Surgery postponed for 2nd time

Hi all,

Im new here but needed somewhere to vent my frustration a little as my surgery has been postponed again

1st time round it was so much postponed as the extent of the surgery needed was greater than anticipated so they had to do more tests and I got promoted from a lumpectomy to a full mastectomy, that was supposed to be the 11th of December. 
This time I was supposed to have surgery this Friday but COVID cases at the hospital have risen so much that they are short staffed so people are having to be reassigned so the breast care team have lost their Friday operating slot, the next available slot isn’t until the 26th. I had had my pre-op with the nurse on Thursday and she was confident that it would still be ok so I was all geared up and ready.

I’m trying to look on the positive side, this weekend was horrible timing as my oldest son has exams, and this gives us more time to get used to homeschooling again. But I just want this all to be over, I wanted to go back to work and normal life. 
They put me on hormone therapy to try and slow down the growth of the lump and from what I can feel it seems like the lump has shrunk a bit which is good. 
The nurses are being very nice and supportive, I know that none of this is their fault and they are just as frustrated as I am about this. 

Thanks for listening

Hi emarveling,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to see that you are frustrated.

Please remember that for any clinical question our breast care nurses are here and happy to talk things through.

Sending you our warmest wishes,

Zoe

Hi emarveling- welcome to this lovely forum, you’ve come to exactly the right place to vent and share your frustration. I don’t think there is anything I can say to make it any better - it’s really tough, you keep getting yourself prepared and being disappointed, but you yourself have managed to write down some positives about the delays. Let us hold your hand and help get you through this - vent/rant/chat/whatever you like or need. Sorry, I don’t think I’ve helped at all but I read your post and wanted to send you a big hug. Evie xx

Hi emarveling,

I feel your frustration - of course you want to get rid of the lump asap - as if dealing with bc isn’t enough the without wider impact of covid on hospitals/treatment. Sending a big gentle virtual hug.

To your credit it sounds like you are trying to approach things as positively as you can re comments about helping with home schooling.   

Also try to do a bit of whatever distracts you, walking, watching nature, baking, anything (legal)!

Have you tried visualisation form of meditation? it might be worth giving it a go if you haven’t already, so you have a way to calm yourself if you have any understandable stress out moments while waiting for your op. Good that they’ve started the hormone therapy to help starve the lump.

I spotted that BCN are seeking women’s experiences of delays to surgery re impact of covid on NHS. This is the link in case you feel like contacting them:

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Surgery/Have-you-recently-had-cancellations-to-your-surgery-or-treatment/m-p/1352927

Hoping you don’t have to wait too long.

Seabreeze x     

Hi Emarveling

I just wanted to say I’m in the same boat as you!  Not that it really helps your situation but so you know you’re not alone going through the anxiety.  I was scheduled to have lumpectomy in December but then it got changed to mastectomy.  I postponed it to January as I wanted to look at reconstruction (I’m regretting that now!), but then reconstruction got cancelled due to COVID but mastectomy was still scheduled for 26th January.  However, found out today, that has been cancelled and I have no new date as yet!

Sorry it’s not better news but so you know I “feel your pain”!

Best wishes and I sincerely hope your operation goes ahead on the 26th January.

Thank you everyone for your support and messages.

Just waiting now to see what happens. I still haven’t had a letter from the hospital with the surgery date and time on it, I’m just going off what the nurse told me on the phone which makes all feel a bit more uncertain. 

And it’s cancelled again

No new date, they’re trying to work out dates with the local private hospital.