cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment starting March 31st

68 REPLIES 68
Trowster

Re: Treatment starting March 31st

Yvonne I hope your feeling less tired, it’s funny how the anaesthetic can effect us, also I think all the tension n stress before the op takes it out of us and we don’t sleep well, so I think your body has just been catching up, Mum always told me sleep is the best medicine, glad your getting on with the exercises, my arm is still quite sensitive to touch at the back, but I expect the nerves take a while to heal, I’m hoping to be told I don’t need another shave of tissue removing and to be told I will be moving onto the next stage and I can at least come out of isolation n go for a bike ride, my cycling Group did a ride past my house on Saturday it was very emotional, the waiting is the hard part but hopefully seeing your family will give you a lovely lift of spirits, looks like we might all be following the same path, just wondering when we will all start the next stage, enjoy the sunshine and let your body heal, xx

noodledoodle

@simplyeve 

You are doing the right thing, keeping busy and meeting with your sister and aunt. The waiting for results is terrible and keeping as occupied as you can, whilst recovering is the best thing to do, then the waiting should pass more quickly. Good that you have been getting so much sleep as your body will heal quicker. That’s one more stage well on the way to being over, so take care and always getting closer to the finishing line of treatment!

@Trowster

Sorry to hear about your nightmare scan. Hope your bone scan was a better experience and you are continuing to recover well. 
My breast care nurse phoned and the outcome of the MDT didn’t change anything on the histology, so She said someone from Oncology will be phoning in the next couple of days with an appointment to start the chemo treatment plan. Just want to get on with it to be honest. Won’t be pleasant but needs doing, 

Hopefully I will be starting that before too long. 
Take good care both and keep updating on your progress. Xxxx

simplyeve

Hello Ladies

Hope this finds you both still improving. 

@noodledoodle  how did you get on today?  Did you manage to get your treatment plan?  

@Trowster  I know you have some tests and results on Wednesday too, hope they go well for you and you don't need another shaving to get clear margins.

Sorry it has taken me a while to come back on, to be honest the surgery inc overnight stay and drain have really taken alot of getting over, today is the first day I haven't had to return to bed to sleep for the afternoon.  

Overall the surgery went well, though I ended up having to have a couple of extra stitches to hold the drain in so was in recovery for about 2 hours whilst they assessed it and then had to find the registrar to come and "sort out my leakage", also my sats were a bit low so needed to stay on oxygen, then didn't get much sleep and wasn't discharged until 3pm, simply because they didn't have enough staff to cope.  By the time I got home Friday pm I was fit to drop so straight to bed and just slept and slept.

District nurses are coming in to check my drain, it's reducing slowly, so hoping it will be taken out on Thursday.  Managing to cope with my exercises reasonably well thank goodness, but it's such a strange sensation isn't it Trowster?

Had a phone call from my BCN today as don't go back until 5th May for results, but did find out that the macromasteses in my Node was 14mm hence the ANC, so fingers crossed that the rest of the nodes are clear, unfortunately my breast tumour was still grade 3 and of course  triple positive, so although no onc decision has been made yet apparently, I am expecting to be told chemo, rads and hormone therapy, though Nat (BN) was not committing to anything without the results of the rest of the nodes.  The waiting is going to be quite frustrating.  In the meantime am hoping to arrange to meet up with my sister and Aunt, as haven't seen either of them since we met up to exchange Christmas gifts last year.

Catch up with you again soon ladies.  Hugs

Yvonne

Trowster

Simplyeve, it’s good to hear how well your doing and it’s great to try and get the jobs that need doing done before the next leg of your treatment, I thought a CT scan would be a walk in the park today, but how wrong was I, I ended up sobbing on the table and screaming in pain, the young lad couldn’t find a vein I told him I’m not supposed to have a tourniquet on my left arm but he said he had to do it that way, so he put it on and it was hurting like hell, so I gritted my teeth and told him to get on with it, he tried my elbow joint, no joy, move the tourniquet lower down my arm n tried my forearm no joy, so he decided to try the back of my hand, this is where the agony started I was screaming and he kept saying are you ok, did I sound ok was the voice in my head, then he wiggled the needle and I couldn’t stand the pain anymore and shouted n cried, he said what’s the problem, I said it’s hurting like hell, so he took it out and said I’m sure I had it in then, one more try on my hand but he still couldn’t do it, he did keep saying sorry, he then said I’ll ask my colleague to try, another guy came in, I was trembling n sobbing, but I pulled myself together n told myself to man up, he put the tourniquet around my sleeve so it wouldn’t hurt as much, told me to put my arm down as low as I could, and first attempt he was in n I didn’t even feel it, why the hell if he’s that good why didn’t he come n try sooner, how I didn’t wet myself in there I don’t know, so I week off now, I’ve got my Radioisotope Scan next Wed at Glan Clwyd at 10:30 it says they will inject me with the isotope then I go away n come back in 3.5 hrs time  then the scan will take 45 minutes, I hope they run to time as I have to be at Llandudno Breast Clinic at 3:40 pm to see my surgeon for the results from last weeks op to see if the margins were clear, I just hope the person doing the isotope is good at finding collapsed veins, I’m starting to look like I’ve been in a fight my arm n hand are really bruised and sore, 

simplyeve

Morning Ladies

@ Noodledoodle Thanks for your good wishes Sandra, what a roller coaster of a results day you had, though I'm so pleased that the surgery part of your journey is over and you got good margins and node clearance, that is a good result despite the triple negative being re-confirmed.  Hopefully I will still be able to join the same Chemo group but will follow your progress whatever and am here for you if ever you want to sound off or need some moral support.  

