Chemo Survival Kit - suggestions needed!

Hello all, 

Newbie here :slight_smile: In less than 2 weeks, my sister will be starting chemotherapy (4 cycles over 18 weeks) for breast cancer.

She’s the first in the family to have chemo so while we’re entirely positive, we’re new to it all!

I’ve been spending some time looking through the forums here as well as on the Macmillan website, putting together a list of things I can put into a ‘Chemo Survival Pack’ - so far I’ve got things like a water bottle to stay hydrated (keeps the veins plush apparently), boiled sweets to counteract any metal taste, a child’s toothbrush for sensitive gums and a thermometer (I’m told this is an essential!)

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things that could go in there?

Ultimately, the idea is to give her a box of things she may well think are a bit odd but will be massively grateful for somewhere down the line! 

Of course, we can’t prepare for everything and there are a lot of unknowns but I’m the organised one in the family so here I am haha. 

All your suggestions will be warmly welcomed :slight_smile:

Peace out and all the best, 

YorkshireLass87 

x

A lovely thought. :slight_smile:

My list would include ginger biscuits, ginger fudge, eye wipes for sensitive eyes, packet of polo’s, eye mask in order to block the daylight when snoozing in the day, factor 50 sunblock, a house plant or flowers to bring the outdoors indoors when snoozing, diprobase cream for any rashes, peppermint essential oil to sniff if there is any nausea, audio books as reading may be too tiring, miso soup (very nutritious although can be high in salt) honey and maple syrup in order to get some nutrients with the sweetness, Epsom sea salts for a detox bath, a selection of cordials/herbal teas, jelly beans, a bar or box of yummy chocolates.

If cold capping, some socks, gloves and shawl or blanket in case she gets cold. Gloves are also good to wear on the way to chemo as they will help keep hands warm which helps bring the veins nearer the surface.

Some nail strengthener, as chemo can make your nails brittle, a nail file to keep nails short so they don’t break off, and a dark nail polish as chemo can make nails darken.

Little positive messages, one for each cycle letting her know you all still love her, the whole bc and chemo stuff can take a toll on your mental health. Some inspirational quotes, if she likes that sort of thing and some rubbish jokes - spirits need to be lifted.

A  wad of cheques she can cash in when she needs, like help with gardening, washing, hoovering, pamper sessions etc.

Most of all the best thing is to be there for her, especially when she’s having a bad day.

Oh yes nearly forgot some headgear for if/when she loses her hair, some people find this extremely difficult to cope with, there’s lots of lovely scarves out there and you can have fun watching youtube videos on how to tie them. I’ve got hats, scarves, bucket hats, big sun hats (needed even if she doesn’t lose her hair) and wigs, I use them all.

A wide toothed comb, if she would be wearing a wig then some wig shampoo and conditioner.

I’m sure lots of others will add to the list - it’s going to be a big box:smileyhappy:

Best of luck to your sister, she’s a lucky lady having people like you to support her through her impending tough journey.

Joemic x

Have a look at the treatment bag website, I was sent one by my husband, everything was individually wrapped and the level of donation was up to the person ordering it.

treatmentbag.co.uk/

Cancer support UK also send out free bags for chemo as well, I was lucky enough to receive one of these as well

cancersupportuk.org/cancer-kits

This is lovely idea, you are thoughtful. Just to add to the list, I find a soft scarf around my neck is essential. My hair is all gone, the chemo hats are great but my neck still gets chilly and makes me very cold. Good luck, im very fortunate to have a big support network and that has been the most beneficial thing in my ability to cope with the chemo. 

Maybe she will need some low chemical shampoo and conditioner such as simple make. maybe corsydol for mouth ulcers some nice scarves in case of hair loss .

What a lovely sister ?. Have you included chemical free toiletries? No parabans or sulphites as her skin will be so sensitive. Manuka honey 15+ for daily intake to prevent sores and ulcers and promote general good health. A bamboo sleep cap for when / if hair comes out. I would also recommend Aveeno body and hand cream as I was given this in hospital , and it absorbs very easily and can be even be used during radiotherapy. Lavender night spray for the pillow to help with sleep. Books of simple word searches and a pencil .

Larger items which will help on the journey, has she got a towelling bath robe for those days when it’s a bit tiring to use a towel after showering? Cotton underwear and pj’s as the body seems to sweat with the chemo, and man made fibres don’t help. Sending good wishes for safe and successful treatment, ??x