implant care - any advice?

Hello you lovely lot.

I’m after any advice on caring for implant reconstructions, short- and long-term. Googling gives me a lot of augmentation stuff (not useful, but kind of funny: I have implants and ended up smaller, hahah!) or surgical info on reconstruction (still not so useful as we’ve done that already).

Really, just any first hand hints and tips, or links to useful resources, about the best ways to adapt to living with the new girls and doing what’s best for all three (?) of us! LOL!

For background: had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate silicone implants at the start of Jan this year. And loads of stuff before that, but yawn

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi bookish,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry you haven’t had any response yet. I am hoping my response will help our members to see your post and share their advice and experience.

In the meantime, for any clinical question, our breast care nurses are here and happy to talk.

Sending you our best wishes,

Zoe

Hi bookish

I have a silicone implant, but wasn’t given any instructions about caring for it so I don’t do anything, except check the area in case it has hardened or for any odd changes. But I’m happy to help with any questions if I can. I’d be interested to see if anyone else was given care instructions.

Evie xx

Hello,

I had a mastectomy with immediate implant (silicone) reconstruction in November 2020. My implant sits on top of my chest muscle. I had a couple of physio sessions and I was given exercises to make sure my arm movement returned to normal. The physio also advised not to lift anything too heavy until 12 werks past op.

I was advised by my surgeon to wear a post surgery bra for 24 hours a day for around 12 weeks. He said this would help keep the implant stable and knit to the skin. In my recent check up I had some scar tissue forming around the edge of my implant under my arm. The consultant suggested firmly massaging these lumps. Less than a week later they had gone! I also apply the E45 to my skin on my new breast as since surgery I have a couple of stretch marks. 

Hope this helps, this is the main care I’ve been giving to my implant:) feel free to ask any other questions. 

X

Hi there…sorry I’m not giving advise as I’ve not had it done…what I do want to ask you though is what you think of the girls? I’m possibly about to have this done and am wondering what they may look like?