@trowster so glad to hear that you seem to be recovering from your second surgery,  hope your decking and swing are in place and you are ready to relax in the sunshine!  Re the drain bag when I spoke with Natalie on Monday she said she would pop up to the ward to see me this morning with a bag for my drain, if not I have pyjamas with me and the top has an inside pocket specifically for a drain, though I love the idea of your cushion for your arm, might have to send hubby out to look for one!

In relation to the driving and swimming, if I wasn't having the ANC I do feel I would be fit to swim, but totally get that you may not be that far ahead yet Trowster, I drove for the first time last Friday, just a short journey to start with,  the biggest thing I find is the jolting when going over a bump as I am still a "Slightly" larger lady jiggling is pulling on the internal stitches and I still have a fair bit of brusing, though I have started to use E45 moisturiser on my areola scar which has improved it slightly, but only ordered it after I got approval from "the team" and haven't put it on my node scar as my understanding is that they will go in through that again today.  Luckily it's my right side so I don't have any issues driving with the seat belt on, though always have a cushion as a passenger and tend to put it under the seat belt and the boob. Have either of you tried anything different?

Right off to change my bed now, have been trying to catch up on all the household stuff and paperwork before I go in, but still need to read my meters for Octopus, change bed and shower and hair wash, just keeping myself busy really!

Will be in touch soon take care ladies and look after yourselves.

noodledoodle

All the very best for today @simplyeve .

thinking of you😘

noodledoodle

Had op on 31st March but only had sentinel node removal, not axillary clearance, so quicker recovery. 
yes she said I was okay to swim as wounds fully healed. I think I was very lucky as had very minimal pain-hardly any at all and have full movement but I think my surgery much more minor than when a lot of nodes removed. I did find the node wound a lot more uncomfortable and that was with just the sentinel node removed!

Hope you are enjoying your swing seat. Supposed to be warm next week, so get in that garden! It won’t be long before you are whizzing around on that bike!

Take Care xx

Trowster

Thanks for the update, what date did you have your op, I don’t think I could try swimming yet, I had my first op on the  Mon 29th and I did drive hubby to the garage on Thursday 8th it’s only at the bottom of our Rd, but I felt ok to drive, he wasn’t so sure if I should, but the BC Nurse said so long as I can do an emergency stop I could drive, I think swimming would be a great exercise but are you allowed in a pool yet because of the risk of infection, I think personally we all know our own bodies and what we are capable of, 

noodledoodle

@trowster

its Multi Disciplinary Team meeting. They discuss all the breast cancer cases where all the different departments are present, so can sort out best treatments and pathways for individual cases. Usually meet once or twice a week. Saves time when they all get together and discuss together, so oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and breast cate nurses etc present and contribute. 
No extra exercises to do and can drive now and can do own exercises and swimming. 
yes it’s good we will be able to help each other out in chemo and radiotherapy. I will be relying on you for the chemo!! I will start a thread once we know when it will be. 
All the best until then and hope you are recovering well. 
Here’s to normal life returning for us all xx

Trowster

Oh Sandra, what a roller coaster day you’ve had, but at least your margins were clear and you  don’t need more surgery, also good news that the nodes were clear, can I ask what is MDT, is it just where they discuss your case and do an action plan, what did they say about driving and have they given you any extra exercises to do, I just have the ones on the leaflet I was given, try and have a relaxing day tomorrow because I’m sure after the stress of today you will need it, looks like we will all be having Chemo, at least we will be bald in the warmer weather, 

noodledoodle

Hello Fellow Breasties!

Well, we can all tell a story or two between us.....here is my saga from today.

Had a really emotional morning, very tearful and knotted stomach anxiety and my appointment to get histology results wasn`t until 16.00. Just managed to pull myself together, then had a phone call at lunchtime, from the hospital to say my histology results weren`t back! Talk about feeling deflated! Anyway, went to appointment  as needed wound checking and wanted to ask about driving, excercise etc. When she took my dressing off I said I believe the histology isn`t back, to be told they had just come onto the system ( emotional roller coaster doesn`t begin to describe our journies). Tumour was bigger than we thought 2.3 cms, instead of 1.8cms but with good margins and my sentinal node was clear. Triple negative ( Grrrr) as thought , so no targeted therapy will be of any use to decrease the chance of recurrence, so chemo for me, which is what I was told anyway, followed by radiotherapy.

