cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Herceptin and Joint Pain

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: Herceptin and Joint Pain

Hi,I get tailbone pain with herceptin too,and lower left back pain constantly!!aches most places but these are the worst!scared to ask about bone scan!!

Highlighted

I also regularly experience joint pain and it’s really terrible. At first, I thought that I could bear this pain and that it would pass over time, but the pain grew stronger and I could not even get on my feet. Then I decided to act differently and use painkillers, but they only helped for a few days. Then my doctor told me about kratom. I thought it was a good idea and decided to give it a try. I bought kratom capsules products and I did not even expect the effect to be so cool. Well, if you have severe pain in bones, joints, or even chronic pain, then kratom will help you perfectly!

Highlighted

Hello! I was diagnosed on December 9 2019 from a mammogram, and had a simple mastectomy with reconstruction 4 days later. I rushed it, no doubt, but I convinced myself that I wanted the cancer cells gone! Before the surgery I only knew that since the calcifications were spread out and too near the nipple, I should have a mastectomy. That way, I thought, I would get away with not having chemo and radiation. I didn’t know then the relevance of the biopsy - which came out 6 weeks later! (Horror of horrors!) In fact I had it looked at twice by the lab of the hospital where I was operated, and at the lab of another hospital. Apparently the decision whether it was an invasive DCIS or not was too difficult to make. In the end, most agreed that the micro invasion was so small as to not warrant chemo or radiation. But opinions varied! I went with an oncologist who believed that Herceptin for a year and Letrozole for 5 would do the job. I am now 61 and feeling pretty good. I can’t tell what consequences there will be in the near or distant future, though!

I live in Greece, on an island, and since the event, I have determined to live an even better life than before.

I hope this has helped you!

Highlighted

Hi koan, 

I'm from UK. London

Im newly diagnosed 6 months ago. Plus. 

I have not started treatment due to being scared. 

Please can you tell me your story?  Where do you live?

I can not have chemo or radiation as they said it would kill me. So I can oy have herceptin and pertuznab with letrozol. What drugs did you take and did you have a tumour? If so how much did it shrink?

Preet

Highlighted

Thanks for posting! I’m on 7th dose of Herceptin and taking Vitamin C sporadically - now I’ll do it systematically, and I will add curcumin. I’d like to know what area of the world your oncologist practices in though. I’m wondering why the different protocols.

Highlighted

Hi

Onc told me I have to go on herceptin and other drugs. I told my onc can I take supplements he said yes. 

So I will also be taking turmeric and Vit d and vitamin c.  

Im not prepared to rely on the drugs. Must take supplements. 

Highlighted

Hi pinkk sister 

I have been told to have herceptin but after reading your pain in joints I'm scared.. 

Please can someone put light on this subject. Is there pain due to herceptin or chemo?

Highlighted
Community Champion

If you get aches and pains take claritin hay fever pills and they are greatly reduced.

Highlighted

Hello! I have just had the first dose of Herceptin. The doctor told me there would be hardly any noticeable side effects, but I would like to take antioxidants and curcumin and vitamin C. The doctor is strongly opposed. Do you have any knowledge or advice on supplements or nutrition to minimize the bad stuff? Thank you!

Highlighted

According to me, don't take more medicines or any other high dose tablets for joint pain or knee pain. My mother was suffering eight years from knee pain. She got the ayurvedic treatment and using Ayurvedic pain killer oil, last 7 months. She can quickly get up, walk, and don't complain about pain. Ayurvedic treatment gives you long term effect.

Highlighted

I am almost at the end of my course of 18 Herceptin and am finding it has a cumulative effect on joints, mine are now very stiff and some, especially my hips are a bit sore too. I am gradually seizing up, it takes a bit to get moving in the morning or if I sit for too long but once I'm moving it's OK. 

Highlighted

Hi

my Mom went through 18 months of treatment for her2 positive breast cancer.. she has had all treatments. Can you tell me if the herceptin and cancer tablets can cause tail bone pain ? My mom had the results from her breast scan last week.. all clear thank god. Then I tell the doctor Mom has pain in bottom of her back. So now they are sending her for a bone scan to make sure all ok, I’m worrying so much.. so scared. Can anyone tell me if they also get pains my mom is 68 

Highlighted

I 'm about half way through Herceptin which I started with Taxol (my second chemo) and I the arthritis in my knees has become much worse. I'd put it down to the Taxol as I had lots of other problems with this but now I'm wondering whether it's actually the Herceptin. I've got an appointment for x rays of my knees this week to see whether any actual damage has been done.

Highlighted

Glad you feel better Ali and hope your pain improves too. Xx
Highlighted

Thanks Chaffinch. I am taking a monthsbreak from Letrozole as my shoulders are so bad and i have felt so very down. I am a person who can always give myself a taking to and pick myself up but for weeks now i havent been able to do that. After 7 days off i didnt think it was making a difference but yesterday and today i felt like a huge cloud has been lifted and ive felt like me again!! My shoulders are still sore and painful but i will see if they improve too! I know i will have to take some hormone blocker though xx
Highlighted

Not me sorry Ali, I’ve been on Anastrazole from the start, it seems far less commonly used than letrazole. I asked my onc why and she said it was just choice by each oncology centre and anastrazole was their drug of choice.
I think my trigger finger and sore finger and thumb joints are largely down to anastrazole but it’s a weak spot for me because I come from an arthritic family
Highlighted

Chaffinch did you start on letrozole and change to anastrozole or am i getting m8xed up? Xx
Highlighted

I’m sure it’s my anastrazole that causes most of my joint pain but the Herceptin certainly doesn’t help. It has got steadily worse. Like you I just keep moving and do quite a few stretches to try to keep everything moving. I’ve had 12/18. My shoulders hurt too Ali but I’ve had issues for years with my left one, too much hauling little kids around and I come from a family with upper back issues.
Hope you find something that helps PinkSister.and that things improve after Herceptin xx
Highlighted

Hi pinksister, i have had 14 herceptin with 14 to go! I have also been taking letrozole since April. I have stiff joints which get better when i walk. I am suffering with terrible shoulder pain since August, and a bone scan has shown i have arthritis in both shoulders! I am 51 and never had this before treatment. I am convinced it is tne letrozole! I will see if things improve after i finish herceptin in December xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello, I had chemo plus 18 injections of Herceptin.

You should take Claritin hay fever tablets for the aches:

http://myangrycancer.blogspot.com/2013/02/claritin-is-worth-its-weight-in-gold.html

I took 2 a day one in the morning and another at about 9.30 or 10 at night in case I could not sleep.

I put on a lot of weight with chemo and Herceptin but it comes off easily one you stop.

Make sure to take Vitamin D 3 as well.

It does all get better in the end xxx

Highlighted

Herceptin and Joint Pain

Hi all

I have read lots of posts on Herceptin but am trying to narrow down the cause of this joint pain.

I had 4 x FEC and tail end of last yeat beginning of this, all ok, 2 x lumpectomies, radiotherapy, I had herceptin originally with the FEC then sub cut, I have had 15 of 18 finish in December.  I am also on Letrozole, my joint pain started not long after starting Letrozole coincidence or not?  They took me off it for 8 weeks to see if it was that but no improvement.  I am now starting to think it could be the Herceptin or lasting effects of chemo or rads.

Anyway I am looking for ladies that might have completed Herceptin, does the pain subside at all.  Some days the pain in my hips is unbareable also in my hands and knees, I am exercising, taking fish oil and turmeric and use Jones for bones as someone else recommended it.

Just want to know if there is light at the end of the tunnel, or is this my life now 😞