Thanks again everyone, just to keep you posted.
I'm on day 5 of the anti biotic Flucloxacillin 500mg capsules 4 x daily.
I touched base with the breast care nurse and she said this was the correct dose for wound infection.
The breast wound is settling down really nicely since the op date 21st Aug.
The underarm wound which was the one infected is healing progressively now.
Both wounds still a bit sore.
the breast has hard areas (I guess where the tumour was removed) I am told this is usual.
The under arm wound is hard near the scar tissue forming, and still a bit puffy under arm which is usual also apparently.
love to all x
Many thanks Seabreeze, for your post, help and support, its very much appreciated.
I have started the ABs and even just having taken one feeling better knowing its not going to get worse. Thank you xox
The doc from 111 called back and he said ok with paracetamol, so have started the ABs only 2 doses today because of the delay.
Thanks everyone for your help and support xox
I have to agree with Denzel and Seabreeze. GPs are under strict instructions not to dole out antibiotics unless essential. I’d start the antibiotics immediately and monitor yourself for any contraindications (the manufacturers always err on the side of caution - may cause weight gain/weight loss, may cause constipation or diarrhoea) but if you delay while there’s a diagnosed infection and your immune system is a bit compromised already by the node removal (I don't know how many were removed), the infection will be worse tomorrow - as will the pain.
Good luck x
I would not hold off starting antibiotics if there is a slight chance of infection. Ibuprofen should be fine. And a few days of paracetamol should be ok as long as you don’t have liver problems just now anyway. Ideally you could change to codeine instead. If pain is manageable in ibuprofen alone just go with that until you can get pain relief reviewed but I’d say antibiotics are essential in my opinion
Given the infection, starting antibiotics asap would be a good idea. While I'm not an expert, you've had lymph nodes removed (I presume SNB) and the lymph glands and nodes help fight infection, so I would have thought best to zap it by starting the antibiotics.
What does the info say about any interaction? How much pain do you currently have, since the other option could be to reduce the painkillers and take the antibiotics to fight the infection....which if it was me, would be my priority.
You should be able to find contact details of a chemist near you which is open via the NHS website link below:
Alternatively, if you want to ring a chemist where you can be 99.9% sure to get to speak to a pharmacist today, I'm in a city, and have previously been to this Med Chem chemist before and found them to be very good and helpful.
You can ask to speak to a pharmacist on the phone (they are usually well staffed so should pick up the phone) and talk through the possible interaction issue and any other painkillers. They are usually open till late, on the website it says till midnight even today.
If you explain your predicament and say that they were recommended by someone who had bc and has previously found them to be helpful...given its a bank holiday and your infection I'm sure they would put you onto the pharmacist for advice. Weblink:
Feel for you phoning so many numbers and people not picking up or able to give advice.
I hope that helps.
agree with you. Need to talk to bc nurse tomorrow...better to be safe than sorry.
good luck with that dam infection. Mini mad xx 💖💖 ( popped in from June chemo ) x
It being bank holiday not many open, I phoned Boots, no answer, I phoned the walk in centre, they said go back in to talk it through with a doctor, phone 111 or phone doc in the morning. So I have phoned 111, I don't feel up to going back in and to be honest lost a bit of confidence about if this is the right med for me. 111 said they would call me back for further advice once referred to specialist nurse. Specialist in what I don't know. medicines maybe, surgery or other.
I feel I should wait to speak with breast specialist nurse at hospital tomorrow now.
I don't want to take any risks, and certainly don't want to take a medicine that may not be the right one, or one that may cause me another problem.
Is there a pharmacy anywhere near you open today? A pharmacist would give you advice on what painkillers you could use along with the Fluctoxacillin.
Went to the walk in clinic this morning about the underarm wound. The doc there said slight infection and prescribed me Fluctoxacillin. Just been reading warnings and precautions - there are interactions with ibuprofen and paracetamol, so now I am in a dilemma whether I should wait another day to speak 1st with breast specialist nurses before starting the fluctoxacillin and continue with paracetamol, or stop paracetamol and start ABs
It being a bank holiday no one to contact at GP or hospital.
Not sure what to do now