To Drain or Not to Drain

Hi

Here in the UK there are a lot of doctors who prescribe to the theory of no drains, ie. that the fluid keeps coming back to fill the empty space, so by continually draining you are just prolonging everything.  Having no drain, or removing after 12-18 hrs and let nature take its course and the body will re-absorb.  Of course a large seroma I imagine is not fun and large for a longer time would no doubt stretch skin, but how that stacks up against carrying around drains for 10 days and the varying risks of infection that drain holes can have, not sure?  

Anyone heard any views on this from their doctors / surgeons.

My surgeon rarely uses them, I am in for surgery next Thursday 28th - MMX and SNLB.

Thanks and await any other views on this, to add to my pile of questions!

Thanks

Lizzy

Hi Lizzy

lots of luck for your surgery, I had mx In December 18, I had 2 drains, one for breast one for lymph drainage. 

I had a haematoma so I had a second surgery straight after Mx. I’m lucky I had the drains, otherwise the nurse would not of noticed my haematoma. 

The drains were fine, had them in for a week, I still have scars from the drain sites, however lavender oil applied daily is helping to reduce the scarring. 

Lots of love