Therapeutic mammoplasty- what to expect?

Therapeutic Manmoplasty - what should I expect?
Options
‎26-04-2018 06:10 PM
I have bilateral Grade 3 IDC - 2.2 cm on left and 4.4cm on right and bizarrely they are symmetrical and both about the 12 O clock position. I will be having surgery on the 10th May. I could have had a double mastectomy and may still need one but my breast surgeon wants to try a therapeutic mammoplasty first to try and retain my breast sensation. (My request) I have large breasts which is why she think a TM might work if they can get clear margins. I can’t find much information about this surgery online. She says I will have an upside down t-shaped scar below the nipple and one around it. Can anyone who has gone through the procedure or knows more about it enlighten me? I’m worried that it seems to be a more complicated procedure than a WLE but will be pleased to have an uplift!! How long did it take you to recover from the op? Did it take a while to get used to your new shape/size? How do you know what bras to buy for post-surgery?? I have been feeling a bit surreal about my diagnosis as I feel so well but now I’m facing treatment I’m finding it hard not to freak out!!

Should also say I’ll be pleased not to have these b****y tumours first and foremost before any improvements shape wise!! 

Thanks Sunflower
I really appreciate your reply and hope you are recovering well and your surgery has been successful. I was expecting a WLE but my MRI showed that one of the tumours could be twice the size originally thought which I presume is one of the reasons why the surgeon has opted for a TM instead. The moving the tissue around would make sense as the incisions will be below the nipple and and my tumours are above! I suppose we just have to trust the medics have our very best interests at heart. I have had other surgeries totally unrelated to cancer but these have been internal and key hole and there is something about the fact that this surgery will change my physical appearance which makes me more nervous.