cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wound healing delaying radiotherapy

20 REPLIES 20
Community Champion

Re: Poor wound healing delaying radiotherapy

Hi Dorly, you seem to have got yourself in a sad state. My weeping wounds cleared up with a heavy dose of anti biotics, so I was quite lucky. I have heard of plastic surgery being carried out on larger wounds.....once the infection has gone and it’s all healed. I think what you should remember is that surgery is the primary cancer removal, and everything else is sort of belts and braces. Your Medical Team would never put you at risk, so, although I can understand your frustration and anxiety, I think you need some trust here. If you have been googling, or reading the Daily M, then, as my Onco says, google is not a doctor, and newspapers are not medical journals! 😂 There is no way that radiotherapy, or chemo, will be carried out as the tissue will never heal, and you will be in a worse state than you are. I’ve never heard of this 12 week guideline, or of it returning so quickly. I know there is a six week rest between each type of treatment to let the body heal, as that was explained to me by my consultant. Your Consultant will keep a close eye on you, and ensure that you are treated correctly and in your best interests. I’m sure it doesn’t feel like that as you are so worried, but perhaps you could seek emotional help and support from Macmillan or a Maggies centre? Talking to the nurses here might also help. Best wishes. X

Community Manager

Hi @dorfy 

We are sorry to hear you are feeling this way and we would just like to say that we are here for you. If you would like to talk about any concerns or worries you have, your treatment or anything else, our clinical experts are only at the end of the phone on our free helpline 0808 800 6000. It is open 9am-4pm weekdays and 9am-1pm Saturdays.

Alternatively you can ask one of our experts in the Ask Our Nurses area of the Forum and they can respond to you online.

Best wishes, 

Shareena

Social Media Officer

Is it getting any smaller? I think you should get referred to the tissue viability nurses for advice. They are excellent and I certainly credit them with helping me heal mines. I totally feel for you as I was at my wits end too. 

Don’t know what to do anymore

Still getting wound packed no change feel suicidal now 

Oh dorfy that’s sounds so painful. The tissue viability nurses saw my wound last week and recommended a gel called flaminal forte which I just squeeze onto cavity and put a dressing on top. It’s seems to be granulating and looks slightly smaller. Just hope it keeps going. Might be worth asking for a second opinion from tissue viability? 

Morning! Well had my 3rd lot of packing done yesterday, I went last Friday and she decided to cut the wounds and make them bigger to get more packing in so was very sore when I came out!. Went yesterday for a dressing change and more packing and the smell was horrendous! Doctor said it was ok and not infected But if it does get infected it’s ok I can have my 6th lot of antibiotics!!! So all in all it could take weeks to heal and I’ve got to be patient, been 12 weeks today since op so wait and see, might be healed by Christmas with a bit of luck so fingers crossed x 

Dorfy I’m sorry your having such a bad time. I totally know what u mean when you say you are ready to explode. I don’t understand how each trust works with radiotherapy as I was told that I would get it right up to six months! I’m actually at the stage now where I hope for the wound to heal so badly just to get my life back and if radiotherapy is a no go well so be it. But I’ll just wait and see. 

Hope you have a fab time in Dublin, probably what you need to take your mind off things, well I went to see my surgeon the other day because my wounds burst open in another place now!!! So after having another scan she’s decided to pack it, trouble is she’s only packed one of the drainage wounds and not the 3 cm hole where it’s burst open, it was agony!!! Thought she was stuffing a Cushion!!!.she told me I’ve missed my window for radiotherapy because my wounds not gonna heal anytime soon, it’s been 12 weeks on Tuesday since I had my op. Well you can imagine how I felt, she told me dont worry it’s not the end of the world if I don’t get my treatment to which I replied that’s easy for you to say you havnt had cancer and I bet Megan markel wouldn’t have to put up with what I’ve had to over the past 12 weeks!!! I feel as if she’s just cut it out and I’ve been left to fend for myself now! Seriously thinking of not going back and taking my chances to keep on dressing it myself as I’ve done for the past 6 weeks and hope it heals soon. It’s cost me a fortune in bus train and parking fares and I’ve been off work now for 12 weeks without a penny and I’m ready to blow now!!! Well I’ve had my rant for today so that’s all folks!!!

So sinus has returned. Result from swab taken last week shows I have wound infection. I have been telling them that for last four weeks but they kept saying my wound looked clean and only did a swab last week to shut me up! So two weeks of antibiotics start today. Here’s hoping this will help heal it!!!! I am so over this whole journey now. I’m off to Dublin for weekend and plan to enjoy it and forget about cancer and life’s stresses!

Bloody hell thats crap. Well I was told by radiotherapy centre today that they would offer it up to six months post op as wound issues is a huge problem. She told me to phone them when wound is healed. Yeah I have had this cavity going on eight weeks now. But feel it is slightly smaller this last few days. You should ask your practice nurse to refer you to tissue viability. I’m seeing them on Wednesday for advice on healing this wound. There are so much out there that can be done. I feel the same as you. The surgeons have done their bit and cut it out and not really interested in wound care yet oncology/radiotherapy not interested until wound healed. It’s so hard to stay positive. 

