Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genetic Testing

12 REPLIES 12
LouJP

Re: Genetic Testing

Hi

I was triple negative and my surgeon insisted I had it done which I did and it was clear.

It was a telephone interview, quite extensive, and a specific blood test.

I am not 100% certain how it works.

I would say however be prepared to make decisions if it does come back positive.

keep us posted x

RenZen

Hi everyone 

Do you know who is eligible for this testing? Only triple negative or all? Is it done by onco or gp?

Mine was hormone positive, her2 negative ( most common) and I would like to have it done.

LouJP

They quoted 2 months and I think it was half that so fingers crossed same for you and good news too xx

ELLEGEE77

Great news and as you say one less thing to think about. How are you? 

The results came back quick, I had mine last week and she said its usually 12 weeks, but could get a call in 6 as people aren't using hispitals etc as much due to Covid.

Xxxxx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

👍great news Loujp ❤️ 💕💕Shi xx

LouJP

HI

Just to let you know I had the call today to say I am negative - no genes tested were found to have anything.

Like you think wasn't expecting anything else - cancer in the family but not BC but still a relief and one less thing to worry about.

Just the lingering side effects to get rid of now.

xx

LouJP

I hope you get the test.

My bloods are done so now the 2 month wait.

xx

ELLEGEE77

I had triple negative BC when I was 29, today officially diagnosed with another primary in the other boob at 43. I'm now eligible for testing, I asked for it when I was 29 but couldn't have it back then. 

I want to know as I have 2 younger sisters and a daughter (she's only 8). Waiting for the familial genetic unit to get in touch. Xx

bookish

Oh, sorry - thought I'd said: it was negative. I hadn't really expected anything else given the lack of family history of cancers, tbh, so it felt more like a formality.

LouJP

Thank you

Tuesday I will have the blood test.

I am ok but yes agree got to put mind at rest.

Can I ask what your outcome was?

xx

bookish

Hi LouJP

Yes, I had the genetic tests done following my own triple-neg diagnosis in February. They took blood and I signed a consent form. A little later I received a call from a genetic counsellor, to talk through the implications of what a positive test might mean for me.  

It can be a worrying time, wondering about all the 'what ifs', but in my case I thought finding out would set my mind at rest, one way or another. Try not to overthink it: the result comes soon enough, and there's nothing you can do, really, in the meantime. Wishing you well xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Loujp, They just took blood and tested for BRCA1 and BRCA2 with me but I think others on here were tested for those and other genes too, if no one pops on please use the ask the nurse facility for more info on what other than BRCA1 and BRCA2 they might test for. For me I wanted to know because it gives you options if you do have the gene and useful for family to know if there is a faulty gene. Mine came back negative. Sending ❤️Let us know how you get on and do what you want to do it’s your journey ❤️💕💕Shi xx

LouJP

Genetic Testing

Hi

Has anyone undergone genetic testing following Triple Negative diagnosis and treatment.

I have been referred by my surgeon, I have undergone the initial screening interview and am awaiting the blood test and consent form.

Feel I need to do it but wondered if anyone else has gone through the experience.

Thank you

x