Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why change format on forum?

25 REPLIES 25
Community Manager

Re: Why change format on forum?

Hi Mo,

Thanks for spotting this one, a couple of people have mentioned this and I totally agree they should be at the top, particularly now I've increased the number of visible posts per thread to 50. 

This is my current list of outstanding things to fix: 

Forum dev.JPG

If you spot any additional ones then do let me know and I'll include them.

Thanks again, 

Becca at Breast Cancer Care. 

Becca...........some awkward things certainly have improved. Signing in is working again, and posts not disappearing into the ether. However it would be nice if we could navigate the threads..........it is sometimes useful to look through old threads.........that is why they are there after all............but navigating is made very tiring because we can’t do it from the top of the page. A lot of time is spent scrolling down to the bottom! As usual these tiresome difficulties often lead to giving up, and the website becomes less popular. I don’t do Facebook, but I know that many have moved to Facebook. It would also be nice to be able to choose a specific page to go to. At the moment we can only move forwards or back one page ata time. After scrolling to the bottom every time! I think I have noticed that the thread pages are longer now........good in many ways, but further to go for changing pages!

thanks for listening. These days website usability is worth improving. BCC is so valuable, but it can always look for ways to maintain ease of use.

mo

Community Manager

Hi redridinghood, 

Sorry for the slow reply, I only cover on Tuesdays and the email from another moderator went into my junk folder, I've double checked my email rules to make sure I don't miss this again.

I just logged in as you to test this out and I do see the envelope at the top, next to your avatar and the notification icon, so I just wanted to check whether you can also see it now? If not, would you be able to send me a screenshot so I can see more clearly what might be going on?

The login issue you were experiencing has been fixed, thanks for flagging that, a few people were having the same problem so it was good of you to let me know. 

As for your avatar - everyone is assigned a brand one from our library, but you're more than welcome to change it to your own. To do this, click the avatar, select 'my profile', click 'change photo' and follow the steps. 

As for why we needed to upgrade the Forum - we were running on a very old system which was beginning to break. Additionally it wasn't possible to implement a responsive template onto the old system - that is to make it work properly for people using a mobile or tablet. Although users had come up with their own solutions to work around this, Google had warned us that we would begin to slip down the ranks if we did not upgrade and we were starting to see this happening, with far fewer resgistrations each year since the warning.

As such an important digital service, we do need to do everything we can to reach as many people as possible. Since Google is the search engine most people use, it was no longer an option not to upgrade. 

I do completely appreciate how frustrating it is when things change or no longer work the way they used to, we have tried to keep as much the same as we possibly can and are working through all the kinks as speedily as we can.

Thank you for your patience and support, do let me know how you get on with the private message envelope and whether there's anything else I can help with. 

Becca......reading my post through it is rambling, but......simply......although I am recognised.........my account details available.......’my account’........I cannot access PMs because no envelope is available. There is ‘sign in’ only at top R. When I click on that I am asked only about my password. There is still no envelope, and no opportunity to even sign out. Trapped. Logging out is difficult..........I have only found one place allowing me to log out and it takes time to find. I have to go to BCC afresh on a new tab..........It is not available in top R. Should always be at least available.

mo

Becca..........I stumbled on this thread and of course have points to make myself, many of which have interestingly been made already below. I’m not mad after all! This new format/ appearance has not improved the forum in any way that I can see, and has created new and difficult problems. The worst problem is that some are now avoiding these forums, or indeed newbies giving up. The forums are for the users.........all very grateful.........but our sharing and support is undermined by technical difficulties. One mentioned below is completely losing your carefully written post. This has happened to me.

I have had problems being signed in. The forum seems to recognise me, giving me the option to click on ‘my account’ which shows my details. However I am not signed it to access private messages or to post on the open thread without being checked as a robot, only to lose the post. There is the ‘sign in’ option in the top corner. No envelope to check PMs. Sometimes in this semi signed in state I am checked as not a robot without being tested. Sometimes I amtested. This does not make sense. My main difficulty........which often leaves me not bothering......is to sign in despite the forum seeming to recognise me..........my account details being available........as above. I am asked in the top R hand corner to ‘ sign in’.........despite access to ‘my account’, but as someone describes below when I click on sign in I am sent to a page asking if I have forgotten my password. There is no way to sign in........no access to envelope.........and I have not forgotten my password. I am not going to change it every time and it may take days or weeks to be cleared! Not going there. It also says it would send my new password to an old email address which I changed years ago. Fast mail does not exist anymore! I have updated that already long ago but been ignored twice in the past. My only way forward I have discovered is to log out completely. Not easy! I have found a page..........remote........which allows me to log out.........not on the threads. Logging should be always available anyway. I have to log out, also on a completely new computer tab, then log on from there. This is time consuming and never happened on the old format.