Was due to start radiotherapy next Monday but I think that’s gonna get cancelled!!! Was in a&e on Saturday due to a huge bleed in wound after my bc nurse said massage it, well it didn’t work! The hospital said there’s a huge cavity that is not gonna heal anytime soon and that they won’t do radiotherapy anytime soon as it won’t work. It will be 12 weeks tomorrow that I had my op and I feel so down, I should have had my treatment weeks ago but the hospital said they probably won’t give me any and that I shouldn’t worry about the cancer coming back as they will keep a check on me!!! But when I mentioned to the surgeon I’d read that if you don’t get your treatment within 12 weeks there’s a higher risk of it coming back as invasive cancer!!! She started talking about something else and said don’t worry!!! That’s easy for her to say!!! I’m worried sick!!! 

Small improvement in wound over weekend. Sinus seems to have disappeared but still got an open cavity. Got an ultrasound scan last week which didn’t show any collections at back of wound. Radiotherapy put off till end of month to give it a chance to heal fully. They did re assure me that they have had folk get radiotherapy up to six months post surgery so I don’t feel so stressed about the whole thing now. Hope things are improving for you ladies too? 

It is the most irritating thing ever. I’ve recently had an ultrasound scan to see if there is a collection at the back of the sinus but it didn’t show any abnormalities which is good. I’ve got appt with tissue viability next week to see what they suggest. I’ve increased my protein intake also. Radiotherapy is getting put back on a weekly basis which is silly as this will take a good month to heal if it ever starts ! I just want it healed and my skin back to normal. 

Hi

I'm a new member so hopefully I'm posting correctly. 

I had my lumpectomy end of March. 

8 weeks later, with wound well healed I began to get a tiny sore weepy area at end of wound. Went to GP who removed a radiotherapy pin which was sticking out. 

However, the wound is now bigger, no infection but leaking fluid which I'm told is lymph. No sign of healing. 

I go weekly to get it dressed but I too am waiting to start radiotherapy. 

I've been told it will heal, just give it time. But it's a major worry as I need to start radiotherapy. I feel my body is trying to push out the pins... But I'm told it's unlikely. 

I feel for you... It's frustrating and worrying. You are not alone. Sending a hug. 

Hi! Been for scan and mark up but can’t go ahead until wounds healed, it’s been oozing green stuff for 5 weeks now, feel like I’m being fobbed off. Bc nurse said it’s a seroma a hematoma, an infection,an abscess, n now it’s fat necrosis coming out!!! Been told now if it doesn’t heel soon I won’t be offered radiotherapy now because it will be over the 12 weeks since surgery, I’m worried sick n just cried n cried worrying it’s gonna come back, they said it won’t work 

I know what your going through. It is the most frustrating thing ever especially as my pals ask on a daily basis if my wound is any better!!!! 

Ive been and had my CT and radio planning but they said for me to phone when wound is healed. No one seems overly bothered tbh! The radiographers tried to re assure me that it is usually months down line that they would be concerned and that wound healing is one of the main delays to radiotherapy.

i think we just have to sit tight and wait. 

Hi I’m new to this posting thin n can’t seem to get the hang of it so if Ive already replied I apologise, posted something on Saturday don’t know if you saw it but mines been going on for 8 weeks now and I’m just ready to give up, I’ve cried and cried , done everything the bc nurse has said and it’s still oozing! Worried now if it doesn’t heal soon and I miss my treatment it’s gonna come back

Thanks,

yeah diet is relatively healthy enough. Might increase the protein like you say. It’s still early days but I’m just feeling so frustrated as I thought the post op period would be the easy bit but didn’t expect so many complications. I think I took a lumpectomy for granted and saw it as pretty minor surgery. How wrong was I.

anyway, I’ll just have to content myself and let nature take its course.

D x

Hi Denzel,

I can't answer your q about time to heal, but just wanted to check you are eating protein regularly through the day since it helps build cells. I appreciate you may already have been doing this, know there are loads and loads of factors affecting healing and you've had a complication. I found the high protein approach helped me (unless it was something else) since thankfully I healed really quickly from all 3 of my op's and took the same approach each time.  Also getting enough rest (since that helps healing), and being active at times during the day to keep everything (lymph and blood) pumping around. 

I hope another forum member can help re your q about time to heal and really hope it starts healing soon.  Did/could your breast care nurse give any advice on healing after the haematoma?

Be kind to yourself and keep doing the post op exercises. 

Sending virtual hugs

Seabreeze 

Highlighted

Poor wound healing delaying radiotherapy

I had a lumpectomy on June 10th for DCIS. I developed a large haematoma a week later which was aspirated with needle and syringe. Two days later it filled up again and they used suction to aspirate it. I have been left with a hole in the wound the size of small five pence. It is now constantly draining yellow fluid. And I can’t see the wound closing together any time soon. I had the wound sutures together in clinic last week as a temporary measure to bring the ends together but it is still oozing through the wound. Radiotherapy has all been planned but I obviously can’t start this until the wound heals well. Has anyone else had this problem. And if so how long did it take to heal?