cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some questions about radiotherapy

10 REPLIES 10

Re: some questions about radiotherapy

Thank you Helena,
That is useful to read. That was exactly one of my concerns when I thought about timings, when I got home!
Best wishes
Jane xx

Thank you Evie, for all the tips for when I start radiotherapy. I have had lots of offers for friends to drive me. Our local hospital (which is ten minutes walk from my workplace) has a radiotherapy unit that was meant to open in the summer, and now may open in December, so I am hoping I can just walk there before or after work.

Best wishes

Jane xx

Community Champion

Jane

That is what we are all about my dear helping each other, celebrating the highs and good news, but also just being there when you just need someone to talk to

I remember being worried about going 4 days without rads because it was a weekend and then 2 bank holiday days, my team were so reassuring when I rang them I felt so much better.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi Jane

I am sooo pleased to read your good news, it's always lovely to read good stories on here. I found radiotherapy tiring, that was the hardest part - but mostly because I had to go to hospital every day, which was about an hour each way. See if you can arrange for friends to drive you, if that's at all possible. Buy some good moisturisers, I bought some aloe vera gel from Holland and Barrett and also used Aveeno. Some hospitals have definite ideas on moisturisers and only "allow" aqueous cream. Oh yes, I remember reading on here that some people got their GPs to prescribe R1 and R2 cream - and mine did, I found they really worked. My oncologist had never heard of it!

Keep focussing on the words "cancer free" that will get you through.

Lovely words in your latest post, you are right this forum really is a wonderful place.

Hugs, Evie xx

Thank you Helena,
That is helpful advice. Also I did wonder what would happen if I start before Christmas. Al those bank holidays!
I am so touched that all you lovely ladies are so genuinely pleased for me. I feel the same. We share each other's highs and lows and really empathise.
Best wishes
Jane xx
Community Champion

Janie

That is great news and such a relief.

I did work throughout my rads, however!! on a very reduced week, they allowed me to work 4 hours a day for 3 days a week, as where i work is half way between my home and the hospital on those days I arranged for my sessions to be in the early afternoon then on the other days I went with what they gave me.  It made sense in order to avoid unnecessary travelling.  I drove to the hospital and then back home after.

Those are the exact words my oncologist said to me I was cancer free and the rads were belts and braces.

Just make sure that you take in plenty of fluid as this will help with any potential dehydration you might experience from the rads.  Remember as with everything, not everyone gets all or any of the side effect.

I started my rads the week before xmas and finished on January 19 the following year, it was a pain because it did extended the time by 4 days because of the bacnk holidays.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi Evie,

Thank you for sharing your story with me. It is clear that different hospitals have different approaches.

My results were really good so I am very happy. The nodes are clear! Also there was complete pathological response from my invasive tumour to the chemo. The tumour bed was 4 cm not 5 cm. However they are still recommending radiotherapy - this is likely to be end of December / early January. They said it should be ideally within 31 days of seeing the oncologist, which will be in about two weeks, so I will probably be back at work and trying to fit it in, and hope the side effects aren't too bad!

They said I am now cancer free. The radiotherapy is belt and braces. The herceptin and tamoxifen should also help stop recurrence. If the cancer comes back, they said it could be a different type. As I have had cancer in one breast I am at a  slightly higher risk of getting it in the other breast but it is a really low percentage risk, my breast cancer nurse said.

So I am feeling positive and strong today. Thank you for your post.

Best wishes

Jane x

Hi Jane

I'm not sure if I can help at all, but I'm happy to share my story in case it does. I hope you have had some reassuring results at your appointment today.

I was ER/PR positive, had chemo first, then mastectomy, immediate recon with implant and node clearance and finally radiotherapy. My radiotherapy started about 5 weeks after the date of my mastectomy.

It does seem that different teams have different views on what treatment is appropriate, but then again we are all individuals so I guess they tailor treatment for the individual. Your team will be happy to discuss the research you have done. You have good questions in your post - do ask your team for the answers. I believe it if comes back it can come back in either breast/nodes, so we have to remain vigilant even after a mastectomy.

If I can help further please do message.

Sending you hugs.

Evie xx

Thank you for your reply Helena,
I have noticed how reassuring you have been to several ladies on this forum. We are very grateful. Well, this time tomorrow I will have had my results. Really hoping for good news.
Best wishes
Jane xxx
Community Champion

Jane

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sure the ladies who have had mx will be along shortly to let you know about their experiences in relation to radiotherapy.

I had radiotherapy following surgery following WLE and SNB. From the date of the op to commencing rads was about 10 weeks, they do like to make sure that the wound has healed sufficiently.I was told by my surgeon and my oncologist that the rads was belts and braces as my bc was caught early and small, I trusted them and went ahead with it.

Helena xxx

some questions about radiotherapy

Hi ladies,

Following my mastectomy on 31st October, I get my results this Thursday. I am triple positve and was given chemotherapy before surgery. This completely resolved my 5cm invasive tumour ( they could see 2-3mm of what they thought was scar tissue on the last scan). However due to the 9cm of dcis, mastectomy was the only option. I have been given differing opinions about the need for radiotherapy from three different breast cancer surgeons about the need for post operative radiotherapy. However I actually want it because I have checked the uk guidelines and I do fall into the category of needing it- see below- and I consented to mastectomy with delayed reconstruction because of the need for radiotherapy after surgery.

I am driving myself crazy , researching papers on the likelihood of cancer free lymph nodes from the SNB ( the three ultrasounds showed no evidence of cancer in the nodes and the initial fine needle aspiration was negative too).

In the literature it states the risk of recurrence is higher if the tumour is 5cm or more, hence the need for radiotherapy. Is this the case if I have had the mastectomy though? Where would it come back? Does it mean recurrence in the same breast ( in residual breast tissue?). Would it be the same type ( triple positive)? I will have herceptin til next June, every three weeks, and medication too.

Also, the guidelines state that radiotherapy should start within 31 days ( in England). Is that likely? One of the surgeons said it would be ten weeks. I know I have to wait for healing, but I have had no post-operative complications, I have really good arm movements, little pain etc. ( Interestingly, on a different post, a lady was concerned about removing her dressings. I was told to remove my dressing after three days. I wasn't given drains. No-one has telephoned to check if the wound is looking alright. I just got a phonecall the day after surgery, when I had the dressing in place, and I told the nurse I was really traumatised and felt mutilated, and I couldn't bear to look at it. Luckily I am coming to terms with it now).

Sorry about the long post. I welcome any comments/ advice.

Jane xx