Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cycle 1

9 REPLIES 9
Corina

Re: Cycle 1

Hi Tcook87

So sorry to hear about your experience with first cycle. Did they give you anti sickness meds before the treatment? What is your chemo drug? Mine is EC. 
Maybe like you said your reaction was related to the anxiety but the meds before and after help. Like you I felt quite rough when I got home I had to take one mild anti sickness tablet but for the following days I was more tired with no energy and appetite. 
You need to drink lots of water and eat fruits and veg, you will feel better on week 2 and 3.
Hope you feel better soon. Take care 💕

Tcook87

Hi there I had my first cycle on the 5th August felt fine until that night I couldn't sleep only got 4 hours the next day I felt very tired no energy sickness and up set stomach. Later that evening I went to hospital as I felt really bad heart pollutions and shortness of breath. All was good in the end I was sent home they said it was normal I think I was just having a panic attack. I'm know on day 7 and I still feel tired no energy and my mouth is very dry sore. I hope i don't feel like this everytime I have treatment. It seems that everyone experience is different. We just need to tell are self we've got this. 

Take care 

Tcook87

Corina

Thank you for your message, it's so helpful to hear all of this from someone who's going through the treatment (which makes most people here really). I had heard about the steroid but wasn't sure what it was for, I'm glad you explained here. I wonder if that has any side effects on its won. Re hair loss, I've heard that shaving the head might have its own downfalls in regards to hair folicles. Is that correct?

I had my 2nd opinion about the treatment yesterday and the oncologist told me pretty much everything my own oncologist had said. I think it's the wise choice to have the chemo, I mean I don't have any options do I?

I'm going for my follow up to potentially consent to the treatment. I think I will also go for the portal but by the sounds of it, that comes with its own problems.

I hope you feel better as you go through your treatment. Please keep us posted with the progress x

By the way, the hug button doesn't seem to work for me so here's a virtual hug 🙂

boxerclaire

Hi

sorry, I’ve just realised I’ve rambled on and missed a couple of your questions!

Yes, I have a Picc line for the treatment. It’s much kinder than being cannulated each time. It comes with risks so it has to be kept clean and covered and needs weekly flushes and dressing changes but I quite like going and seeing the team each week. 
I’m on 3 weekly cycles and having a total of 6 😊

c x 

boxerclaire

1381F5A6-5CDE-49A7-B5D5-0E230F2FAE08.jpeg

 I wish I’d had this book from diagnosis! If you have a spare £10 I’d highly recommend it. I purchased it off Amazon. X

boxerclaire

Hi Corina

i had so many questions and preconceptions before my first cycle and it was pretty uneventful!

I think it was fear of the unknown. I’d had visions of me being sick all over the unit and being generally groggy when in all reality other than feeling a bit overwhelmed it was all fine. 
I had a whopper of a dose of steroids (12mgs Dexamethasone) and a anti sickness an hour before chemo. These definitely help you through the first 48 hours. I genuinely felt fine. 

I had a box of sickness tablets to take home where I could take up to 3 per day. I took one each morning and wore sickness bands. (The nausea was more like a motion sickness).

My main issue was constipation. My chemo was on a Friday and I was pretty uncomfortable by the Tuesday so I ordered some bysocodyl off Amazon and just took one per night for a couple of nights that worked perfectly. 
Im having my second cycle today and will start the bisocodyl on Sunday as a precaution. 

The side effects of the chemo hit me on the Monday (day 3). I felt pretty rubbish and just wanted to sleep, so thats exactly what I did. Probably for about 18- 20 hours for a couple of days. But then each day I felt a bit better. 
By day 12 the symptoms had gone and I felt ok, aside from being ready for bed by about 7pm lol

i think I was so worked up ahead of my first cycle, I didn’t sleep and was so distracted from day to day stuff. The chemo nurse asked me if a wanted a cuppa before she connected it. I said ‘am I going to throw it up everywhere’ and she laughed and said ‘I bloomin hope not!’ lol. I was absolutely fine. 

I had long fine and curly hair ahead of this. I cut it short to about jaw length on day 14 as I was clinging on to ‘it might not effect me’ but on day 17-18 it started coming out. 
I actually thought bugger it yesterday and my hairdresser very kindly shaved it me. 
It was inevitable and shaving it was within my power (as not a lot else is lol) and it felt amazing. 

Message anytime. I’m sure everyone has a slight variation during treatment but if someone had told me beforehand that the actually chemo day wasn’t at all bad my journey would have been so much better 

x

Corina

Hi Boxerclaire

I'm sorry to hear you're starting to feel the full effect of your treatment. I read your post with interest because I have also been told that I'm getting EC for duration of 9 weeks so one injection every three weeks. Is yours the same?

If you don't mind, can you explain how the first day went? Did you feel anything while you were being given the drug? Have you had the port? I'm told that's what I'm going to get instead of normal injection through arm.

When you are able, please keep sharing your experience. I'm absolutely terrified of chemo 😞

Thanks

Cumbrian Lady

it is better not to promise yourself too much. None of us know how chemo is going to affect us. I was one of the luckier ones, it wiped me out physically and I had joint pain but no other serious side effects.
You have to be kind to yourself and make all the allowances needed there is NO right or wrong with this treatment just go with what your body tells you.
It was said to me that the first couple of sessions are the gentlest as the drugs build up in your system - so drink plenty of water to flush them out by stage 3 I was feeling the strain more - come the last few days before the next session my energy levels got better, then off you go again for the next round and back to square one.

You will get there just do not expect too much and sleep, eat, do whatever when your body allows you. Try to fight it you will make yourself feel a lot worse, plus it sort of brings you down when you realise you cannot do the things you thought you could.

The one bonus was one of the chemo nurses telling me (eat as much ice cream as you want, if that is all you can face)😁

Best of Luck

Poppy xx

Jaybro

Hi boxerclaire

My heart goes out to you - I remember it well! There are no clear rules - we all react differently. Personally, after my first EC, I thought WOW. I had five days of amazing energy and felt better than I had in ages. Then the steroids stopped and I was slammed down into fatigue which made me feel one of Harry Potter’s Dementors was having a go at me. After that, various side effects sneaked in and that was that. Mouth ulcers, food tasting like soap, loss of appetite, weight loss...I was so sure I would be one who would carry on driving, doing my tai chi etc. Then I had a car accident because I was more woolly headed than I thought and that was that, It was months before I got my independence back. BUT I’ve known many on here who’ve even carried on working so obviously we’re all different.

Don’t worry about letting this dictate to you. It’s worth losing that sense of control if the outcome is good health. And is it loss of control or is it a positive choice to hand over one aspect of you to the oncologists to cure your cancer? 

Hoping you don’t join the Dementored and that fatigue is short-lived.

Jan x

boxerclaire

Cycle 1

Hey 👋 

I started my first cycle of epirubicin and cyclophosphamide on Friday (11th June)

Friday and Saturday went fine and quite unremarkable. As for Sunday and today…wow. I feel like I’ve either partied too hard or been hit by a bus!

Please tell me this phase passes after a couple of days… I’d promised myself I wasn’t going to let this dictate to me 🤦🏻‍♀️😂