cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two operations or one?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Two operations or one?

Hi again Ollies

Hope you're comfey and recovering well from your op. Hope you're getting plenty of spoiling and giving yourself some too Smiley Happy Heart 'cos it's horrible waiting on results. I've got my fingers crossed for you too, flower.

Also glad to hear things are now coming together for you with your next steps, things are being put in place, and that you're feeling so confident with your surgeon. That's great stuff.

xxxx

Hi Delly,

I went in for my first op and came home yesterday. My surgeon was under the impression that I would have met up with the plastic surgeon and it would be arranged. It was all a matter of getting tests for any breakthrough out of the way for her but she still was very positive. I told her there had been no contact from the other surgeon so she chased them up straight after the operation. I got a call from them yesterday giving me an appointment to meet them on Tuesday next week. 

Strong woman there!!!!  The plastic surgeon she has connected up with for the main op has amazing reviews so with her solidity and his reputation I feel a lot more positive now. 

I'll get the results from this last op in 2 weeks so fingers crossed. I still don't know if the next op is dependent on the results yet but will certainly find out tuesday.

xxxxx

Ollies41/Sam  - Have you yet had an answer from your Onco op team??

Wishing you well with it all and lots of love xxx

Thaanks Jaybo,

That's why I'm confused really. They have told me that I have nothing to worry about as there is is no risk of breakthrough even though my DCIS is widespread and high grade, then told me I have to have a separate op to remove 3 sentinel nodes. The surgeon has also sent a letter to the hospital asking for an 'immediate operation for the mastectomy and reconstruction'.

If there is such certainty then why the need for another appointment? 

Worryingly confusing!

Sorry if I'm sounding a wimp.

Sam x

Hi Sam

I don’t think they’d want to put you through two general anaesthetics so, unless your diagnosis is such that the reconstruction might get in the way of treatment, logic says it would be one op. Certainly I had all my nodes removed (axillary clearance) at the same time as my mastectomy and they well and truly influenced my diagnosis.

Good luck with the surgery (and make sure you do those exercise from the very start!).

Two operations or one?

Hi,

Could any of you tell me whether you have your sentinel nodes removed (3 of them), Mastectomy and DIEP carried out in the same operation or if you had the Sentinel nodes removed in a separate one first?

Just hearing a lot of different experiences but the majority both at once. I really don't want to have 2 separate operations.

Thanks all

Sam xx