TNBC and planning surgery

Hi
Last day of chemo today ?? (hopefully as it was cancelled last week due to bloods …low platelets ) yay!!
Help though !
I’ve got an appointment with surgeon after chemo to discuss my surgery … he wants me to decide which procedure to go ahead with and I’m struggling.
He has recommended lumpectomy all along which up until recently I was all for… saying my tumour is small and caught early
18mm tumour looking on ultrasound as now 13mm
Saying not shrunk much but looks as though changed in composition ?
But at last appointment and after ultrasound he discussed a Theraputic mammoplasty… which was described as Lumpectomy but able to do wider margins and reduction as reconstruction.
We agreed for me to consider which option is for me and come back today to plan … looking at 4th July for surgery
I have gone into panic mode and now wondering about possible recurrence /mastectomy / reconstruction etc.
I’m a bag of nerves and my daughter is worrying I’m doing the right thing !!
Any suggestions please? ?

I had a therepeutic mammoplasty as I had ptosis or my boobs had dropped so it was done instead of having to have a mastectomy. I have just had my other boob done as only had 1 done initially. So I had a free boob lift.

If you want a reduction then it will be a good option to take advantage of the situation. I only took 2 to 3 weeks off work and if I had immediate reconstruction and mastectomy I was looking at 3 months off and a 6 to 8 hour op. Good luck and happy to answer any questions.x

Saw your post…sorry i have a question…not related to your situation.

i see you’ve had chemo for TNBC and you’ve just finished.

i am also TN and start my first chemo tomorrow. Friday

can i ask what drugs you were given pls ?

i shall be on Carboplatin and Paclitaxel.

thank you so much x

Hi, I was diagnosed with DCIS at the beginning of May after several biopsies and ultrasound scans. My lymph nodes were showing as clear but they found 3 areas of concern in the left breast. As I’m quite a large lady I was offered three choices: wide excision, mastectomy, or therapeutic mastoplasty. I tried to lighten the diagnosis by saying “ohh a free breast reduction on the NHS”. There is only 1 downside to this operation, and that is if they cannot guarantee clearing the margins, then you are looking at a mastectomy afterwards.

I duly had my op on 28th May and they also took a sentinel node biopsy. The operation was about 4 hours and I recovered well and went home the next morning. I have just had my 2 week follow up appointment, but it isn’t good news. They found cancer in one of the two sentinel nodes and are considering the armpit lymph node operation, even though my lymph node ultrasound was clear. They also said that they found an additional 6 areas of concern, and, although the surgeon went further outside the margins than she originally intended, I am now looking at a mastectomy.

i don’t regret my decision as the other options would probably have resulted in a mastectomy anyway, and my new boobs  are looking small and pert instead of flying south, but you need to just be aware of the fact. I haven’t had any chemotherapy or radiotherapy yet but will be at some stage, just don’t know when.

Hope this helps and good luck.