67952members
357781posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time off work after Mastectomy/DIEP flap recon?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Time off work after Mastectomy/DIEP flap recon?

Thank you 😘

Highlighted

Hi monicanatura- positivity is definitely the way to go.

Good luck with the op and your recovery and then all your studies x

Highlighted

Hi Mrs1968

Thank you for your kind words. I had neo adjuvant chemo then Mx, it took about 4 weeks for me to recover from my Mx. 
I recovered very quickly from chemo, my hair grew back virtually the week after my last chemo. 
The surgeon knows I take care of myself, like yourself. I’m all about the positivity and talking to the universe. 
The universe has listened so far, I take supplements, which I did throughout treatment, I have weekly acupuncture,  and got the all clear 9 months after diagnosis. 
What I love about this forum is we all have our story to share, it’s a journey, be it challenging. 
I have now applied to a PhD following my degree and MSc in Nutritional therapy and herbal medicine. 
2018 was a year of challenge, exploration and soul searching. 
lots of luck with all of your journeys, you are all amazing. 

Highlighted

Good luck monicanatura. I think 4 weeks is pushing it. I went into surgery pre chemo and was really fit. I am 51 and made sure I did extra gym sessions and fast dog walks to make sure I was as fit as I could be. I did my first one hour dog walk in 8 weeks yesterday. It has taken me that long to get back to it. It depends on what you do for a living and how physical it is. I found I had very little stamina. You will also be restricted on lifting etc. It is the abdominal wound that really slow you down. I got very frustrated, but just gave in and listened to my body in the end.

I hope it all goes well for you x

Highlighted

Hi 

I had my appointment with the plastic surgery team today, they have confirmed I will be having the DIEP flap and a lift to my other breast, in September. 
I had my Mx in Dec 18, and have been looking forward to this last step in my journey. My surgeon said i would need 4-6 weeks for recovery. I am now preparing for my op, emotionally and physically. 
Lots of luck with your ops ladies. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ollies, I’m having a delayed recon in 3 weeks time (TUG Flap) and was told 2-3 months with phased return.  I had my mx in November 2017 so it’s been a looooong wait which has been good for observation of the surgery site (as I was such high risk for recurrence) but really bad for my mental health.  I’m hoping to get back to work a bit sooner but I think we have to just see how we’re doing.  It’s not worth pushing yourself at the risk of damaging yourself after all you’ve been through. X

Highlighted

I was working as a physio in a hospice when I was diagnosed. Not the best place to get that news. I haven't been back since. Its physically demanding as I do a lot of gym work with the patients, but emotionally demanding. I just felt that I wasn't in the right place emotionally to do that work. Now I have started chemo I have to avoid infectious people so I'm off work until I finish treatment. 

Good luck with the op. My advice is to listen to your body, allow yourself time to rest and recover and accept all the help you are offered. I have a WhatsApp group of people who offered dog walking, a separate one for help with my daughter. We have no family nearby so are reliant on friends. I didn't drive for 5 weeks, either. 

Highlighted

wow, in a way I was expecting that, and had that recommended by the nurses (6 to 8 weeks). The job I do involves mostly listening but is emotionally very stressful.  A lot of my clients are hoping I'm going to be back to work after a couple of weeks but I have no idea. I guess it's not just the physical difficulties that will affect our ability to work.....I should know that really! Woman Sad

Thanks

Sam xx

Highlighted

I think it depends what you do for a living. I had a mastectomy with DIEP on 12th November and physically it has taken me a good 6 weeks to get over it, and I still don't have the stamina to walk the dog for an hour. Good luck with it x

Highlighted

Time off work after Mastectomy/DIEP flap recon?

Hi All,

I'm having 2 ops hopefully close together. First to remove 3 sentinel nodes, and the major one to have a mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction. Just wondering how long others have taken off work who might have had or are having this treatment?

Im just needing to get some ideas as I'm self-employed so need to be able to plan ahead a little.

Thanks all

Sam x