HB Blood Levels

Hello

I just wanted to ask about my HB blood level.  It is now at 85, but I just had my last cycle of chemo (120mh docetaxel/270mg carboplatin) plus phesgo.

The oncologist has given me extra meds:  B12 injection on day of chemo, plus folate tablet (400 miso gram 1 a day) and magnesium powder daily.  He also gave me B6 tablets (pyridoxine 50mg 3 a day), but this I think is for my peripheral nuropathy and not iron.

I really just wanted to check what to look out for, and if I am likely to need hospital treatment.  I think HB has to go below 60 to be a real problem, so I am assuming as this is my last cycle I will be fine.  I do trust my Oncologist, I just wanted to know what to look out for as I forgot to ask.  During cycle 5 I ate foods rich in iron (where I could as my appetite is not good (meat, poultry, dried apricots, spinach and green veg, and cheese, and also cereals with added B12).  My HB was 86 at the beginning of cycle 5, so it did not drop too much, being 84 at beginning of cycle 6.  I am thinking if I can try and achieve the same this time I will be fine.  Only difference this time is the introduction of B6 - 50mg 3 times a day.  I am assuming this will not interfere.  My total WBC is 5.6, my neut 3.92, which I took as good (it has gone up), Platelets 241 (also gone up), and then HB: 84.  I just thought this info might help you to answer.  Also, should I rest more?  I go for walks most days as I know it helps with chemo side effects.  Should I also take naps more and just rest up and read.  Thanks so much!

Kathryn x

[** Phone number has been deleted from public forum]

Hi @k_123  

I wonder if it may help to speak to one of our breast care nurses. You can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000. The helpline will be shut on Monday due to the bank holiday. Our team will be available again from 9am on Tuesday.

If you prefer to ask our nurses in writing, you can use these boards on our forum: forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Ask-our-Nurses-your-questions/ct-p/Asknurses

Bernard