Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TNBC and planning surgery

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: TNBC and planning surgery

Hi there and thanks for your reply

i am sorry to hear what you’re going through.. 

such a worrying time.... and I really wish there was a quick fix for this for all of us.

I will take on board what you have said and hopefully come to my decision before my appointment Thursday. 

Hope that all goes well with your further treatment 

Thanks again and please take care 

diane xx

Highlighted

Hi, I was diagnosed with DCIS at the beginning of May after several biopsies and ultrasound scans. My lymph nodes were showing as clear but they found 3 areas of concern in the left breast. As I’m quite a large lady I was offered three choices: wide excision, mastectomy, or therapeutic mastoplasty. I tried to lighten the diagnosis by saying “ohh a free breast reduction on the NHS”. There is only 1 downside to this operation, and that is if they cannot guarantee clearing the margins, then you are looking at a mastectomy afterwards.

I duly had my op on 28th May and they also took a sentinel node biopsy. The operation was about 4 hours and I recovered well and went home the next morning. I have just had my 2 week follow up appointment, but it isn’t good news. They found cancer in one of the two sentinel nodes and are considering the armpit lymph node operation, even though my lymph node ultrasound was clear. They also said that they found an additional 6 areas of concern, and, although the surgeon went further outside the margins than she originally intended, I am now looking at a mastectomy.

i don’t regret my decision as the other options would probably have resulted in a mastectomy anyway, and my new boobs  are looking small and pert instead of flying south, but you need to just be aware of the fact. I haven’t had any chemotherapy or radiotherapy yet but will be at some stage, just don’t know when.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Highlighted

Hi and thank you for your reply. 

Sorry for late reply, was last chemo Thursday, very eventful day. Had to be stopped due to me having a nasty allergic reaction plus, along with other happenings with family members, I was wiped out! 

I hope you don’t mind me asking but I am struggling to decide between Lumpectomy and Therapeutic mammoplasty... my surgeon did seem to be more for mammoplasty at my previous appointment, saying he would be able to get better margins together with giving me a lift and reduction cosmetically. 

My bra size is 42/44 D/DD (think I’ve come down a size losing some weight on chemo) which is a little big for my smallish frame... never really caused me a problem but trying to out weigh the for’s and against’s and also the benefits of the mammoplasty other than cosmetic. I had another meeting Thursday and he put it simply as ... lumpectomy is to remove the tumour ... mammoplasty is cosmetic. So now I am thinking do I need to put myself through a more complicated procedure... with longer recovery and more risk of infection. 

Confusing me and prob not helping that I’m a bit low at min and am anaemic so really tired. 

Good to hear from someone who has had the surgery and your thoughts please. 

Diane x

Highlighted

Hi sorry for late reply ... I had last chemo yday but had an allergic reaction and it had to be stopped. 

Also had appointment with surgeon so was a long day,!

Disappointing I couldn’t get the last one but relieved at same time that that I have now finished chemo.

I wasn’t too bad ... did have to have transfusion at one point as I was anaemic ...

Also, I developed a harsh rash and consultant decided to give me a weeks break a  couple of weeks ago. Otherwise I coped but found last few weeks very tiring with with some neuropathy developing. 

Oh and I’ve started loosing my nails even tho I’ve been looking after them... my nurse said it happens 😡 ! Not having much luck🤭

How was your 1st treatment? 

Hope you get on ok 👍 

I’m so relieved it’s all done...now the worry of which surgery path to go down🙈

have you had yours? If so which did you go for? I’m thinking Therapeutic Mammoplasty or lumpectomy with reduction reconstruction 

Take care 

Highlighted

How were your side effects on Carboplatin n Paclitaxel  ?

Highlighted

Can I ask, have you had any problems post surgery?

Highlighted

Hi 

I started chemo in January ... I had 5 cycles of FEC .. followed by 16 weekly Paclitaxel with Carboplatin (included on the 3rd week. ) 

Are you having neo adjuvant chemo so before surgery ? 

Highlighted

Saw your post....sorry i have a question....not related to your situation.

i see you've had chemo for TNBC and you've just finished.

i am also TN and start my first chemo tomorrow. Friday

can i ask what drugs you were given pls ?

i shall be on Carboplatin and Paclitaxel.

thank you so much x

Highlighted

I had a therepeutic mammoplasty as I had ptosis or my boobs had dropped so it was done instead of having to have a mastectomy. I have just had my other boob done as only had 1 done initially. So I had a free boob lift.

If you want a reduction then it will be a good option to take advantage of the situation. I only took 2 to 3 weeks off work and if I had immediate reconstruction and mastectomy I was looking at 3 months off and a 6 to 8 hour op. Good luck and happy to answer any questions.x

Highlighted

TNBC and planning surgery

Hi
Last day of chemo today 🤞🙏 (hopefully as it was cancelled last week due to bloods ..low platelets ) yay!!
Help though !
I’ve got an appointment with surgeon after chemo to discuss my surgery ... he wants me to decide which procedure to go ahead with and I’m struggling.
He has recommended lumpectomy all along which up until recently I was all for.. saying my tumour is small and caught early
18mm tumour looking on ultrasound as now 13mm
Saying not shrunk much but looks as though changed in composition ?
But at last appointment and after ultrasound he discussed a Theraputic mammoplasty.. which was described as Lumpectomy but able to do wider margins and reduction as reconstruction.
We agreed for me to consider which option is for me and come back today to plan ... looking at 4th July for surgery
I have gone into panic mode and now wondering about possible recurrence /mastectomy / reconstruction etc.
I’m a bag of nerves and my daughter is worrying I’m doing the right thing !!
Any suggestions please? 🙏