cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paracetamol

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted

Re: Paracetamol

I have just taken a 2 month (8 week) break from the meds (Letrozole and Ibandronic acid), due to start again tomorrow although I haven't seen the onc again.  I will definitely bring it up with the GP again.  Thanks for the support.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Pecan, I'm extremely surprised your GP is not prescribing for you . I'm on Letrozole too, and on a bad day paracetamol doesn't touch it. I get both paracetamol and codeine on prescription. Perhaps your GP doesn't understand what pain you're in? I think I would be having a little chat. It's ridiculous you having to run around chasing paracetamol. X

Highlighted

I just think this is so sad and wrong! No one should have to do a round of supermarkets to obtain decent pain relief! Please complain to your Gp and Pals. 

I agree buy your own for coughs and colds etc but for post surgery or during treatments it should be prescribed!  Plus if you are having cancer treatment prescriptions are free. Good luck x

Highlighted

Hello Cathy,

I obviously have a less suicidal face - they just take one look and throw the packets at me - do you think they are trying to tell me something? (Joke)

Yeh - agree -  F*** the lot of them at times!

Now you and me need to get some shut eye!

Best Wishes,

Chick X

Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with other problems at the moment.

Highlighted

Hi Chick1,

I did try a pharmacy and was allowed 2 packets of 32, which was double what the supermarket would allow.  My husband has now had a prescription of codeine, and we did get a pack of cocodamol from Boots when we went to London.  Otherwise, I just try to remember to plonk two of everything in my trolley every time I go anywhere.  Having brought so much attention to myself asking for more I feel somewhat shy about asking anywhere else. 

This doesn't mean I have stopped complaining.  There is something disctinctly humiliating about creeping around asking for pain killers, and I despair of this nanny state.  However, at the moment I have other things on my plate (and other things to complain about).

If only the people concerned (when I asked) had acted with a little more sympathy I might not be so bothered, but the bureaucratic smugness makes me mad all over again!  Dammit.

Cathy

Highlighted

Hello Pecan and all,

Not sure if you manage to sort out your paracetamol prescription issue out and the GP relented. 

Anyway, I am currently taking paracetamol a little more regularly.  I asked at the supermarket pharmacy (Morrisons) and no problem in purchasing up to 3 packs of 32 in one go (so 96 in total). I had already purchased 2 packs of 16 at the checkout. So a grand total of 128. I also had no problem purchasing in Boots at the pharmacy counter - another 96 in one go and no doubt could have done the same at  any pharmacy I passed by. 

Hence the Pharmacy seems the place to go.

Regards,

Chick X

Highlighted

Hi Pecan. Your gp can prescribe paracetamol if you take them regularly. I would speak to the Practice Manager or failing that PALS or someone at your local CCG. GPS are told not to prescribe them for people who have the odd headache etc but if you need them on a regular basis then they should prescribe them. Good luck.

Highlighted

I did.  She said No.

Highlighted

My doctor prescribes them for me on repeat prescription... no charge, you should ask them.

Highlighted

Dear Pecan

What a bummer for you, that's it's a genuine need for more that two packs of Para's, because they're all for different people, I too can only advise you go to places where you can buy at one, and go across the street to the other. It's inconvenient, but still very easy to stockpile a huge amount of para's, despite regulations.

Hope you sort your problem

Delly xxx

Highlighted

I did it I home bargains and in wilkos. Just got to be discreet. Use separate tills!! 😂💖💖💖
Highlighted

I tried that in Lidl, and they refused.

Highlighted

Me and my hubby just go through separate and both buy them. Maybe someone could shop with you ?💖💖
Highlighted

My GP has now added my mother's paracetamol to a prescription (because she's old and housebound I suppose).  I know I CAN go from one shop to another gathering packs of drugs.  I just hoped there was a more dignified way of doing it.

Highlighted

Just to add our gp won't prescribe paracetamol anymore to anyone for any reason. They say they cheap enough to buy.
Highlighted

Sorry just saw your GP won’t prescribe, can’t your husband see the Gp for his own prescription?
Highlighted

Try speaking to your GP my partner gets paracetamol in boxes of 100 which he had for his knee replacement, worth a try 

Highlighted

Ate you able to go to more than one outlet during your shopping trip? You could purchase 2 in each!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Cathy,
Yes, it is frustrating, I’ve had similar following my OH’s knee surgery. Unfortunately, it’s dispensing guidelines, I believe, gone are the days when we could buy a bottle of 100 tabs!
Could you order online as well? As Least it would save schlepping to the pharmacy.
ann
Highlighted

Paracetamol

Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you handle it?  I had to go through the humiliating experience of buying Paracetamol, which I take for the painful side effects of Letrozole.  I don't use it often, but I have to have it for 3 people (me, husband with sciatica, mother with arthritis), and I don't go shopping every day, or even every week.  So this business of limiting me to 2 packets is frustrating me HUGELY!  Tesco told me to go to the pharmacy if I needed more than 2 packets.  The pharmacy told me they could only sell me 2 packets.  The GP is not allowed to prescribe them.  WHAT am I to do?  I even took my husband with me once, and he wasn't allowed to buy any because I had used up the limit of two packs. (I am my mother's carer, by the way, as she cannot get out on her own.)

Cathy