Re: Week post lymph node clearance

Hi it was a seroma  had it drained today. Thanks xx

Alvilajo

Thanks going to give nurse a call at 9 x

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Avilajo, if it is localised swelling it is probably a seroma. Lymphodema is when the lymph glands can’t or don’t re route fluid and there is a build up in the whole arm, resulting in extreme puffiness and heaviness. My advice is to get it checked out ASAP.....and knock the housework on the head until you do! X

Paulus

Hi again, just in reply in case you were asking me?  I had surgery May 2018 for invasive ductal with some DCIS discovered at op, 1 out of 11 nodes removed positive ( could feel a lump in armpit when finding breast lump ) - aged 62 at the time - it turned out to be Grade 3 so they advised chemo, but I refused, my personal choice - it was a squeak at the margins at surgery! - I had 15 + 5 boosters of radiotherapy July/August last year - found that very manageable, luckily that I live in London, and accessing my hospital has good transport links, as times could vary from early morning to late afternoon, lol - but it was summer so wasn't unpleasant to be out and about - would probably say it was the boosters that gave me some soreness, redness, dryness, but nothing that wasn't manageable - I used Dr Hauschka Rose Oil, a little went a long way, because a) daughter bought it specifically for me and b) no nasties in it.  A lot of people swear by the Aveeno range.  I agreed to Letrozole since the r/t but have stopped it the last 6 weeks or so, as I was getting worse back pains than usual, and referred myself for a bone scan - everything points to my pains being mechanical at the moment as I have some curvature of spine, and getting older, some arthritis etc etc  - and I refused bisphosphonates because I don't have the best of teeth and wasn't going to risk it.  Don't let me be any example to live by, because for me, I'm older, I have my own perspectives on life and quality of, and my kids 'get me' (they are all grown up), and I know that I am the oncologists nightmare with my self-prescribing!!  I would say that once you are in the BC system, that you use every aspect of it to help you in the way that you need it - such as, speaking to the BC Nurses if you are worried? 

I hope anything I have said has been a help rather than a hindrance, because I'm just being open and honest. Wish you all the very best. x 

Alvilajo

Hi what's a seroma? Don't us girls go through it 🙄 I am on antibiotics as breast wound infected so that prob doesn't help either. Take care xxxxx

Alvilajo

Thanks for replying. I defiantly did too much and have just read up about the strain put on it by doing simple tasks. Did you have chemo and radio therapy and how did you find it all xxxx

Jay68

Good morning, 

Rather than worry, if I were in your position, I too would speak with your Breast Care Team.  It's always better to get it looked at.  

I would imagine, however, that if anything it may be a seroma rather than lymphodema - but that's my own personal view and of course, I can't see the area you're concerned about.

I'm 2 years on from having all my lymph nodes removed under my right arm (17 in total - 1 was positive or had been before chemo!) - and I still get aching after strenuous activity.  I still don't carry heavy bags in that hand - it's adapting yourself accordingly!

I have an area of loose skin under my arm to the side of my mastecomy - it's something they refer to as a "dogs ears" - apparently you can have surgery to remove which I'm fairly happy to avoid.  

You have a perfect excuse to cut down on the housework - you know there is always a silver lining to most situations!!! 

Take care x

Paulus

Good morning - maybe you can contact a BC Nurse at your hospital for some advice this morning, to put your mind at rest, or for them to tell you to come in and someone have a look?  Better than worrying methinks.

As an aside, I'm one year on from a WLE and lymph node removal ( 11 out, 1 positive ) and I decided to hoover the whole of the house yesterday afternoon as everyone was out - and this morning I am definitely feeling 'different' in the underarm area, and that will remind me that little and often is better than a blitz !!!  I used to carry loads of heavy shopping too, and that's something I had to revise. . . . .

I'm sure it's early days for you and everything is still mending, but if in doubt, get a professional to give you the thumbs up, if you can. x

Alvilajo

Week post lymph node clearance

Hi, I don't want to rush and think it's lymphodema but have swelling around wound to side of breast. Arm and hands are fine. Could this just be from the op, yesterday I did too much I think housework wise xx