Phased return to work

Lovely folks, have any of you agreed that on returning to work, that you have a phased return? I’ve been advised to do this as I’m employed fulltime in a stressful job and I don’t think I can cope (actually I know I won’t) if I go straight back in fulltime.
My BN said that its assumed that as you’re back fulltime you’re all “fixed” when in fact you need the time to readjust.
I spoke to my manager today and she can see no issue, but I wondered how anyone else had worked it?
Im thinking 3 days for a couple of weeks and then building it up to 4 days for a couple of weeks then seeing how I go from there. I went back to fulltime 2 weeks after my surgery and basically turned in to a mess so I don’t want my poor brain or body to go through that again!!

Thanks xx

Hi Lilac

i am returning to work in August after 5 months off work on a phased return.

i work for an NHS trust and the Occupational health Nurse advised my manager that I am to return on a phased return and be managed under the equality act because of the cancer diagnosis.

This means I can’t be put on a ‘stage’ or warning because of my absence due to bc or any future absence relating to this.

To be honest my manager has been great about it, as I work full time, my phase return will be 4 weeks.  first 2 weeks, 2 full days and 2 half days, week 3 will be 3 days and week 4 will be 4 days then from week 5 back to normal hours but with weekly welfare meetings to see how I,m coping.  

The phased return will not use up my annual leave so will have my full quota of 33 days plus what I had over from last year (7 days)  to take before next April.  This means I will be able to take it easy over the next 6 months as I will be able to do 4 day weeks quite a bit as well as take leave for going away.

i feel that this is very fair.

I hope your plans for a phased return go well.

X

Lilacmoon. I have recently taken early retirement before my diagnosis fortunately however a number of years ago I had a hysterectomy and returned to work after 5 weeks on a phased basis. I had quite a senior position and had discussed the fact that travelling wouldn’t be an option for a few weeks. Iive in Liverpool and my key client was in Essex. On my return to work I was told great your back we have arranged for you to go down to London for a meeting on Thursday. From then on it was business as usual
So my advice would be
Are you sure you are ready physically and mentally to go back. If so
Make sure you agree not only with your line manager but HR your days and hours before you go back
Do not be pressured into working more than your agreed hours unless you feel you can and even then be careful it can be perceived that your 100% if you give a bit more
Try and agree that you have say weekly reviews with your manager to discuss how you are doing and if and when you are ready to increase or if necessary decrease your hours
Hope this is helpful I never did any of this but when I had staff in similar situations I made sure that this is how we planned their return.
Hope this helps and I haven’t gone on too much Good luck with your conversations
Be kind to yourself you have been through a horrible time and it takes time to recover both in body and mind x

Hi I’m returning to work also in August after being off since November last year. I am now receiving half pay so unfortunately needs must!! I will return on a phased return basis. Starting 2 hours a day for the 1st week. I normally work 3 x 8 hours. My managers aren’t very impressed but tough!!! It’s about me from now on!!??

Thank you so much for all the advice.
Its just the guilty feeling that we get I guess!!! But Im bleeding well making sure I don’t get stressed out as my mum maintaines it was stress that caused all of this rubbish in the first place.
Im currently not due back till 23rd so I’ll see how i feel week after next.
Thankfully part of my job can be done at home and there is not heaps of travel, so I just need to stick to my guns and say if its getting me stressed.

You are all wonderful xxxx