cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery next week - 26th July

20 REPLIES 20
Wendy_

Re: Surgery next week - 26th July

Hey Lou, thanks for sharing. That all sounds really tough. 😞I really hope the clinic were able to help today. I can understand how you must be feeling down after things going so well, but remember that it will pass and you'll be back making forward progress soon 🙂

I left the house today for the first time since coming home on Saturday - what an adventure it felt to go drop off my returns for the bras I didn't need from M&S! I ended up walking a bit further than I had planned and it felt good to be out: I won't say 'stretch my legs' because my thighs are so tight after the fat transfer from them to reconstruct my breast, but at least I feel I have small improvements in my mobility each day... 

Hope you're feeling better soon.

louby_lou69

Hi

My surgery was moved forward 7 days, it should have been today but was last Monday 2nd as they had a cancellation and re-jigged appointments. My lumpectomy went well, I had 3 lymph nodes removed. I did end up having a reaction to the anesthetic  - I felt really sick and my BP plummeted so I had to stay in overnight whilst they monitored me.

I had my drain out on Friday and was feeling really good but woke up with seroma on Sunday morning - this is where the fluid struggles to drain away so my right boob and armpit are very uncomfortable. It feels engorged like when your milk comes in after having a baby.

I spoke to my BCN and she advised me to see if my body would absorb it on its own but it's still no better today and is really getting me down so I'm going into hospital so that my consultant can decide what to do, luckily she's running a clinic today. They can drain them but don't always like to because there's a risk of infection apparently. I've had to buy an even bigger bra than usual as it's so uncomfortable.

I was feeling so well, had good arm movement and am doing the exercises religiously so it's annoyed me that this has happened. 

Glad your surgery went well and you're recovering

Lou x

Wendy_

Hey Lisa, thanks for your post. Surgery went well on Weds, though was 10 hours instead of 6 due to issues getting my catheter to work (thank you giant fibroids...) Tough night in ICU being checked every half hour, so no sleep, but so glad to have the close care. Next day moved to ward for rest of stay and came home Saturday. It's been an emotional rollercoaster - having the TMG flap done using both of my legs has meant my mobility is limited, but now that I feel it improving everyday I feel better able to accept my present incapacitation and raw looking wounds. Hardest thing is sleep - like you I am not so good sleeping on my back (and my legs tend to get very 'fizzy' and electric-like sensations at nightime....) so I'm just going with the flow of the days. Nice to have the sun shining today though - makes it easier to potter on little shut eye. I ended up buying the front fastening bra and this proved invaluable for my surgery where they needed to check the blood flow to the donor sites in my newly constructed breast every hour for the first 24 hours and then every 4 hours... So it does show how because our surgeries are all so different little things can make a big difference! My most valued item that a friend who had BC a few years ago advised I take in with me was a travel pillow - OMG, it saved me! I would have had such terrible neck pain from my head lolling from sleeping partly sitting up at times....

Anyhow, how are you doing @Lisa65 and @louby_lou69 

Lisa65

Hi @Wendy_ just checking in to see how you're doing after your surgery?

Hope all is going to plan.

Lisa

louby_lou69

Brilliant I’ve added them to my list 

Lisa65

Hi Lou, I take quite a lot of medication for a back condition so I asked about whether or not I'd have to stop any of those. You might also want to ask if you have to sleep on your back, I assumed I would but Surgeon said on my side would be fine as long as it didn't cause pain (it does unfortunately,  but hopefully not for long).

Also ask about dressings, I've been told to keep mine dry but some types think you can shower with.

Xx

louby_lou69

My dr is ringing me later to finalise things before my op. 
Ive got some questions for her:

Will there be a follow up apt?

How soon would I have a second op if lymph nodes show cancer?

When will chemo start?

Is there anything else I could ask? 
X

Wendy_

Thanks so much Lisa - that looks super comfortable and the reviews seem to back it up too. Great tip about being able to do it up and swizz it round - I really don't like the look of the 'official' post surgery one and fiddling with all those hooks... I am going with that one. Thank you so much 🙂

Lisa65

Hi Lou, I'm wearing this from m and s https://www.marksandspencer.com/flexifit-non-wired-full-cup-bra-a-e/p/clp60439504?color=ONYX&prevPag...

Its really comfortable, surgeon checked the fit after the op and confirmed it was supportive enough. Also its low enough under the arm to leave the dressing over the lymph node incision clear. It does up at the back but I can do it up in front and twist it round. 

