Therapeutic Mammoplasty

7 REPLIES 7
Roberta Jane

Re: Therapeutic Mammoplasty

Thanks Linda, it's a bit of a minefield isn't it! All advice appreciated ♥️

LindaBag

Hi Roberta,

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty in March 2018 and at that time bought a post surgery bra, the reduction in size of my breast was accommodated in the same size bra as pre surgery. I was also advised to consider surgery to even me up at a later date, especially as I had radiotherapy which can alter the size of your breast. After further surgery for clear margins, chemo and radiotherapy I could not face the thought of further surgery. Several months later I changed my mind and had mammoplasty surgery to the other breast in September 19. At this time my surgeon advised me to purchase a recobra which I did. It was so comfortable and as it stretches you do not have to worry so much about the precise size as they come in small, medium, large etc. The website helps you in deciding which size to buy.  My surgeon told me that they also help with a better cosmetic result. Hope this helps. Best wishes. Linda

Roberta Jane

Thanks Shi.  The Prof who is doing my OP wants to leave the spare until after radiotherapy as this can change breast size and shape apparently.  I can live with odd boobs until the time is right - it'll be a talking point at our local if nothing else!

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Roberta Jane ❤️ Go up a couple of sizes, I.e. if you are 36c get a 40c you will be bit swollen after for a bit. M&S zip front with racer back was very comfy and  I kept on day and night for a few weeks, also you could get some wound dressing pad for over nipple for when bandages are off just to stop any rubbing while things settle, I just used aqueous cream to rub on scars after and have no scars. If you are going to be uneven after, I’ve found using cushion stuffing in bra best for getting even look and not heavy like the partial you should be given at hospital. Unfortunately knitted knickers do not did not do partial knitted knickers when I had mine, don’t know if the do now? Please consider having the levelling up surgery at the same time if you can, I wish I’d just done it in one go, I know you’ll just be thinking get the bc out of me, which was my main focus but I wish I’d had the levelling up surgery done too at same time ❤️I hope this helps you in anyway ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Roberta Jane

I'm due to have therapeutic mammography/DCIS in a couple of weeks.  I've been advised to get post op bras but am unsure of what size to get, do I buy my current bra/cup size or what I will be eventually bearing in mind the length of time between ops as I believe it will be quite some time before I have matching boobs!  It seems a  minor thing to have to ask my surgeon, 

ktk

Thanks Dizzybee.  It is good to hear other people's stories.  As I said, I had never heard of TM before last week, so am trying to find out as much as possible.  Glad to hear that you are doing well and are happy with your new boobs!  Kxx

Dizzybee

Hi K

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty, and have also had two reductions to the other side for symmetry. I didn't have the reduction at the same time though, my surgeon wanted me to wait six months after radiotherapy to allow for any shrinkage.

I had quite a large area of DCIS to be removed, 5cm, and needed a second op to get clear margins. The cosmetic result is surprisingly good. I was left with a significant size difference, which I hated. So I would have loved to have the reduction to the other side at the same time,  I wish it had been available.

My only warning would be, achieving symmetry isn't easy, I've had two operations to my good side and it is still not a match in terms of cup size. But I'm told that the operated breast can reduce a bit over time, so I'm hoping so.

My therapeutic mammoplasty incision was around the areola, and my nipple was moved up higher, my areola is a bit misshapen, but my new breast shape is much better than before.( no more droopy boobs!) They should explain to you where your incision will be.

I did have a lot of swelling after all the operations, it took weeks to see how I'd ended up. 

I'm really pleased with the end results, it's taken four operations and 20 months since I started this journey, I really hope you only need the one operation. But I really didn't find the recovery was a problem, I had surprisingly little pain and was back doing must things within a few days.

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you!

ktk

Therapeutic Mammoplasty

Hi,  I have been advised that therapeutic mammoplasty would be appropriate for me.  They will also reduce my 'good' breast to match at the same time.  I had never heard of this before my appointment on Wednesday, so really looking for any advice or the experience of anyone who has had this op.  Also, if anyone is having the same op it would be great to talk too.

Kx