I think they will only do an oncotype test if you are node negative. Conversely, if you are node positive chemo is normally recommended. Interesting that your onc thinks you are borderline - maybe the tumour in your sentinal node was very small and/or your tumour is low grade? I think this is a decision you will need to take in consultation with your oncologist. Ask for some statistics on what extra survival benefit chemo might give in your case. I just wanted to say - as someone who has had chemo - that there is no need to be terrified. It isn’t something to volunteer for obviously, but it isn’t that bad either. They have a lot of medications now to relieve side effects. It just made me feel jet lagged/hungover which is not great but you can cope with it. I carried on doing most things throughout, including using busy public transport, shopping, theatre, dining out etc. I worked part-time. My hair fell out, but has grown back quickly. So ladies, if chemo is recommended for you please don’t worry too much - you will be fine.
Have had recent surgery and am awaiting the results of my Onco DX test. The say if I score low then chemo would not be of benefit. If I score high then chemo may help prevent reoccurance. It’s nice to think that treatments will be more individually tailored to me and that I have some say in the process. Fingers crossed mine comes back low as the thought of chemo terrifies me.
Have you been offered the oncotype DX test? I was in a similar position last August when the tumour I had turned out to be much larger than originally estimated. The test helps with your decision making, as it looks at the net benefit or risk of chemo based on the biology of your actual tumour.
Hi Rosiea, I had read your post but was unsure about replying because my diagnosis, although oestrogen positive, is different to yours...I was dx straight to stage 4, so haven’t had surgery or radiotherapy and I’m just on Letrozole and Denosumab, but do understand your reservations about chemotherapy. When I started taking Letrozole I asked my Onc how long I could expect it to work with my diagnosis, while said everyone is different did say around 2-3 years, and I’m approaching the upper figure now. My scans have been NED but appreciate this could so easily change, then a decision would have to be made, and while I don’t think you probably know until faced with making it, I do know it isn’t something I would automatically say yes to. Sorry I can’t be of more help, Kate x
Sorry that you havent had a reply yet, it may be that you would be better in the Chemotherapy area of the Forum.
Digital Community Officer
Hello , I’m new to this forum. My cancer is oestrogen receptive.Started letrizole Mar 17 to shrink tumour before surgery. Had wide local excision in Jan this year. It had spread to sentinel lymph node so had axillary node clearance 4 was ago.
had a few complications but getting to grips with it now hopefully.
however it seems I am borderline for chemo . My decision.or whether to just have radiotherapy as bisphosphonates and carry on with Letrazole.
has anyone else had to make this decision and if so how do they feel about it.