Hair loss

Hi everyone,

I’m just after a bit of advice on how best to help my Mam. She is currently half way through her chemo and has lost her hair. My Mam has always had big, blonde, beautiful hair and is finding it difficult dealing with the hair loss. She has a few gorgeous wigs, one of which is so like her own hair which helps her massively with her confidence. However, she only finds comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time before it becomes too hot and irritating. She was really hoping to go on holiday in April when all of her treatment should be finished, but is upsetting herself about wearing a wig in the heat. Can anyone recommend anything that can help? Ways to make things cooler/ best type of wigs etc. 

She also feels she needs to wear it all the time when she is around her 3 year old granddaughter, as she is too young to understand. Does anyone have any tips for introducing wearing a headscarf in front of a young child for the first time without upsetting/ confusing them? 

Thanks so much xx

Hi, I also had this dilemma. I’ve just finished my last chemo with surgery in 2 weeks. I lost my hair very quick and found it very distressing, it is now starting to come in ‘fluffy’ I initially wore my wig but found it equally distressing and uncomfortable so gave up and just wear a lovely selection of short scarfs and bandanas. I have 4 grandchildren aged 5-1 and the two oldest 5 & 3 asked me only once the first time they say me ‘why are you wearing that’ We told them because I sometimes have a sore head and the scarf helps and it’s pretty colours. 4 months later and they’ve never mentioned it since. Children just seem to accept things. I really hope your mam feels comfortable whatever she decides to wear, that’s the important thing. 

Hi, I’m afraid I just ditched the wigs on the summer! Far too hot ? , and there is no way you can cool a wig. Also, as we should wear hats to protect our skin after chemo and rads, it’s hard to actually feel the hat through the wig. My hat flew down the street a few times. ? lol. I ended up at Charlie Bears in the hospital, who sorted me out with some lovely fair trade cotton scarves. They tied them for me, and did lovely knots and bows. I could feel my hat through the scarf, so was more  confident. I also bigged up my earrings and jewellery, and made great efforts with make up. There was a course on at the hospital which I accessed.

I too have small grandchildren, and I decided to let them check me out. Their curiosity and natural acceptance of my duck down scalp gave me great confidence . I was quite emotional at their little pets and strokes as they wanted me to get better quickly. They are much better at accepting differences than adults, so don’t be concerned that they will be frightened. 

After two years of treatment I’m quite hard now, and I am fighting for my life. If people don’t like what they see then they can lump it! I’m still me, as my friends and family know. If your mum could meet others like her I am sure her perspective would change. Very jealous that there’s a holiday in the offing. An excellent lift for body and spirit. X