Breast care nurse ringing me on Monday, as needs discussing at MDT but Oncology next step in a few weeks. She said they sometimes change minor things at MDT but nothing major would change. Now feel relieved again, until something else comes along! Our emotions are certainly well and truly twanged with a breast cancer diagnosis.

Hope you are all doing well and recovering @trowster and all the best for Thursday @simplyeve.

We are all getting there, slowly! Keep positive and lets hope none of us have anymore sagas to report and the rest goes smoothly.

Hugs, Sandra

Trowster

Yvonne it sounds like your all sorted now and ready for the next op, when I had a drain a found a little cloth bag to hold the drain in helped, I wore it across my body like a handbag, it leaves you with both hands free, also hubby bought me one of those squishy soft sausage cushions, it really helps to rest my arm on, I think it’s filled with polystyrene balls, they removed 16 nodes for me and 4 were positive, but I said well 12 were clear, apparently one node was very enlarged as it was fighting the cancer, nice to know we have these warriors within, I’m glad to hear the nurse will call out and see to the drain for you, that’s one less thing to worry about, I got a call yesterday and I have my CT appointment for this Thursday, but I did ask for Glan Clwyd, 

Sandra, good luck for you tomorrow, really praying for a positive way forward for you, 

have a nice day ladies, my new swinging seat is coming today, So hoping for a nice sunny day, 

simplyeve

Afternoon Ladies

Sorry I haven't been keeping up the last couple of days, I have been trying to research a little about the ANC, but there are lots of different answers within the forum so anyway today I phoned my key worker, as I know I have to have a drain and stay in overnight after my surgery but  wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to manage it once I come home.  Anyway turns out that the district nurses will visit me at home to check and measure output daily and will also remove it as soon as things settle down.  Of course I should probably have asked that at my appointment last week would have saved myself hours of fruitless searching.

So Sandra, tomorrow is results day for you, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get a good outcome in terms of the surgery and then you won't have too long to wait for your next treatment to start.  Looks like you both may start before me now.

Trowster, wow how quickly did they get your surgery done, but what an awful way to do it no planning in advance and not even knowing if they had a bed!  I must admit I am so glad I am in Wrexham, the way Bangor & Glan Clwyd work I would be a nervous wreck, and it sounds like its quite a journey for you, at least I only have a 15 min drive.  Though like you I haven't had to have another pre-op I didn't escape the covid test, been for that this morning.

I have to say 3 weeks today since my op and I feel really good, nearly all the dissolvable stitches are out, still have some bruising, though that apparently is to be expectly, I even drove myself this morning.  One thing I do have playing in my head though is that the surgeon told me the hard lumpy areas around my surgical scar are of course because of the big hole behind it!  I was telling my sister I have images of one day my breast deflating like a souffle!😂😂

Well ladies, hope you are both feeling well and rested and ready for whatever comes next. 

Keep in touch

Yvonne xx

Trowster

Fingers crossed for you for good news at your appointment, I’m having a spending day looking for new patio furniture and a nice swing seat, if I’m going to be off work I’ll have lazy days in the garden, in the shade of course especially after the radiotherapy treatment, I feel 100% today n hubby told me off for putting some washing on, try and not think too much about the results, I stressed so much on Thursday and it really wasn’t worth it, let us know how you get on, I will keep everything crossed for the best news poss, xx

noodledoodle

You poor thing! Sounds like you have been through the Mill. 
Plenty of R and R now and let everybody spoil you. You will be back on that bike before you know it. 
I feel fine at the moment, just really nervous about my results on Tuesday but I guess it is what it is and the best path forward will be taken. 
Take lots of care and put your feet up 😘 

Trowster

what a day, phoned at 9 but no bed for me, she asked me to drive there and phone when I arrived as she was certain she’d find me a bed on another ward, and she did, arrived at 10:30 n had my own private room, told I couldn’t have any fluids, Doc came at 1pm and attempted to get bloods but couldn’t get any from my arm, so she tried my wrist, omg that really hurt, but she said I can’t do I will have to get someone else to try, n off she went, the anaesthetist came in 30 min later and he said I didn’t need any bloods doing he also said I was too dehydrated as my last drink was a sip of water with my tablet at 7:30 am, he said I wasn’t going down until after 4pm so he asked the nurse to get me a jug of water n told me to finish it in the next half hour, water has never tasted so good, finally got took down on a trolley to theatre, no walking at Bangor, they decided to put the blood pressure cuff on my leg, it hurt so much I was screaming in pain, I felt like my calf was going to implode, so back it went onto my bad arm but so less painful, another doc tried to get a cannula in my arm and he couldn’t do it, so he tried my wrist I told him that failed earlier n hurt like hell, but he tried and I yelled n cried, finally he put it where I said they put it last week, I know they think they know best but I know my veins are crap and know which ones will sometimes play, anyway they woke me up about 5:50 in recovery, kept me there till 6:45 then took me back to the ward, I had zero pain and better still no sickness, I got up and put my pjs on 30 min later and went to the bathroom, 7:45 she brought me a cheese butty n a cup of coffee, after not eating for 24 hrs it tasted fab, phoned hubby to come and get me, and at 9:15 they let me go, so off I trotted with suitcase in hand n went looking for the way out, got back home at 10:25 sort off tired but wide awake, with a very badly bruised arm from all the needle attempts, I do think he drained the seroma again because it doesn’t feel as large,I’ve been told the Breast Nurse will phone on Monday, she did come to see me but I was sleeping, and I will be given an appointment for 2 weeks time with the results, let’s hope this time it’s clear, and I don’t have to have more surgery, the surgery doesn’t bother me but the pain of trying to find veins is getting worse, they said if it’s not clear they will do another shave like today as I have enough breast tissue, so praying the margins are clear, hope you ladies are not in too much pain and have decent movement in your arm and shoulder, 

