Hospital Waiting Rooms

I just wanted to share something a physiotherapist told me today. Namely that regular exposure to waiting rooms can cause unneccsary unconscious trauma. Especially if you are doing daily rads, I surmise. I’m aware of huge efforts in NHS to change the ‘atmosphere’ of/in  waiting rooms. Not convinced a form of segregation is appropriate; a clown might help kids and conversely a musician strumming a soothing melody doesn’t. And visa versa. 

If you are awaiting daily treatment my tips are:

Ask if you will be given a pager. If so, what is it’s range? Can you, without disrupting the NHS staff treating you  wander around, rather than being glued to a seat? 

Small ‘community’ gestures- my rads dept had a simple wicker basket at ‘check in’, which was stocked with sweets that patients and staff could help themselves to. This, to me, was the most “human” part of each day.

Seating arrangements more conducive to a socially positive  experience,  than a dehumanising ‘production line’ . 

I totally agree - it does make a big difference to how you feel

• I’ve spent a lot of time in waiting rooms over the last 4 years and some increased my stress and dread others felt supportive and calming .The rads waiting room at Preston hospital is also the WRVS cafe - the seating is comfy and cafe style - if you are having rads you get a free hot drink and their toasted teacakes are yummy - if you wanted to you could be sociable quite easily and chat to other people waiting rather than sitting in rows contemplating your fate !!!