Reciprocal health care arrangements

I am from UK but now living in Australia. I was diagnosed with triple positive breast cancer in September 21 .

I was due to fly to UK in August 2020 I see my ageing mother.  Covid 19 has had a major impact on all of us but especially for her resulting in increasing isolation and decreased support.

Sadly our international borders were closed to all in March 2020, unless specific criteria met ( or if you were a movie star, athlete or politician ).  

I managed to gather the required evidence to meet the criteria and was about to apply for permission to leave Australia when I received my diagnosis

Ironically the international borders opened soon after but I had started treatment and could no longer travel. 

My mother has Parkinson’s and this has recently progressed significantly requiring a hospital review and ongoing convalescence in a care home. She has since fallen and fractured her hip so has become quite dependent on others for help and we really need to see each other.  

Australia and the UK have reciprocal health care arrangements (RHCA) but I am not sure what would be covered through these.

I am a non-resident UK citizen and have a British passport.

Does anyone know if this mean an Australian resident/ NHS patient could receive short term therapy ( in my case 1 dose of Herceptin/ Kadcycla) as part of their cancer care plan if visiting  respectively  in UK/ Australia. 

Thanks for reading and I really hope you are all doing well with your treatments. 

Jane

Hi Jane , you could maybe post this in the Ask the nurses section they may have some information about this ?