How long off work for lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed

Hello

How much time have people been off work for lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed. 

I’ m signed off for 4 weeks and this is now week 3. For Weeks 3 and 4 I’ll be paid statutory sickness pay.  I’m 51.

I’m thinking of working from home on week 4, next week. However I have my first week of radiotherapy that week and I’m unsure what effect this will have on me.  I won’t be having chemo.

I still have some flair ups of pain in the area but generally I’m ok. Over the last month or so I’ve been very stressed and part of me just wants some time to myself and look after me that week.  On the other hand, returning to work may help me to get back to normality quicker.

What did you do yourselves ?

Many Thanks !

Hi, good for you being so strong, I’m in awe! I’m similar circs to you, sick note commenced day of op and currently lasts for a month post rads. BC Nurse recommended I then take a further 2 months to recuperate fully. I will get full pay for 6 months in total, I realise others aren’t as lucky. Has it hit you yet, what has happened to you? I hope your spared, but it can hit you very hard, emotionally and you’ll need time to get over. You say you feel you need time for yourself and I’d say you’re maybe pushing yourself too hard to get it over with asap, ie life back to normal. We are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, so your employer is obliged to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to support you, working from home, reduced hours etc. Hope this helps, if you do manage to get through it with just 4 weeks off work, I salute you Hchie! Be kind to yourself, regardless, you deserve it. Hug.

Hi

Like you, I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy after diagnosis of IDC in April. I needed further surgery to get clearer margins. I am now having radiotherapy- just had session 8.

I was keen to go back to work two weeks after finishing radiotherapy, however my surgeon and oncologist said this was far too soon and would be signing me off for another 3 months. They both said hat you can suffer from extreme fatigue from radiotherapy and that the emotional side of things can catch up once treatment finishes. Like Wonky, I am lucky that I get 6 months full pay. I do feel that I will need the time after treatment to fully recover and find myself again.

I wish you all the best. Mel x