Scared of starting Herceptin

<Empty imported post>

Anything over 50% is considered to be normal, I believe.

“The left ventricle is the heart’s main pumping chamber that pumps oxygenated blood through the ascending (upward) aorta to the rest of the body, so  ejection fraction  is usually measured only in the left ventricle (LV). An LV  ejection fraction of 55 percent or higher is considered  normal.”

mayoclinic.org/ejection-fraction/expert-answers/faq-20058286

Kathyx - thanks for the link. Unfortunately it states that 50% is considered ‘reduced’ not normal?

Hi Bay, I’m sorry you’re feeling so scared and I hope I can reassure you that all will be OK.  I went through 3 lots of EC, followed by 4 lots of Herceptin, Pertuzamab and Docetaxol throughout 2017.  My initial heart scan showed a healthy heart for a 49 year old.  Unfortunately after several lots of treatment my heart started to react and at it’s lowest reading of 54% I was put on Ramipril.   

I had chemo first, followed by a mx and radiotherapy followed by a continued 12 months of Herceptin injections.  I was delighted after surgery to discover all the cancer in my breast and lymph node had gone - absolutely no signs of it left at all.  This, I believe, was mainly due to the targetted therapy ie Herceptin and Pertzumab. 

So here I am today almost coming up to 2 years since initial diagnosis - leading a new “normal” life.  I do still have to take 5mg of Ramipril a day as well as Thyroxine every day as my thyroid system was affected by treatment - but I’m here, I’m alive and everyday I thank the medics and research teams who discovered these amazing drugs and have enabled me to continue being here.

The oncologist’s know what they’re doing - please put your faith in them.  You must also tell them of any problems/side effects you are having following each treatment - they can help you.  I will add, for me personally the Docetaxol chemo was harder than the EC and if at any time you wish to ask me a question or require some reassurance please contact me.  If you go to the May 2017 Chemo Starter group in this forum you will find some fantastic tips on coping with the side effects.  

Good luck my lovely and hope I have helped in some small way of reassuring you and hope all goes well for Wednesday - I will warn you, it will be a long day at the hospital - they keep you under survelliance for some time following your first lots of treatment under this new regime.  x

Hello bay

I have been taking Ramipril since the beginning of Herceptin as I was ‘borderline’ .I have been at 50% since I started but it hasn’t gone down at all. I have just had number 12 and my heart is still going strong although I am 75 !  Try not to worry. Your Oncologist has your best interests at heart and you will be having regular echocardiograms.

I’ve had 2 echo cardiograms in the last 6 months and I’m about to book my 3rd. I know there weren’t any problems but I don’t remember seeing any percerntage figure on my results. What’s it likely to come under on the report?

<Empty imported post>

Hi Bay, I hope you find a way to have the herceptin. I had number 15 last week my echo results started at 59 and have stayed around that level all through my blood pressure was high normal and is now normal. I read somewhere that very high cocoa chocolate is good for BP and heart function and both have improved since I have been eating some 85-100% chocolate daily only a square or so.
There are side effects but it is a great drug and us HER2 ladies are lucky to have it. It’s quite likely that you may only need 6 months there is a body of opinion and some positive trials that suggest that this duration is just as effective as the 12 months. Wishing you luck with your treatment.
You don’t say how old you are and how fit. Keeping as active as you can definitely helps with side effects of chemotherapy and herceptin x

<Empty imported post>

Another tip for the blood count is Manuka honey. My bloods were very borderline after first chemo but I then had a tsp of Manuka morning and night after that and my bloods were ok. There is slot of evidence that it can support your immune system and it certainly seems to have worked for me. Again wishing you well with treatment, I’m so grateful for the access to Herceptin and I’m hoping to get back to normal when I’m done in February but still glad to have been able to have it. I can remember all of the campaigns to make it available on the NHS

I had 18 cycles herceptn in 2011 and am  on Heception (for 2 years in every 3 weeks) 

did and am doing so far very well with Herceptin. Neither side effect nor reaction. 

ps.  (1) I am still not quite outstanding the first time I had muga scan regularly. Ths time no follow up muga scan  though my onco said so before starting treatment.

(2) had heart scan before my second time treatment,… strong heart

(3) just to share, in 2011 had heart scan before kicking out cycle 2 and on the morning in the chemo unit for my 2nd cycle, the IV needle was already in, the nurse suddenly received call from my onco saying that ths cycle had to be postponded. Later, my oncol told me my heart function dropped to 46% after cycle 1 (48%,if rememer correctly, is the minimal acceptable % to continue . I was still young (43 years old) . He didn’t want to fix me afterwards. He did change one of the chemo drug (not herceptin) but forgot what is it…Mel Mel