Hi Nikkit. I had mastectomy 2016. Had sentinel node biopsy - they weren’t expecting to find anything but they did (small amount). My oncologist was very keen for me to have more nodes out so I had another op and 9 more were taken out, which were all clear. The surgeon went through original scar so I didn’t have any more scarring. Was very sore under arm for some time. Because nodes were clear he decided not to give me radiotherapy and I had Onco dx test with low result so didn’t have chemo either. But we are all different. That was my experience. I still have trouble deciding between tea and coffee! Love Debbie xx
Nikkit - decisions like that are very tough. I don't think your team would offer you an option that carried any risk, teams tend to be very cautious. Are you concerned about having the nodes removed? I can try and answer any particular concerns you may have - I know I was very worried beforehand and did endless research. Happy to chat more or on private message if you prefer.
Sending bug hugs to you. You will come to the right decision.
It's not really fair for your surgical team to ask you to make the decision - I know exactly what you mean about not being able to decide whether to have tea or coffee!! I'm not in quite the same position, as in I wasn't really given an option, but I'll tell you what advice I was given in case it helps you.
When I was diagnosed they took a biopsy of the nodes too and found that it had spread to at least one node. I had chemo first - I was told that chemo is a must if it has spread to the nodes. I then had a mastectomy and most nodes removed and then radiotherapy. I did try to persuade my surgeon to only remove a few nodes but he said the "gold standard" was to remove all level 1 and 2 nodes in case of further spread. He was able to leave level 3 nodes. As it turned out 3 nodes were affected. As you say, all our diagnoses are different and treatments are changing all the time.
You really need someone to take the decision for you, try asking your team how they would advise their wife/daughter/mother if they were in your position. I know it's an age old trick but should make them focus and help you take the correct decision for you. It may be that both outcomes are the same but you need to know all the facts before you can decide.
Never apologise for asking questions or for help. All too soon you will be the one giving valuable advice to others, you probably already are doing so.
Wishing you strength as you try to decide and I'm happy to discuss further if I can help.
Sorry I cant help on this one, however I am replying so that your post gets bumped up on the forum as there might be someone who has had the same scenario as you and might be able to help.
What might be helpful is to talk it through with your bcn, they tend to put everything in laymans language rather than the "medical" way that consultants do.
Sending you hugs