Gel/OPI nails for general anaesthetic and SNB

Hey ladies, if any of you are out there and can give a quick reply before 11.30am today.

I’ve have worn gel nail polish/OPI on my fingernails for the last 4 years Have the polish removed, nails manicured and treated and gel/OPI polish re-applied every 3 weeks. Note: it is gel nail polish/OPI, not acrylics, and applied by a professional manicurist but UV light is used to “dry” them.

I am not having chemo nor RT but am having a GA for an SNB next Thursday.

I having my latest manicure - with removal of current gel polish and application of new - today - hence the “urgency”.

Would love to get some idea if it’s ok to have the new gel polish applied or just have the current removed and have bare nails for a while. My BCN did think it was ok for a GA and SNB, my manicurist has a lot of clients with varying forms of cancer and treatment so will ask her but good to know in advance if there’s any advice I should have bare nails for GA/SNB.

Any quick answers very very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane.

I’m pretty sure you’re asked to  remove nail polish because they put a clip probe on your finger that monitors your blood oxygen level and it doesn’t work through polish.

Hi Jane, sorry only just seen this post but yes you will need to have your gels removed for surgery, I always have mine done and my girl came around the day after surgery to do them again! Xx 

Thanks for the info, erred on the side of caution and had the current gel removed and nails fully manicured and cuticled. Until I know that all ops are over I will just use traditional nail polish and remove it before all ops.

Thanks.