hope I can sleep tonight, last night I was so stressed I was mopping floors and cleaning the bathroom at 3:30am, mopping with one arm was easier than I thought  it would be, hubby went mad when he got up, 

Trowster

I remember going for my wig fitting last time, and the one I got was in a very similar style to what I had but slightly darker than my normal colour, but there was some fab n funky wigs too, maybe this time I will go fab n funky, I got some lovely scarves and tried many different ways of wearing them, I do remember it hurting when I lost my hair my scalp was so sensitive, a  friend suggested a silk cloth over my pillow and that really helped, I also remember the joys of the steroids n being up at 4am full of energy n cleaning and cooking then flaking out on the sofa for the rest of the day, we will have to start the next stage group for chemo, 

noodledoodle

Sorry @Trowster   Just seen your clinic post! Sorry to hear your news. Looks like we are all in for the chemo and rads. At least we can keep each other going. Hopefully our downs will be few and at different times so we can all keep motivated. 
As I said, we will all be back to our normal lives eventually and we will appreciate everything all the more. 
Going with my daughter on the 19th to have lunch and a trying on of wigs!! Think I will need a wine or 2 first. She has been employed as my wig/ headscarf consultant as I haven’t the first idea. Will probably stick to the headscarves but open minded!

take care all, Sandra xx

noodledoodle

Hope you are doing okay @simplyeve   Not the news you would have wanted but I know chemo is not good but at least you will have thrown everything at it to get rid once and for all. We will have to set up a chemo thread nearer the time. Keep your chin up and you are being very well looked after by your team. 
@Trowster @I still haven’t had my appointment through , so am having to chase up. Was told there wasn’t any slots left for next week, so waiting for Breast Nurse to phone back as I don’t think that’s good enough. We aren’t dealing with an ingrowing toenail after all!! Perhaps I am being too harsh, but when the consultant says 2 weeks, then surely that doesn’t mean 3 weeks plus!

anyway I will keep on but shouldn’t need to do that when coping with a cancer diagnosis. 
I will attempt to put a photo on of my hair crop. I have had short hair for most of my life but have recently grown it longer for a change......well that didn’t last long. 
hope your appointment went well this morning Trowster and take lots of care both. We will all be normal again before we know it. 
just had a phone call to say they are putting an extra clinic on for Tuesday ( after all my moaning) 😂😂

sandra

Trowster

hi, 

got to my appointment with the hubby and thought it quite funny when a nurse came out to take my temp and his, then she said are you here for surgery tomorrow, I said no I’ve already had that, n off she went, then the Breast Care nurse took me in told me to strip and put on the sexy gown, she was checking my arm movement n I said look I can ride my bike and indicate and I may go for a ride on Saturday, she shook her head n gave me a knowing look, I then said am I going to surgery again tomorrow, and she said yes, the Doc will come in now and discuss things with you, it’s a good job I was sitting down I wasn’t expecting that, he said he needs to take a shaving from next to to the tumour site, they have removed all the cancerous cells but there’s some pre cancer cells showing next to where the tumour was, I said why not just do a mastectomy n have done with it, he said it might come to that if after this shaving it’s still showing any signs, also I will need Chemo and Radiotherapy, so have a long journey today we have to do it all again tomorrow as my Op will be at Ysbetty Bangor, so poor hubby will have to drive me an hr there then 1 hr back and have to repeat it later to bring me home, n let’s hope this time I am only a day patient, I’ve got to have a CT scan and a bone scan to check it hasn’t spread any further, so I feel like I’ve had a sickening kick to the guts today, but I did get a personal tour around the new cancer day Centre that will be opening at Bangor, my friend Jane works there, so I popped in for a coffee n chat after my appointment, she has also had BC so talking to someone who has gone through this is good, xx

