cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recipes

8 REPLIES 8
delly

Re: Recipes

Hi pinklily - Eeeee, you have been busy on this section, darlin !!

There's a lot been said about the brighter coloured the veg or friut, the better it is for you. They tend to have higher Vit C levels, berries, citruses, peppers, beets, radishes, toms, red cabbage and any other cabbages, sprouts, broccoli (cruciferous) flat parsley. Also all tend to have high levels of antioxidants, which combined with the Vit C, help combat diseases. The Vit C aids the uptake of iron too. Garlic's a wonder food - bacteriacidal, antiseptic, helps reduce blood pressure, etc, etc. Tomatoes are especially high in lycopene - a powerful antioxident.

Delly's Roasted Mediterranean Veg (for 3-4)

I love to fill a roasting tray with:-

Peppers, the red, orange, yellow ones (not so much the bitter green ones), 3-4 cut into large pieces.

3-4 cloves of chopped garlic,

Small skin on whole potatoes (4-5 per person) washed and parboiled for 5mins

3 medium sized Red Onions - Quartered

An ample drizzle of olive oil, enough to coat

Generous sprinkling of dried basil (sweeter than fresh when it cooks),

Black pepper and malvern salt to taste.

Give it all a good turn to coat the veg with the oil. Wop it in an oven (About 170/180) for 30 mins or until the spuds have coloured up and the peppers have well softened, giving it a turnover 1/2 way through. Mmmmm - yummie. It's great to have with fish or chicken. And great when cold, as all the flavours marinade together into a juice to dip some nice French bread, focaccia or ciabatta into to. 

I've always liked Mediterranean style food, as oppo English. Didn't prevent me from getting cancer, but feel it helped me heal more quickly. Though I admit to enjoying a big cooked breakfast, about twice a year, but not swimming in grease.

I think stress was a major culprit with me. It's incredibly destructive, a silent killer. 

Like Ann says, everything in moderation isn't going to do much harm. Again the Med countries tend to drink lots of wines, rather than spirits, as seems to be the fashion over here at the mo.

What these food companies are producing are probably hellishly expensive.

Happy, healthy eating.

Delly xxxx 

Lilacmoon14

Thanks for that Ktk. Im back at the hospital in another few weeks so shall nip in the MacMillan centre and ask them about it.
😊
ktk

My hospital gives the McMillan recipe book free. Also look up Life Kitchen and get on one of Ryan’s free courses if you can. He is an inspiration !!
pinklily

That should have been craving for crisps.
pinklily

Must admit, I do eat healthy, but did have a terrible graving for crisps, which I've now got well under control, we just don't have them in the house. I have a strong belief, if it's not on the shelf or in the cupboard, you can't eat it and it's out of temptations waySmiley Very Happy

I'm 5' and weigh 8st 9 and do try to keep very fit, I'm already walking to town and back, it's 2 miles to town and I've done that 3 times now since surgery on the 14th Aug. But my doctor said I need to eat lots off greens and I read somewhere to double up on the fruit, which I have no problem with as I love fruit and make loads of smoothis.

I can't eat dairy, so that's an added bonus, but the saying 'you are what you eat' is not easy when you don't know what to eat that feeds ER+ cancer, I want to deprive those horrid little cells off anything I can and that includes food that helps them grow. 

I did'nt know there was a recipie book, I'll have a look at it. Thanks for your help ladies, you have no idea how much you're of a help to me.

Lilacmoon14

Hi Pinklily,
Im thinking of buying the MacMillan recipe book. Was having a look through it the other day at the hospital and there were some lovely ideas in there.
Over the last 18 months I've put on a good stone and a half so seriuosly need a kick up the backside to lose it. You'd think getting through my diagnosis and treatment would spur me on but Im such a comfort/convenienance eater that its just not happening at the mo!!
Paulus

aww pinklily, I'm willing to bet that you eat healthily anyway most of the time, like the rest of us?

When we are feeling vulnerable, we often feel the need to reach out for answers and new ideas.  As Ann says, moderation in all things, unless you have your own criteria about things you want to cut out of your diet, or substitute? 

A step at a time, a day at a time, and trust us, you will gradually feel calmer and more in control, even though you don't think so right now. Please come here when it all feels too much  - there nearly always is someone about - even in the early hours. 

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Pinklily,

There are loads of sites on the internet, but there are also quite a few dubious ones as well, so do tread carefully - especially if it involves money.

Do look at reputable sites first, such as bcc here, Cancer Research UK & Macmillan.

Some of the others here have recommended a couple of other sites  & hopefully will be along to advise.

When it comes down to it, healthy eating, being the right weight & all things in moderation is where it's at.

ann x

pinklily

Recipes

I've seen a lot of sights on the internet for people with cancer, which provide recipies for meals specifically targeting cancer. Has anyone tried them and are they of any value.