Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetrical

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Symmetrical

Nipples not nipplemail ha ha

Hi I had a breast reduction on one side to help make my breasts similar and also realign my nipplemail to make it the same level as the other on. Only had my op on the 28 Aug so don't know what the final outcome will be yet as it takes a while for the breast to settle after surgery. I'm recovering well but do have bruising and some swelling. I go back to hospital tomorrow to get my wounds checked and dressings changed. I havnt been in a lot of pain but did take painkillers for a couple of days after op.but no longer feel the need. Feeling very tired so having to get plenty rest. But been seeing friends and going for short walks.

Hello Jacqb, 

Thank you for asking. After the shaky start things seem to be settling down. The bcn and surgeon have been keeping a close eye on me and I had a scan on Friday. I still have a  pocket of fluid at the top of my breast but they think it will dissipate on its own. I don’t have to go back until October, unless I’m worried. I’m sure in the long run it will be worth it. I can’t wait to buy bras that fit both sides. 

Hope your treatment is going well.

Alicat xxx

Hi Alicat
I Hope you don’t mind me asking how are you doing? I’ve just come across this thread and your op is something I am considering for the future when I’ve finished treatment. Hope all is going well
Jacq xx

Hi to Sammycc and Dizzybee, 

sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you but things haven’t gone to plan. The op seemed to go well, I was back home the following day. But within a week my breast became tight and turned bright red. It also made a sloshing sound when I moved.I went to see the bcn and she sent for the surgeon straight away. I had an ultrasound which showed pockets of fluid. This was drained and over 300mls was removed. They decided to keep me in hospital and put me on intravenous antibiotics. I had another 80 mls drained 2 days later. I stayed in hospital for a week. I read on my discharge notes that I had had cellulitis and a wound infection.  I came home with 2 lots of antibiotics, which I have just finished. I am due to go and see the bcn again tomorrow. I hope it’s going to be worth it, I can’t tell yet as it feels uncomfortable, sore and swollen still.

Hope you are both well

Alicat x

Hi Dizzybee and Sammycc,

Thank you for the replies. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m looking forward to being symmetrical again and buying bras that fit both sides,

Alicat x

Hi Alicat
Best of luck for your surgery.
I had a mastectomy with implant recon in Dec. I was a G cup before and now a D (i never would have got the same size with implant anyway so decided to go smaller and have reduction on my good breast)
The size difference really bothered me for the few months I was unbalanced. I had my reduction in April and I am so happy with the result. It’s made such a difference to my confidence and how I am feeling about my fake boob. I hope you will find the same.
I was in hospital over night, no drain this time, and once my wounds healed I was back to normal very quickly x

Sorry Alicat, I didn't see this. But it's good to have the date so you can start to plan things. Hope to hear how things go, I'll be thinking of you.

Hi Dizzybee 

Had the phone call today. Operation is on 7 June. Not long at all.

Best wishes

Alicat x

Hi Dizzybee,

Thank you for the information. It is just what i needed to know. At the pre op check I was told that I’ll be in overnight. 

You are right we are lucky to be able to have this surgery, I had to meet certain criteria, The size differences, I think. The surgeon took one look and said yes!

I’m hoping I’ll hear soon. Just want it done now.

hugs

Alicat

Hi Alicat 

I should have been a day case, it's pretty much the same as a WLE. It was only the bleed problem on the second op that meant they kept me in, I think I must have been stitched by a student! I didn't have a drain, I had internal dissolvable stitches and the outside closed with steristrips. They did warn me that I could lose my nipple, but both of mine have been moved twice and been fine.

I had 200grams the first time and 150 the second time. The recovery was pretty much the same as my cancer surgery, but I guess it was a very similar operation, because I had a 5cm area to be removed, so they had to do a therapeutic mammoplasty. I think the reduction operation is a standard mammoplasty.

I don't know why, but they seemed to make a bigger deal of the symmetrising surgery. Before the surgery, my BCN arrived with various sizes of surgical bra, they said I had to wear it night and day for the first four weeks.

I didnt get one for the cancer surgery. The surgical bra is front fastening with hooks and eyes and a zip, and very wide straps that adjust with velcro.

I've gone down from a 36F to a DD. I'm still not completely symmetrical, I'm hoping the diet will finish the job,  I think my surgeon was too nervous about how much he was taking off! Apparently your radiated breast won't change in size if you lose or gain weight but the other one will. I was lucky that I managed not to have a mastectomy, they offered it but I'm glad I kept my breast. And to be honest, I prefer my new shape with better uplift.

Sorry if all that is too much information, I never found anyone who'd had it done before my ops, and like you, I wanted to have some idea what to expect. But it really was pretty much the same as I'd had before.

Hi, Sunflower and Dizzybee,

Thank you for your replies. 

Dizzybee can I ask you how long were you in hospital? Did you have a drain? And how long was recovery time? I forgot to ask the surgeon as we were too busy talking dogs (we both have the same breed)! I was told that she would go in around the nipple and that there’s a possibility of losing it. She also said that there was shrinkage after rads. I’m having 200grams removed which sounds like a lot! I hope you don’t mind me asking these questions.

i wish you both health and happiness 

Hugs

Alicat

Hi Alicat

I had breast reduction surgery to my good breast last year. My therapeutic mammoplasty for the cancer was done in August 2016, and a margin shave a month later. They always said I'd need symmetrising surgery as there would be a significant size difference, and I had to wait for 6 months after rads to allow for shrinkage. I wore a partial prosthetic for a year.

The first reduction to my good side was in July last year. I was surprised at the way it was done I had a lollipop scar, which is a straight line from under the breast to the nipple,  and a circle round the nipple, which was repositioned higher up. My cancer incision was only a circle round the areola, I didn't expect to come out with a bigger scar on my good side.

Sadly the op had to be redone as the surgeon didn't remove enough and I was still lopsided, so it was done again last November. It seemed a bit hit and miss as to how much they remove, the first time the surgeon looked at the weight he removed in the cancer surgery and added a bit on. But I'd put a bit of weight on since then, so it wasn't quite as simple. The second time I had to stay in hospital for a couple of days as the wound kept bleeding, but they put an extra stitch in which sorted it. I don't know why they waited two days though!

Anyway, I've had it done twice now, it was really not particularly painful and my new breast shape is much better than before. And Bertha the fake boob has gone forever, I'm glad to say. The scarring is fading nicely now.

I really hope your surgery goes well, we're lucky to have it as an option, lots of areas won't fund it any more.

Good luck!

Hi sunflower,

Thank you for your reply. The difference between the 2 breasts has become more noticeable as time has gone on. It’s 2 years since I had radiotherapy. No bras fit properly and I can’t use a “chicken fillet” as my breast is still painful to the touch. 

I hope to have the op soon, I had my pre op check up last week, so waiting for the call/letter. 

Thank you for your kind words. 

Alicat

Symmetrical

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right place to post. I am going to have my “good” Breast reduced soon to match the size of the one that had a WLE. Whilst I am looking forward to it being done, I am nervous. I would love to hear other people’s experiences of this. 

Many thanks 

Alicat