Trowster

Yvonne, sorry the news you got isn’t as good as we all would of liked it to be, I had the same thing 13 years ago and it’s a very emotional time because your just getting over one surgery then you have to have another one, but you will then be given a few weeks to heal before your chemo starts, do you know where you will go for it, I have my appointment this morning and didn’t sleep too well last night so I think it’s on my mind more than I think, they have said hubby can come in with me so that’s a bonus, he always thinks I’m holding something back, as if I would, he’s just so protective and I know I’m so lucky, I’m having our outside decking replaced today so going shopping for some nice new decking furniture 

Noodledoodle, you will have to share a picture of your new hairstyle, hope your appointment has come through and you know when you have to go back, 

simplyeve

Hi Ladies

Glad to hear you are feeling so much better now Trowster.  Lucky you having a good friend and hairdresser, I did have a great hairdresser who came to my home for several years, but she decided to change her career and went first into a classroom assistant post with special needs and loved it so much she decided to train as a teacher; my daughter lives in France so before the pandemic I went to a French salon by her a couple of  times a year when we visited and only recently found a lovely hairdresser a couple of miles up the road, so I will have to make an appointment with her and get my hair cut shorter. 

I had my follow up appointment today and had mixed news, so it may have to wait a couple of weeks, as I had a much larger tumour than was diagnosed on my scan, although my margins are clear which is a big relief,  one of my sentinel nodes was confirmed positive, so I am now scheduled for an ANC next Thursday and have had it confirmed that I will "very likely" have chemo as well as the rads my surgeon previously told me about, he is such a lovely man and is always trying to put things in a way he thinks is informative without being alarming.  To be fair I always thought I would be having chemo as was IDC grade3 and triple positive, but the size of the tumour and lymph node involvement has put me at a stage 2B. 

Whilst I am not looking forward to another surgery and on the day I will no doubt be nervous yet again, I am so glad that I am being offered treatment so quickly, I'm also glad I will have your expert help in the ANC dept Trowster.  Hope everything goes well for your follow up appointment tomorrow too.

Noodledoodle you are doing amazingly well by the sound of it, I was given my follow up appointment date by the nurse before I was discharged and then got a confirmation letter at the end of last week.  Hopefully yours will arrive by the end of the week too.  Great that you have an appointment for your new hairstyle, I'm sure it will look fantastic, and it certainly helps us get used to the idea of a "shorter" style, I joked with my husband that we will look like twins soon, as he has already lost his hair.

Good luck with your results and ongoing treatment ladies and please keep updating here.  Gentle hugs to you both.

Yvonne

Trowster

I have a fantastic hairdresser who has become one of my best friends over the 20 yrs I have known her, when I got my first diagnosis she put pink streaks in the front of my hair, it looked bloody fantastic, then when I had my first chemo she cropped it into a very short style, when it started falling out my hubby shaved it off for me, it’s hard to see your hair go but it does grow back and you can decide on a whole new style, I didn’t like the wig but I had some lovely scarfs and found different ways of wearing them, my hairdresser phoned me last week and asked if I wanted her to call at my house and wash my hair for me, but I was isolating so had to say no, but I might call her and get it done tomorrow at the salon before I go for my results, enjoy your day at the salon pampering is good for the soul, I’m feeling back to normal today and looking forward to meeting some friends on Saturday, there cycling the 20 miles here to meet me for coffee at the castle, I might cycle the 2 miles to meet them there, I’m so lucky with my support group, hope you guys are too, have a fab day lovely ladies, 

simplyeve

Hi Trowster

To say I am appalled is an understatement, we are both in Betsi Cadwaladr, but your treatment compared to mine is a millon miles apart.  I am so sorry you have had to go through such a dreadful time and do hope that Maggi is now there to support you.

I also hope that you feel alot more comfortable, I totally agree that you need to confirm that all treatment should be in Glan Clwyd and not Bangor.  I was initially told that I might have to go to Bangor due to the Covid, but was lucky enough to be able to be treated in Wrexham.  Please do let us know how things go on Thursday and rant as much as you need to.  Gentle hugs.

Yvonne 

PS What lovely friends you have to send you such a nice pick you up. 

noodledoodle

Oh no!  You poor thing. As if you haven’t enough to be anxious about without being passed from Pillar to Post. 
Anyway, you obviously have lovely supportive family and friends. Enjoy the gin and hot chocolate, you deserve it. 
I am feeling fine at the moment. Supposed to be seeing Consultant next week but haven’t received appointment yet!

