Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast Cancer a second time - and a brand new primary

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Breast Cancer a second time - and a brand new primary

Hallo KitKat.

Thank you for replying. I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through, esp with the virus out there. You are very brave and I hope you are recovering well from surgery.  After my first cancer, I stopped reading about all the treatment and side effects as there was nothing I could do but carry on.  However, I am recovering now despite having lots of fluid build up where my nodes were removed and need to go to hospital twice a week to have it syringed off but then await radiation.  My left arm is not great as I have cording but I have my right arm which was operated on the first time which also does not have any nodes.  If they made lymphedema sleeves in white, I could be a walking Mummy!! I would like to stay in touch if that's OK and can private message you.  My best friend bought me a sign which I look at every day "Believe you can and you Will" so whenever I have a dark day I tell myself that over and over (then a cup of tea and big slab of cake usually helps!).  Find the positives through the negatives and rest rest rest. Take care. x

Highlighted

Re: Breast Cancer a second time - and a brand new primary

Hi Believe you can

Nice to meet you.

this is #take3 for me.

2012 I found a lump in left breast....it was a benign hfibroadonoma .... all good I thought , get it out and move on,....but the histology Results showed a 4mm area of DCIS ( stage 0 cancer) ....it was low grade and I was told no radiotherapy needed.

Fast forward to 2018....I had been discharged from annual surveillance mammograms when I got a persistent pain in left breast.  I got myself referred back to breast clinic....no lump , but once again DCIS, medium to high grade this time....as it was 34mm and I had already had surgery that side, I had a mastectomy..... this time it was ER+ so I began tamoxifen.

My Screening mammo was due April this year, but cancelled due to Covid, got phone call May to go in next day, 2 days later got recall for biopsy’s and 9 days later diagnosed with Grade 2 ER+ PR+ HERneg 12mm cancer on right breast, new primary .....I had surgery last week and now waiting on final results.

Covid just makes a bad situation worse but what can we do ....

up to now I will be having radiotherapy unless I have any grade 3 not picked up in biopsy or any in nodes ( they took sentinel nosies although they looked clear on scan).

so I definitely feel your pain but I guess life’s not fair, some people get cancer Only once but with really poor outcomes....so I’m trying to take the positives from my own Situation and keep upbeat, but it’s hard I know.   

Look after yourself

x x x

Highlighted

Breast Cancer a second time - and a brand new primary

I am trying to get in touch with anyone who had a second diagnosis of a new breast cancer.7 years ago, I was diagnosed with Occult breast cancer.  The cancer was diagnosed in my nodes on my right side but NO primary source was ever discovered despite numerous scans. It was very bizarre. I had all my nodes out, radiation to breast (although no lump was ever found) 11 rounds of chemo, and 1 year of Herceptin (Her2+). I survived, got stronger, walked, ate healthly and lived an amazing life...….until

5 years later (Oct 2019), despite having a CLEAR mammogram, upon clinical examination, a small lump was found on my LEFT breast.  Biopsy showed cancer in lump, and also one node.  I was in deep shock.  This cancer was diagnosed as TNBC - a completely new (and in my mind worse) cancer than last time.  I am still at a loss to understand how one can have 2 different types of cancers. Once my treatment was finished for my first diagnosis, I stopped worrying about it coming back after 5 years but this was pretty much spot on the 5 year mark.  I had my chemo through the Virus pandemic as well as surgery. I am waiting for that to heal before I move on to radiation.  I will not require any immunotherapy.  The isolation of having chemo alone and going into surgery without a friend to hug me or be there when I woke up was so awful, and I have had to do a lot of care myself including blood thinning injections, bone marrow injections, change dressings and deal with side effects, in isolation. 

Good news is that cancer has GONE.  Side effects from chemo were so awful I have had to blank them out of my mind but it certainly did its job.  I would like to hear from people that have had 2 different types of breast cancer on different breasts and how they have coped with it. I feel unique and angry that my body has caused this and why twice which is so unfair.  But I am also grateful that my body has fought it and poisoned it so it has gone.  I will never be able to stop thinking about it coming back in the future but that is something I will need to try and push to the back of my mind once I am through this.