Worried and struggling with decisions

I want to ask of other peoples experiences of having a mastectomy to one breast, with immediate reconstruction using flesh from back that will be still connected to blood vessels and a reduction of the good breast a a much later date.  I have very slight lymphedema on that arm.

Hi At, just wanted to acknowledge your post and your anxiety. I’m sure members with similar experiences will be along soon. If you want some medical facts why not post on the nurses section? They are such a support and so knowledgable. X

Hi AR,

I can only give you my experience of being wonky after the first op and having a reduction of the bigger non-bc side much later on (since I had a lumpectomy resulting in significant size difference). 

As compared even with the lumpectomy, I found the surgery to carry out a reduction on the non-bc side was much easier to recover from. When I mentioned this to the breast care nurse she said it was because the surgery for a reduction is far less invasive. It did take 2 reductions to reduce down to a pretty close size match, which I spread 1 year apart. 

I’m sure another forum member will reply soon re the mastectomy and recon q.

If you do have any q’s about the reduction side of things happy to help from my experience.   

You might also find the breast cancer care nurses at the hospital and the nurses on the Breast Cancer Care phone line can help give you a bit more information and/or reassurance of what to expect and thereby help make you feel more informed to make your decision.

Sending hugs, I’m sure once you have decided you will feel a bit calmer.

Take one day at a time.

Seabreeze