Have managed to get a hairdressers appointment for Monday though, which was an achievement 😂😂. Having my hair cropped, so I can get used to it very short before it all disappears. 
good luck with all your results ladies. 🤞 

Trowster

well what a day, I phoned the ward to be told no breast nurse on that ward, but they will try and get a message to someone, so I phoned the number on my discharge letter but that was the admittance ward and no breast nurses were on duty today, so I tried the switchboard and asked for the breast nurse, but no one available so I left a message, finally got a call back from Glan Clwyd to be told I’m not there problem as my surgeon is based in Bangor but I told her I had my operation at  Glan Clwyd, she told me to phone my surgeons secretary at Bangor, so I tried but no one was in the office, really feeling abandoned and in a lot of discomfort and hubby was starting to get really annoyed, so I phoned Breast Test Wales but I burst into tears,, just fed up of repeating my saga, she told me to phone the surgeons secretary again and she would also try and help me, then I got a call from the breast nurse Maggi at Glan Clwyd, she was my original breast nurse 13 years ago and she remembered me, she said there was a mix up because my surgeon isn’t based at their hospital but I am there responsibility and to go in at 3:30 this afternoon, then a knock at the door with a parcel, I thought it was some outside lights I’d ordered and got a lovely surprise when I opened the box, it was from my Breezers Cycling Group and it was Hotel Chocolate with 2 small bottles of gin and lots of chocolates, so more tears, but happy ones this time, they’d already sent me a huge bouquet last week, anyway I went to the hospital and she said it was a large seroma and she drained 300ml of fluid from it, she said I will need it doing again on Thursday when I see the surgeon, I will be letting him know what problems I have had, and also that I don’t want to go all the way to Bangor for any more treatments when Clan Clwyd is only 20 min away from home, and Clan Clwyd was where I had all my previous treatments and they were very good, despite today, sorry for my rant, I hope you ladies are keeping well and recovering well with very little pain, xx

simplyeve

Hi Trowster,

I only had SNB so whilst I have some swelling, I don't have any fluid build up,  I do have a small cording which I find improves when I stretch out,  so sorry I can't be more helpful with the fluid build up, but I do hope that you have been to A & E if it is causing you serious pain.

It's so awful that your breast nurse has not been in contact with you, I would feel exactly the same as you in feeling really let down if I was in your position.  I do hope you are feeling better soon and that you have managed to get some relief over the easter weekend.  

Gentle hugs

Yvonne

Trowster

Hi, I had a full axillary clearance, so I was expecting some fluid build up, I will phone first thing on Tuesday it’s not stopping me doing the exercises just causes slight discomfort n my arm is getting achey n heavy, nearly had a fight with the hubby today, he wouldn’t let me prep the veg for dinner, I was only peeling carrots n potatoes, 

noodledoodle

Hi @Trowster 

I was told that a Seroma was not dangerous and if there was any fluid build up they would be able to drain it easily at clinic. My underarm does feel a little heavier but no obvious swelling. If it’s not painful I would just speak to nurse on Tuesday. 
its a shame nobody has been in touch and it’s natural to want support from the experts. I think we all worry about everything and a chat with someone who knows, to reassure you makes the world of difference 

I would definitely ring first thing on Tuesday and speak to someone, who will hopefully reassure you and put you at your ease. Did you have node clearance or just sentinel node ?  I was told with sentinel node removal, it was unusual to get a Seroma   
take care and hope you are sorted soon 😘 

Trowster

Happy Easter, I hope the bunnies have left you an egg, just phoned the hospital because I think I have fluid build up seroma, can’t put my arm flat against my body, I was advised to call if this happened, but I phoned and I’ve been told there’s no breast nurses on till Tuesday so phone back then, unless it gets really painful then take myself to AnE to get it drained, I’m really feeling let down with the breast nurse care, I was told she would phone after diagnosis and before Op but she didn’t, I was told to expect a call after the Op but still heard nothing, I know there all so busy but a follow up call to just check on things and put me at my ease would help, or am I just being over sensitive, have you ladies noticed any build up of fluid, looks a bit like a baby boob at the side of my boob,

simplyeve

Hi Trowster

Good to hear from you, agree anaesthetic blues do seem to hit you, I can't remember exactly which day it was but I know I was very emotional over little things.  Re the swelling, I said to my husband that I had swelling which was causing me discomfort as every time I moved my arm it was aggravating my bruising.  I am feeling alot better now and think starting the next set of exercises from Tuesday has helped as most of my brusing has now disappeared though I do still have some on the breast area itself and what I think is blue dye staining.  But I think if you have any doubts you should be able to contact the ward for advice.  Happy Easter to you too. xx

Trowster

Glad you la dies are both doing well, think I had a touch of the anaesthetic blues this morning, after feeling fantastic the past 2 days, today I feel really tired and a bit swollen, my arm won’t lie flat against my body so wondering if it is normal swelling or a seroma, I still haven’t heard anything from the breast nurse since I was diagnosed, and I’m sure she won’t be back in till Tuesday, so if the swelling increases I will phone the ward n speak to them, well the sun is starting to make an appearance n hubby might go out to cut the hedges, so I will sit watch n supervise, lol, enjoy the weekend and Happy Easter xx

simplyeve

Hi Noodledoodle

So glad you are home and your surgery went well.  I hope you have also managed to get a good rest and some time to get over your anaesthetic.  Steristrips and showers sound wonderful.  I had a full dressing but unfortunately when it was removed on day 2 after my op caused some bleeding so I had an iodine strip and new waterproof dressing  which was finally removed on Tuesday this week.  I managed a couple of half filled baths until Monday, when I had a wonderful shower and managed to wash my hair, but didn't dare risk it until then.

