Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kadcyla Query

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Kadcyla Query

Thank you so much. I am a bit better today I think. Too early to tell! Xx

I sometimes feel a bit tired the day after but typically I’ve been ok. My first cycle was during radiotherapy so that was more tiring

Hope you’re doing ok x

Hi Hayley, I had my first Kadcyla on Tuesday and am absolutely exhausted today. Did you have this at all and if so how many days did it last? Really hoping it goes soon! Thank you. Xx

Hi Nancy.

hope the chemo is effective and you don’t need the Kadcyla but if you do, in my experience so far, it’s been fine. Quick to administer and pretty much no side effects so all good ☺️

hayley 

I’m marking the spot here as I have a HER2 positive Breast tumour and node and am almost through chemo. My oncologist has written that if I get a complete response to the chemo I will just carry on with Herceptin but if there is anything left on the repeat scans I will get Kadycla. It’s nearly $10000 a shot in the USA! 
obviously I hope I don’t need it but god bless NICE and the NHS for approving it for treatment.
N B

How are you going with Kadcyla, ThomasChix?

(or anyone having it for primary BC for that matter!)

hi silvertong

(copying And re-posting this from the secondary bc thread!)

Wow, did you have radio and kadcyla on the same day?! That sounds hard core! I was thinking they’d just bump my kadcyla back a couple of days to accommodate the radiotherapy but maybe not! 

I’m pretty pasty white so I try and keep out of the sun anyway but will put some factor 50 on the shopping list 🤣

Blood tests are required (presumably because of the chemo element) but not filgrastim injections (presumably because of the targeting element?)

The list of side effects they have to give you looks to be absolutely everything and is terrifying but of course a) you are unlikely to get most of them and b) they will adjust dosage or stop altogether if you suffer too much. Just tell your team.

It wasn’t appropriate for my situation - my cancer is not advanced and I wasn’t in the situation where pre-surgery chemo had failed to clear all the cancer. I actually sought a second opinion, to be sure, but the outcome of that verified that Herceptin-only was the better route for me (I cannot have Paclitaxel chemo due to contraindications with another drug I take).

I would have no hesitation having Kadcyla if (heaven forbid) the cancer comes back. It is a clever drug.

Rosie

Thanks Rosie, that sounds similar to what I’ve read. I’m curious as to how similar it is to the chemotherapy I already revived in terms of blood tests, side effects, need for filgrastim injections etc....all things I can ask consultant when I speak to him

do you mind me asking why you didn’t have kadcyla in the end? (Assuming you didn’t from your post)

h

Kadcyla was an option for me so I did some research into it. As I understand it (and medical people - please correct me if I am wrong!), Kadcyla is Herceptin with a small amount of a chemo called Emtansine in it. The Herceptin targets the HER2 protein on the surface of the cancer cell, then ‘injects’ the Emtansine into the cell to kill it off. My understanding was that hair loss is less likely, but you could have some hair thinning. 

Sending best wishes,

Rosie

Kadcyla Query

Hi all

hoping someone can help with a query. I am currently on a 3 weekly herceptin (trastuzamab) and pertuzamab regime for primary her 2+ breast cancer having had 6 cycles of FEC-T and a single mastectomy with anxcillary node clearance. Following mastectomy there is talk of changing the herceptin/pertuzamab to Kadcyla but I am due to see oncologist in next couple of weeks to talk in more detail.

just wondering if anyone else if receiving kadcyla for primary breast cancer and if so whether this drug is actually a chemotherapy (I was hoping I’d seen the back of chemo!) and whether blood tests are needed before each treatment cycle? Any information on side effects also appreciated.....in particular hair loss because there is no chance of be cold capping again!!!!!

thanks in advance for any info

hayley x