i think someone else has pointed out that changing the format for the sake of it, creating user problems, was risky........people will just give up. What a pity as these thread are so important for us to share and support. I agree about having the first post of a page at the bottom being so awkward. It has always been a problem. There is an American thread.......very similar........where the pages move logically from top to bottom. Makes sense, and must be possible. We have to scroll to the bottom every time. Common sense? Also it would be nice if we could choose a middle page to go to. For now you can only navigate threads from the very beginning, which is restricting if there are hundreds!

Small problem. When I returned to these threads after a break due to illness I saw my old avatar.......pink bunny........again, after it had been removed on the old format. I was happy. However this morning  I seem to have been given one of the staring faces........rather cute, childlike and blank. I hate them staring at me. Why has my bunny gone again? Why are we given no other options than staring, very young (I am 71!) childish faces. I know I could somehow upload my own personal choice, but that could take hours to work out and I was happy to choose a bunny! I notice that today everyone seems to have a tractor! 

sorry to go on, but I have only just found this opportunity to raise issues..........keeping logged in being my main issue........or in fact just signing in. It was never a problem before and is now so time consuming. I hope people don’t just give up. 

mo

Highlighted
Community Champion

No, that's not it. I thought that might be the case yesterday so tried to access the CC provate group but it said I wasn't logged in, hence the password nonsense, which is still happening. I've emailed you to ask you to remove my membership.

Community Manager

Hi Bonariensis and Optimissy64,

You're seeing that page because you're trying to login when you're already logged in, so the system wonders whether you're there because you want to update your password. 

Since you both and Anna wondered the same thing, I'll update that page to make it clearer, should be able to fit that in today! 

Community Champion

Unfortunately I've had enough of all this. I keep having  to reset my password when there is no reason for this - I haven't "forgotten my password" yet there is nowhere to put it until I "reset". 

It used to be automatic when I logged on.I don't have time for all this and it's making me angry. It wasn't broke before so  why "fix" something that has always worked well? Moderators:I would like to withdraw from the Forum  and be removed from the list of members. Also I will not be a CC any more. Before the IT changes I was glad to support others a bit here and there, but increasingly I cannot cope with these IT issues and have not felt able to offer any support for some time now. So I'm off.

Have tried posting 3 times and kept being asked to change password. Why? Shall have a rest now and try posting again this evening. 

This forum used to be so good I donated a considerable amount of money. Wouldn't do it now.

I give up Becca,

Its doing the same thing on my PC again now all posts in reverse order olders 1st,

I'm tempted to give up which  is sad

Community Manager

Thanks @Cassie86 - that's quite a workaround you did, I really appreciate the effort! 

I think that's your phone remembering the link with the /first-unread-message rule attached. If you clear your phone's browser history it should take the link without the rule attached, rather than the one currently stored in its memory.

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Anyone-due-to-start-chemo-Apri...

If you get stuck let me know what kind of phone you have and I'll email the instructions for this. 

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Anyone-due-to-start-chemo-Apri...

I hope this helps Becca, it was like doing mental arithmetic for me, the link problem is on my phone but I could not find your post to reply on my phone so copied and pasted it on my phone to an email and emailed it to my pc desktop then cut and pasted it to you.

Regarding the website problem presenting back to front oldest 1st

Thanks

Community Manager

Hi @pigeon - thanks for spotting this, yes, a few others have noticed and it's on my list to make new thread titles bold. There are a few other issues I need them to tick off first but once they're done I'll give them this one! 

Hi @Cassie86 - could you send me a link to where this is happening for you? I haven't been able to replicate it on regular threads since they made that change to fix it, though I am still having the issue in groups (e.g. the secondary private group) so it would be great to know whether you're seeing something different there. 

Hi @nicky08 - oh I hadn't noticed the change in the login prompt, thanks for flagging, I've added it to the list. Having tallied the number of spam posts before and after the robot capture, it reduces the posts a bit but not enough to be worth annoying everyone, so I've turned it off, I hope that helps. With the relative dates, a few people requested this so we turned it on but it's a good point about people participating in topics like that, the same may be true for the chemo monthly threads. I'll ask around and see which option might be best. 

Thanks as always for keeping me up to date on these issues, Lithium are being a tad slow in resolving things but I've escalated this to our account manager who's given them a nudge on outstanding problems this morning. 

