Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TROUBLESOME SEROMA

5 REPLIES 5
nicklespickles

Re: TROUBLESOME SEROMA

Hello,

@HappyVibes i'm so sorry for the lack of reply, have been trying to take a break from all things internet recently! How are you getting on with your seroma now? Hope you can start or have started the next bit of your treatment soon/now. 

Thank you for your reply, and @VWCarrie. Thankfully things have settled down now and enough for radiotherapy to go ahead, i've just completed my first week (of 4!). I had been propping myself up in bed as well and also did take ibuprofen for a couple of weeks 3 times a day on the recommendation of one of the registrars who I went to see when I got a couple of stitches clipped down, not for any pain but just to help with any residual inflammation that might have been there from the infection. I had asked about another course of antibiotics but doctors and surgeon didn't think it was necessary. In the end I only had it drained twice and then it did it's own draining for several weeks until eventually it stopped about 2 weeks before radiotherapy started. Also drank a load of turmeric tea as another anti-inflammatory. No idea what if any of those things worked in themselves, but it seemed to settle and oncologist was happy for radiotherapy planning to go ahead.

I do have some hardened tissue in the area where the tumour and majority of infection and seroma was, think the breast surgeon called it 'induration', and he told me to massage it daily with Bio Oil (though not doing the bio oil during radiotherapy, just using Aveeno at the moment). Bit annoying as it actually is more visible than the bloody tumour was, and i guess it might get a bit harder with radiotherapy. Although to be honest it's probably only more visible to me cos I'm the one looking at it most! Will just have to see how it goes! 

Hope you are all doing ok. Sending hugs to you all. We can do this xx

N x

VWCarrie

Hi x 

I have the same problem and can suggest lying propped up in bed to sleep. It gets a bit of getting used to but has definitely helped the fluid drain and not build up so much in the morning. I’ve noticed after a few weeks of this it’s definitely not swelling up as much when I do lie flat. 

hope you feel better soon x Carrie 

HappyVibes

Hi @yjj  @nicklespickles 

Oh dear @nicklespickles sorry to hear about the seroma on your breast, that must be so uncomfortable.

I didn't get one with my lumpectomy, but the one after the axillary clearance has been a right pain! I had it drained 5 times, the latest one last Thursday. It was significantly better by that time so after draining some of it, they said they wanted to leave it alone now to resolve itself naturally.

They can't do the radiotherapy till the seroma has gone because the measurements they do have to be very precise and can't be affected by a changing size/shape during the course of the treatment, but I was told by my breast nurse that they would be able to see any residual fluid when they do the chest scan for planning your rad treatment, and would drain it using ultrasound as a guide.

Today, there is a slight swelling still above my axilla scar which is a bit tender but I'm hoping that by the time my radiotherapy appointment comes through it will have gone.

Like you, I don't want any postponements, we just want to get it over and done with don't we.

@yjj How is yours going? Hope you're ok.

Sending a big hug to both of you, love Rose.

nicklespickles

Hey there,

Was wondering how you are getting on with your seroma now? I have also developed one on my breast after my lumpectomy about 2 and half weeks ago, and it's been drained twice in the last week - I would also welcome any advice. I'm due to have radiotherapy as well and worried that this will be postponed now. Are you still in discomfort and have you needed to have more drained? I hope you are feeling better and feeling more comfortable. 

N xx

yjj

Let’s see what comes back!! Maybe it’s just us with troublesome my my my seromas!!! Xx

HappyVibes

TROUBLESOME SEROMA

Hi 

After a WLE and SNB in December, I had Full Axillary Node Clearance 4 weeks ago which went well and the wound has healed well, but I have a large seroma that despite being drained 3 times, 250ml, 360ml and 310ml, is as large as ever and will be drained for a 4th time on Thursday. 

It’s extremely uncomfortable, has spread into my breast now and is also making my areola hard and painful to touch.

I know seromas are quite normal but I’m wondering how long this constant filling up goes on for and how long it takes to resolve completely. I will be having radiotherapy at some point, first appointment with my Oncologist on Friday, but I’m assuming the seroma has to be gone first as they have to do the tattoo marks and can’t have them moving about as your seroma goes up and down.

Would really welcome some feedback from other Seroma Sufferers!

Thank you and best wishes, Rose