Chemo with a toddler?

Hi, has anyone on here been through Chemo as a single parent with a toddler? I could do with some practical tips and/or moral support.

I started on weekly Paclitaxel, which I reacted to badly, so have been started on Abraxane. I had this weekly for 2 weeks and due to no reactions have just been changed to a 3weekly dose. The last two weeks I haven’t had many side effects, which is good considering my parents (and main childcare support) had tested positive for Covid so I was on my own. Since the last higher dose I have felt dreadful with nausea, muscle cramps, joint aches, extreme fatigue and absolutely no tolerance for anything. My daughter is only 3 and struggling to comprehend why I’m so poorly and out of character.

Any tips on how to deal with the effects of Chemo whilst looking after a toddler, if anyone has any, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

That sounds so so tough. I went through chemo with a 3 year old and a 6 month old last year. I’m not a single parent but my husband works long hours - not the same thing at all but I was on my own with the children a lot. My 3 year old was at nursery 4 short days a week and I would have really struggled without that. Is your daughter at nursery/childminder? If not is that an option, just to give you some respite? When she was with me we watched an awful lot of TV and she ate a lot of biscuits and pizza. I have zero shame in that, you have to do what you can to cope! My logic was she’s so tiny as long as she’s happy it’s fine. All things being well it’s such a short space of time in the grand scheme of things and she won’t remember.  We told her mummy has a sore boobie and is having medicine to fix it and that’s why I was tired. To be honest that’s all we needed to say. I know some people use books but we didn’t have to.

My 6 month old was with me all the time but 6 month old are easier than toddlers! 

As for chemo tips, take all the antisickness drugs whether you feel sick or not, much better to be preventative. Tell your team about any symptom as they usually have something they can give you. 

Feel free to send me a message if it would help x

Hi Millie

I am also a single parent to a three year old. I had a double mastectomy seven weeks ago and started chemo on tuesday (4x EC and 4x taxol, fortnightly). I’m worried about the impact on my son too. I’m not sure what to do, other than take each day as it comes. I’ve got a nice group of nursery friends around me - he attends five days a week. I’m also worried he’s going to bring bugs home

On the brighter side, I also think he’ll get me through this ordeal with his hugs and kisses. Sending love and good vibes to you.