Hope you find something that works for you. 

Lisa

Wendy_

Hey Lou - thanks for getting back to me. I was advised to check out M&S for a front fastening sports bra and in fact they have a post surgery bra which seems suitable (though the reviews do say the way it fastens with hooks like a corset is a little fiddly....) https://www.marksandspencer.com/post-surgery-flexifit-full-cup-bra-a-h/p/clp60451105?color=ROSEQUART...

so I think I'll order that in a couple of sizes and hope that works. Haven't even thought about nightwear! I normally just wear a t-shirt, but I have a front buttoning pyjama top so that should work 🙂 

louby_lou69

@Wendy_  Sorry I can’t help with the cycling shorts either as I’m having a lumpectomy. My surgery involves removing my 55mm lump and then putting some fat from under my armpit/torso into the breast.

I’ve bought some front fastening pyjamas and I have a couple of strappy nighties that I can step into and pull up.

What type of bra are you wearing? I bought a sports bra but it’s far too uncomfortable. I’m going to look for something very soft and stretchy I think. 

Im the same regarding taking things one step at a time.

Wendy_

Thanks Lisa for pointing me to the ask a nurse section 🙂 Really hope you get a good night's sleep tonight!

And yes, it's been a long road to just getting a diagnosis for me (one year with a bleeding nipple and one breast unit refusing to follow it up so I had to go elsewhere once additional symptoms kicked in....) so it's been a long drawn out anxious time, with the past couple of months suddenly a lot to deal with and process.... We are all Queens for just dealing with this! So yes, I agree that you can only deal with it moment to moment, procedure to procedure. And today it's all about the cycling pants for next week for me! 😉 Thanks again, and take care.

Lisa65

Hi Wendy and thanks for joining the thread. I'm not feeling too bad just very tired, hoping I sleep better tonight.

Can't help with the cycling shorts I'm afraid, have you posted on the ask a nurse topic? I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

It is all scary, so much to get your head round and new terms to learn. I've been trying to focus only as far as the next stage so as not to feel so overwhelmed.

Take care and hope you get the advice you need.

Lisa

Lisa65

Hi Lou, I'm not feeling too bad thanks but I must be honest I didn't get much sleep as I couldn't get comfy on my back.

Pain isn't as bad as I'd feared so far, and I've managed the first set of exercises.

Best advice I was given is for night wear and clothing that buttons up the front, no way I'll be pulling anything over my head anytime soon! 

Thank for checking in 

Lisa

Wendy_

Hi Lou and Lisa - really happy to see your posts and to be able to join this thread. Firstly, Lisa I hope you are starting to recover from your surgery yesterday and are feeling ok. Lou: it looks like I'm next in the queue here 😉 as I am going in on August 4th for a mastectomy for non-invasive DCIS. I am having reconstruction via thigh fat - they seem to refer to it as PAP...? I am still not up to speed on all the terminology. Anyhow, I have been advised to get some cycling shorts for post surgery but I am now struggling to work out how tight they should be to provide support...!?  if either of you are undergoing similar surgery, do let me know! Otherwise I'll start a new thread... Anyhow, hope we can help each other through this a bit - it's starting to get a bit scary....

Wendy

louby_lou69

How are you feeling? Did you manage to sleep? 

Lisa65

Thanks Lou. All done and I'm home, very long day but I've been really well looked after.

Lisa 

louby_lou69

Hope all goes well today Lisa.

Youll be home and snuggly in bed before I know it 💕

Lisa65

Thanks for replying Lou. I hope yours does too. 

Lisa

louby_lou69

Hi Lisa

My surgery (lumpectomy) is on the 10th August so I'm a bit behind you.

I hope it goes well.

Lou x

Lisa65

Surgery next week - 26th July

Hello, this is my first post here, though I have read a lot and found this to be a fantastic place for info and support...I have been diagnosed with stage 1 invasive ductal breast cancer and am having a therapeutic mammoplasty and sentinel lymp node biospy next Monday. Because of the position of the tumour my surgeon recommended this rather than a lumpectomy which would have resulted in 'some deformity' post surgery. I have decided to have a mammoplasty on the unaffected breast at the same time for symmetry, and so that the surgeon can use some breast tissue from the healthy breast to re-shape the one with the tumour.

I wondered if there was anyone else having their surgery next week who would like to join this thread for mutual support and sharing experiences?

Lisa