Thanks mpnewcastle, I appreciate your honesty. I am more inclined towards resuming my BC plan than letting C19 influence, from when I posted this originally. Hope you are doing well.
Hi, I have continued chemotherapy and had 2 surgeries through this covid situation. I did and am worried about covid but the truth is that I decided that the benefits far outweighed the risk. 2 diseases: covid and BC, I decided if i was going to risk dying of either then covid would be the least awful. Sorry if this is too blunt but its a true reflection of my decision.
Hi Kit Kat, you'll see posts 'crossed in the post' and I've decided against. I'm so sorry to read you dealing with the 'shot through nerves' - don't we all know that awful place to be. Stay safe, sane and be kind to yourself Kit Kat. Keep posting if it helps. Hug to you and all. Wonky X
Jaybro, as always great support and sense. After posting I wound myself down with a bit of gardening and worked out I'm not ready and have cancelled. I know you won't misunderstand where I'm coming from ...the last thing the NHS super hero's need on their hands is a patient who panics to the point of passing out with fear. And not safe to drive for same reason!
i was in a similar position to you ....on 30th April the breast unit contacted me to ask me to attend for annual mammo ( after cancelling my appointment in March when we locked down) .....they offered me an appointment the following day 1st May and told me they only offering 2 appointments a day....one in the morning and one in the afternoon....like you I was very anxious about going.....in fact I almost didn’t.....but in the end I did.
And yes, it was very anxiety provoking, I had my temp taken and all staff in full PPE.... but I only saw 3 staff members in the whole of the outpatients building, and not a single other patient....and the staff were so lovely and caring.
Fast forward a week, I got a phone call today, asking me to return next Monday for a further mammo and an ultra scan due to ‘specs’ seen on the mammo. Now it may be just calcifications or it may be something more serious....and my nerves are currently shot to piece. I have had DCIS twice in 2012 and in 2018 and am terrified of what this may be..... but I am very glad I managed to go when they asked me.
i know everyone is different....and I’m certainly not going to tell you what to do....but maybe talk it over with someone who knows you well and see how you feel. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I think you answer your own question almost - you aren’t ready. The risk of contracting covid-19 is much lower now and the PPE is for the staff’s protection just in case. They will take all the necessary measures to keep you safe so...the problem is your perception of covid-19. If you have been self-isolating and are fearful that it’s too soon, I’d say delay it. You have a good reason.
However, don’t cancel it - postpone it. Wait till you can safely be driven to the appointment and feel more confident of managing your anxiety. You don’t want to end up like me, decades ago - alarms ringing, 6 staff appearing from nowhere and me fainted but still fixed between plates. No one thought to press the release button lol. I fainted (I think) because I’m claustrophobic. Get a chauffeur when restrictions are lifted and take a couple of sedatives or half a bottle of gin or whatever...
I’d also say be wary of cancer language. “Highly aggressive” sounds terrifying but it’s to distinguish between different types of aggressive cancers. It’s oncologists’ talk. You had the treatment to destroy it so it will no longer be highly aggressive, aggressive or even be... It might be a good idea to ring the nurse here and see what she thinks? But me, I wouldn’t go for now. A few weeks shouldn’t matter so long as you don’t get wound up over the future prospect (which I completely empathise with, but for different reasons) xx
Hi, I was diagnosed exactly a year ago, to the day. Had phone call today to say to come into hospital for mammogram next Tuesday. When I say 'in' specifically a mobile testing unit, which is a confined space. Told staff will be in full PPE. That's good but shows the level of risk. My question is, which is the biggest risk - delaying the mamo ( my BC was "highly aggressive"), or risk Covid? Particularly freaked out that they rang bang on the anniversary, as though it is important to get another look at me asap. As old posts show I panic every time I have to go for treatment/ tests ( I'm frightened of hospitals) beginning to wonder if going to the appt will set me back mentally too. Plus I'm not allowed to bring anyone with me and I've no idea what state I'll be in and as driving myself can't take a sedative. Advice ladies please. X