Am now doing all my exercises In preparation for my results next Wednesday, the first week has simply flown, so it won't be too long before your getting those results.  Hope you continue to improve.

Gentle Hugs

Yvonne 

noodledoodle

Hi everybody,

still here! Surgery done and not too bad. Just feel a bit tender and sleepy. Not as bad as I thought, so far! Anaesthetic went okay this time, as I had laryngospasm last time I had one, which was worrying me this time as they struggled to get an airway in apparently, but all went smoothly yesterday...phew  

just have waterproof strips over wounds, so can shower okay, which is good. Back to outpatients for histology and node biopsy results in 2 weeks 🤞

hope everybody is progressing well just off to do my exercises and then a duvet day, I think😁😁

noodledoodle

hi @Trowster @and @simplyeve 

thanks so much for your message. I feel quite calm and collected at the moment. That may well change tomorrow. I think I am just relieved that the first hurdle will be over with soon. Like everybody else, I am not good with all the waiting around, knowing that there is a cancer growing in your breast!

Just been sitting in the garden , in the lovely sunshine, which makes me feel better. 
Hope everything went well for you @Trowster and that you are both recovering well. 
will let you know how it goes!

Trowster

noodledoodle you will be in good hands tomorrow just try and get a good nights sleep tonight, I know it’s hard not to stress but try your very best, hope it goes smoothly, xx

simplyeve

@noodledoodle @Hope you are feeling ok and not too nervous about tomorrow.  Hope you are sitting relaxing somewhere, maybe the garden, it's a beautiful day here in North Wales.  Anyway just wanted to let you know I am wishing you all the best for tomorrow. Do let us know how you got on when you feel up to it

@Trowster Hope you are ok.  Remember to rest and relax now the surgery is over.  Am thinking of you both.

Gentle hugs xx

Trowster

Thanks simply Eve, I wish I could go out on the bike but I was told to isolate, n if I go for a ride I’m bound to bump into friends, just given the bedroom a good once over, and had a sort out, why did I have so many shoes, lol, I even have 4 pair of cycling shoes, going to have that nice hot bath later, hubby has put me some new books on my reader and more music on the I player, so I’m good to go, it’s like preparing to go on holiday, I do feel quite relaxed about it all, but maybe that will change once I get to hospital, 

Trowster

Simply Eve, it sounds like you are doing amazing and listening to your body and resting when you need too, good to hear your node wounds are healing so well, my hubby suggested moving into the spare room too, we’re lucky to have such thoughtful husbands, looks like the weather is going to get better as the week goes on so you might be able to enjoy sitting out in the garden, 

Trowster

Good luck with your Covid check tomorrow, I’ve just got the all clear so it’s a green to go for the operation tomorrow, would you believe hubby was changing the bed this morning and the frame has broke, so it’s propped up n held together until the shops open on the 12 n we can go for a new one, looked on line but I really need to see it for myself, just something to laugh at with everything else that’s going on, and my Nephew has had a baby boy this morning and named him Jack after my Dad, a healthy 7lb 14 oz, this really has brightened my day, just sad we can’t go n see them, I’ll let you know how tomorrow goes, and Wednesday will soon be here for you, love n hugs 

simplyeve

@Trowster  

Just wanting to second noodledoodle in wishing you all the best for tomorrow.  Try and enjoy today, takea nice relaxing bath,with a good book and a scented candle or some music, though I suspect you will enjoy a good bike ride too.  Whatever you do make it a good day. Before you know it your op will be done.

When you come home remember to rest and take things at your own pace.  When you're ready we'd love to hear from you.  Big hugs xx

noodledoodle

Good luck for tomorrow @Trowster. Hope everything goes well. Will be thinking of you! Xx

noodledoodle

So glad you are doing so well. I feel okay about the surgery, especially after hearing how well you have done. 
my pre op went fine. Everybody is so nice and jolly, that I always feel more upbeat after a hospital visit ( sounds daft, I know). Just want Wednesday to arrive now and get it over with!

I have somebody phoning me this afternoon regarding surgery and preparing. 
take care. Xx

simplyeve

@noodledoodle  I am recoving really well thanks.  I had a slight issue on Wednesday when the District Nurse came in to change my dressing, as unfortunately it made my wound bleed again, but she has put an iodine dressing on and covered it with a waterproof dressing, so I could shower, though I wasn't brave enough to risk the dressings coming off so sat in the bath and bathed myself gently with a flannel instead, she phoned to check how it was yesterday and now will come back next Tuesday, by which time it should be healed, to remove it.