Community Champion

Hi

A couple of other annoyances with the new format.  They may have already been brought to your attention Becca but I'll add them anyway.

If you are just reading the forum it seems you can add a reply without logging on/signing in. This is a pain as when you try to post, when you've finished typing, you then also tick the 'I'm not a robot' box but then your post is lost as you are not actually logged in.  Previous incarnations of the forum ALWAYS made you log in BEFORE you could post a reply.  Please rectify this as its very frustrating to type a detailed post only to lose it when you try to post it.

Also on each thread there is either a date and (very precise) time of when the thread was started such as '01-12-2017 07:10' or sometimes just something like '4 weeks ago' Can we not go back to just the date?  This is very useful especially for us ladies with secondaries who often use threads started years and years ago.  It's also more use to know the date of the last reply to a thread. Again it can either be like this: 'Latest post 9m ago by nicky08' or like this: 'Latest post a week ago by .....' or 'Latest post a month ago by....' (Having just written this I have seen some 'Latest post' info showing date and time so there's no consistency)   For this part of my observation please just go back to how it was, it worked for all of us! 

Nicky

Hello Becca,

The problem with the thread being oldest first is still an issue, its even worse on my phone when I open the thread I have to go right  to the bottom of the thread page to choose 1 then it is in the right order it just makes using the forum very clunky and not the joy it used to be. I did fiddle with my avatar edited and cropped it, it then appeared the right way up! Its all very clitchy. Thanks for trying anyway

Hi Becca

One feature that I really miss from the previous version of the forum is where threads with “unread” messages would have a bold title in the list - it made it a lot easier to see which threads I hadn’t caught up with yet.

Any chance this could be brought back?

Many thanks 😊

Community Manager

Hi @Cassie86 

Just to confirm I've chased them again about this this morning (see below). Looks like your avatar is behaving now! 

Capture.PNG

Hello Becca,

Its so annoying my new avatar is sideways and the thread is still oldest first despite the advice

Community Manager

Hi @Cassie86,

That's a giant pain isn't it, I've chased them about it today and will do again if I haven't heard back tomorrow. 

Thanks for your patience - this used to happen for me on threads I hadn't accessed for a while, but now it seems to be on all of them. That might be because it's essentially treating all content as 'new' (we took it all out and put it back in again to upgrade the underlying system).

A tip in the meantime: if you go to your profile and 'topics I've participated in' it will take you to your most recent post. 

I'll keep you updated! 

Community Champion

Thanks Becca for getting back to me, it’s nice to know you’re still working on ironing out the wrinkles!

Now all you need to do is remove the white space 😉

Nicky

I cannot get the forum to stay in order its oldest post first on my phone and PC since the upgrade sometimes there is an option to change it sometimes not but the option does not stay. I have been using the forum since April 2014 and it has been a lifeline at times, now its a pain to use, please sort it out.

Community Manager

Hi nicky08, 

Ah, thank you, sending people to the end is a bug we raised a few months ago but you're right it would definitely help to have the page numbers at the top - I'm working on a list of things for the next round of development so I've added this to it. 

Community Champion

Hi

After yet another change to the forum it seems all is not working well (again)

On my mac pc, which I use occasionally to login, it does not display the 'boxes' ie topics on the front page of the forum clearly at all.

I also hate the 'white space' which was an issue on a previous incarnation of the forum.  There is too much of it and not enough space to see and read the content.

Also on any of the 'Latest Posts' lists it does not show the date and time of the latest post or the person who posted, something I think that is useful, and was on there previously, as it lets anyone using the forum know when that latest post was and who wrote it.  Very useful if you are following and involved in a current thread.

Overall not an improvement so far.

Nicky

ps I’m editing this to add that the threads still jump to pages that are many months, if not years old when you go to them. This happened regularly on the previous version of the forum and was very irritating. However it’s worse now as there are no page numbers at the top of the thread so you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page you are on to choose the most recent page to view. Very annoying when a lot of us secondary ladies use this forum and comment on very long, olderthreads which often have 10’s if not 100’s of pages. 

Hi MysteryMouse,

Thank you for your message. We updated the Forum based on feedback so that it is easier to use on mobile and hopefully easier to navigate, however I'm sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult to use!

Is there anything in particular that you are struggling to use or find? We really value your feedback, and it will help us improve the Forum for you and for other users.

Many thanks,

Claudia

Breast Cancer Care

Why change format on forum?

Why has the format changed? 

It is now not as easy to navigate, and not clear to find or read things!

MM