Surgery following radiotherapy

Hi 

I don’t know if anyone can help - due to start Chemo this month, then herceptin+docitaxol.  Consultant then wanted me to have mastectomy followed by radiotherapy.  I want to have reconstructive surgery at the same time - so have pushed to have radiotherapy first then mastectomy and reconstruction  and lymph node clearance early in 2022 (all treatment should have finished by mid December 2021).  I have been met with massive resistance to this plan (they won’t know where to target ). My concern is that if have mastectomy first - followed by radiotherapy that the skin tissue will be damaged in order to have reconstructive surgery later on - again told that they won’t do reconstructive surgery at the mastectomy op due to radiotherapy and silicon implant ( currently I am veering towards DIEP anyway).  Any thoughts? 

@VioletLizzie  - I do understand and sympathise with the decisions you are trying to make. I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps a little - I had an implant at the same time as my mastectomy, followed by radiotherapy. I was initially told that I couldn’t have an implant reconstruction before radiotherapy, but my plastic surgeon agreed to do a “pre pectoral” implant (one that sits on top of the chest muscle rather than underneath) that sits in a sling (Braxon I think it’s called). Apparently this option has a lower risk of hardening (capsular contracture if you want to google) after radiotherapy. I’m happy to chat more if it helps at all - or hopefully others will come along and share experiences. You might also want to consider searching the forum - the search box is just above this chat, but make sure you change the search button to “forum” rather than just this board. I wish you all the best. It’s definitely worth exploring all options and pushing for what is best for you. Evie xx