My node scar is dry and so that has been left exposed now.  Obviously I have some bruising and swellling to be expected and I needed a couple of days to get over the anaesthetic.  I stayed in bed all day Tuesday got up Wednesday but just sat downstairs watching TV then when I felt tired came back to bed, by yesterday was feeling much better and am now only taking the ibuprofen presribed rather than the co-codomol more for swelling than pain.  Am sleeping well (though hubby moved into spare bed when I came home and will stay there until dressing is off, just to be safe).  I have been doing my exercises, they were relatively easy and get easier by the day.  Whilst I am not about to go mad hoovering or lifting stuff I would say I am more or less back to normal.  

How did your pre op go? Hope you are not getting too stressed as your op is approaching, I found that as I had things to prepare it made it pass more quickly and was more stressed about the covid test than the op, doesn't that sound silly!  We are here for you too noodledoodle so any time you need info or just a bit of moral support let us know.  

Big hugs to you xxx

Yvonne

noodledoodle

Sorry you are feeling a bit down Trowster. Simplyeve is right, anymore stress at the moment is the last thing you need. I am sure it will all go smoothly, just sounds like all the dots aren’t joining up at the moment with the service. You will feel much better once your surgery is done, which won’t be long. 
give the breast are nurses a ring as you will feel much better after a chat with them and you always have us guys on here for support too. 
good luck with everything on Monday and let us know how you get on. I will be close behind on Wednesday!

Hope your recovery is going well @simplyeve

best wishes xx

simplyeve

I'm so sorry to hear you are not getting the contact with your hospital support team, I know how important that is, there are three ladies in Wrexham and I can contact any one of them at any time. I was also given a large blue folder with information in it,  so as it covers all of Betsi Cadwaladr Hospitals I have numbers for all three.  I really think you should have had a copy from your "key worker" but in case you haven't I will message you privately the numbers for Glan Clwyd and also Bangor Cancer Treatment Centre

My key worker is Natalie in Wrexham she is my go to person though I have met Janet too, and on the information sheet they gave me are numbers for the Breast Teams at all three hospital so I will include those too.  I'm not sure I should give the numbers out on a public forum that's why I'm not putting them on here.

I really do think you should ring one of them and speak to someone, the last thing you need is stress right now.  I was also give a pre op leaflet which confirmed what time I should arrive, when I should last eat and drink etc the name of my surgeon.  It did not state the date of my surgery and the subsequent letter I received stated my date was provisional which confused me a bit, but Natalie phoned me as promised on the Thursday before my op and said I was definitely on the list.  I'm not sure who your surgeon is, but you could always try giving his secretary a ring too.

I hope this helps you get some answers Trowster, it's such a stressful time with Covid Tests etc and even though I had self isolated and been very careful I was still worried that my test would come back positive, which was ridiculous really as I hadn't been in contact with anyone.  Oh just thought too I was told that the result of my covid test wouldn't be available until the Sunday before my op and if I didn't hear from the hospital on Sunday I should just go for my op, but, on Saturday morning I got a text message from the NHS trace and test people confirming it was negative, it was a great relief and I could stop worrying over the weekend.

I do hope you are feeling better today and I will try and pay better attention to the forum in case you have any more question.  Big hugs and please let us know if we can help you over the next couple of days.  

Yvonne

Trowster

thanks ladies, felt a bit down today, went for my pre op checks but I still haven’t received the appointment letter they say they sent, also the breast nurse last week said she would phone me but she hasn’t, I have my Covid test in the morning, just feeling a bit, well I don’t know really, I have great support from family n friends but feeling let down by the care team, if I hadn’t chased them I wouldn’t of known I had an appointment this morning, not sure what time I have to be at the hospital on Monday, 7 or 7:30 so I will just go for 7, I’d sooner be early than late, oh well let’s hope the breast care nurse phones me tomorrow,  the letter I was given last week just states the time n place for my op, and it says a breast care nurse will be in touch in the next few days to offer support , discuss my treatment plan and answer any questions, n that was 8 days ago. I know there busy but it’s there support I feel I need second time around,

simplyeve

Hi trowster

I agree with fruitcake loose clothing I bought a button up blouse a size larger than my usual and wore leggings which weren't as easy as I expected as had to put them on over ted stocking. I took towel flannel and pj's  "just in case" slippers and again an oversized dressing gown. Made it easy to get my arm through.  Also wore slip on shoes so no laces to tie.

Had a shower before I went in and was advised not to shave or use deodorant by my breast nurse.  Hope this helps.  

Hope pre op goes well.  Chester is so lovely down by the river nice and relaxing.  Anything else keep asking

Hugs Yvonne 

Fruitcake

Hi Trowster,

I had a mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction and stayed overnight in hospital, but I think the principle is the same for all surgeries. For such a short stay I changed into a hospital gown soon after arrival that I wore till I got dressed to leave next morning.

My advice is to wear something comfortable and slightly loose that you can put back on without moving your surgery-side arm too much. I chose trousers I could pull up with one hand and a top that opened at the front so no need to go over my head. 

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Trowster

what do I wear to go into hospital, do I take pjs with me, or just go in clothes n put them back on to come home later and wear a hospital gown in between, of all the silly things to worry about, this is the dilemma I have,