated on (for now) but am still quite sore atm, but I hope & think each day things will move a tiny bit forward, even if it doesn’t always seem that way to us.

Do you have a follow up clinic appointment yet? Do you have drain(s) in still? Personally I think I’ll feel much better when I can ditch my little friend in a bag and have a shower! Let us know how you’re doing xx

miopus

Hi

Had therapeutic mammoplasty last Monday and mastectomy also. How  are you doing ?

Crooky

I’m so glad to hear you’re all doing well.  The little vacuum dressing is such an amazing thing but it’s really expensive so maybe that’s why not everyone is lucky enough to have it.  My equalisation surgery is on 18th June and I’m really hoping that the surgeon uses it again.  

Sarahx

Hi,

Good to hear that everyone seems to be recovering well following surgery, big hugs and well done to us all. 

I have been very sore & swollen but seems to be improving now and just taking paracetamol. My wounds leaked alot on Friday so I had to go back to the ward for nurses & Dr to check and redress, they discussed a suction dressing like yours disneyj, but I ended up with iodine dressings and am going back on Tuesday for another wound check. Just hoping all heals well, makes it more of a worry! 

Stay well and enjoy a relaxing, sunny bank holiday all,

Sarah xx

disneyj

Oh Jacqu well done you for being spooked, feeling the fear and doing it anyway! You’re awesome!

I’m also in the no bath/showers club and I could cheerfully set fire to the glamour stockings 😆! I had to go to the clinic to get my pico (sucking) dressing checked on Thursday as it wasn’t sucking, so the tapes have been slightly modified, but it and the drain have to stay in at least until Tuesday next week. I think originally they said that I’d have to keep the drain and glamour stockings for 2 weeks post op but I’m hoping it won’t be that long. Today just to add variety the pico has started sucking repeatedly for about 10 minutes at a time (machine glows green so all good), and sounds like a mumbled phone ringing out - where’s the answerphone gone 😂?! 

We’re definitely moving forwards ladies - well done all x

sharlea

Hello jacqu, sorry to hear you had such a long day, and with that wobble too, but it sounds like the caring nurse was really helpful. I hope all goes well with your recovery. I had my surgery on Tuesday, and the district nurse removed the drain this morning, thankfully all is looking good. I agree, bless our nhs.

jacqu

Hope everyone who’s had surgery is doing ok. I had surgery on Wednesday, it was a long day, went in at 7am, home at 7.30pm as I didn’t go to theatre until early afternoon then spent longer in recovery because my BP was very high. I did have a bit of a wobble during my long wait (brought on by something in the waiting room) but the lovely nurse took me to a quiet room where I promptly burst into tears, poor nurse apologised for not being able to give me a hug due to Covid rules, they let me stay in the room until the anaesthetist came to fetch me for theatre. Pain is bearable, taking co-codamol when I feel the need. Have to keep dressings dry so no showers, shallow bath only. In clinic next week for removal of dressings then results one week later.

Have to say every member of staff was wonderful, bless our NHS.

Cant believe we’re almost June! xx

sharlea

Hello disneyj, glad to hear you’re back out and feeling glamorous. They’re just so fetching those white socks! Glad to hear the staff were kind and understanding, hopefully now you can concentrate on your healing and spend time relaxing and not feeling so worried. Hope hubby is making you lots of cuppas.

my op went well and I’m feeling a lot better than expected. All the staff were friendly and kept me well informed. Even the big man surgeon was a pleasant chap, said he didn’t do “dog ears”, so we were able to even have a bit of banter. District nurse has just gone and said all is looking well, I have some sort of vacuum drain, just changed, even might be able to have it out in a couple of days.

Hope your recovery goes really well and you feel good real soon, take care,x

Sarahx

Hi disneyj,

Well done for feeling up to posting a message nevermind getting through the surgery and going home on the same day! Amazing! you did so well.

I did have a drain which came out on day 4, just had to measure drainage every day and let the nurses know, not too bad to contend with but did catch it & pull it a few times!

Hope your recovery goes well, get lots of rest and take care,

Sarah xx

disneyj

Hello Sharlea how are you doing? I hope you’re ok and that your surgery today went well today 🤞? I’m sending you lots of positive thoughts..

I managed not to bolt but OMG it was a close run thing! The staff were all incredibly kind to me today and tried super hard to understand, and for that I’m really grateful to them all. I’m totally drugged up and super glamorous (not) in my trendy stockings, drain and sucking dressing but … I made it home and am so relieved!

disneyj

Crooky thank you for sharing your experience with the “sucky” battery operated wound dressing. It does sound a bit weird but it’s reassuring to know that it helped you! Good luck at your oncologist appointment on Tuesday.

Re further surgery anxiety it’s understandable as we’re all the product of our experiences, and cancer has dealt your body a huge shock. Be kind to yourself. You have already come so far and are travelling onwards and upwards, not backwards and downwards. Take care x

disneyj

Sarahx thank you for messaging I had noted that your surgery was ahead of mine (& Sharlea’s) and wondered how you were doing. 4 days later is really no time at all so thank you for taking time to respond. I think its more normal to stay overnight for most people, I just can’t contemplate that because of my particular sensitivities. My husband is under strict instructions to break me out of there at all costs or else it’s divorce!! From previous surgeries I remember that it’s important to keep on top of pain relief to stop it from creeping up and overwhelming you, and rest is totally acceptable as your body is trying to heal. How are you finding the wound dressing? Do you have a drain to contend with too? Thinking of you too x

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi disneyj- thank you for your lovely reply. I loved your comment about being knocked out A Team style - I can relate to that!! I also want to wish you all the best for your op tomorrow, and a speedy recovery afterwards. Don’t forget to let your team know about your fears and they really will take even more care of you.

My best wishes also to everyone else on this thread about to have surgery, or recovering from it.

Evie xx

Sarahx

Hi sharlea & disneyj,

Wanted to wish you both the best of luck for tomorrow, hope your surgery and recovery go well.

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty & SLNB on Thursday, 4 days ago, I ended up staying overnight but to be honest I couldn't stay awake and just wanted to sleep so it suited me! The pain hasn't been too bad, taking regular pain killers. I still feel tired alot but making sure I rest alot too. 

All the best to you both, will be thinking of you,

Sarah xx

Crooky

I had a right therapeutic mammoplasty on 18th Feb with SNB.  I was in hospital overnight and had one of those battery operated suction dressings on the wound which was weird but I was pretty much healed on the outside by the time it came off after 7 days.  The surgeon was amazing and the care I had was brilliant too.  I did have quite a bit of pain and I’m still uncomfortable now especially at night when I try to lay on my right side but some of that is probably the radiotherapy side of things because I had some swelling, rib pain and blistering of the skin.  I’m still wearing post surgery soft bras though because I am so lopsided it’s uncomfortable to wear anything else.   The fatigue has been an issue and I’m really struggling with the side effects of the Tamoxifen now but I have a follow up appointment with my oncologist on Tuesday to discuss that.   I’m due to have equalisation surgery to the left breast on 18th June because there’s a massive difference in size as they removed 80mm of tissue but I know what to expect this time so it’s not so daunting.  I’m hoping that will help me with my body image because I am very self conscious about how I look at the moment.  What I am scared of though is them finding more cancer when they operate.  I know it’s stupid and there’s no reason for me to expect that to happen  but I can’t help but worry.