Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery after mastectomy and diep reconstrution

48 REPLIES 48
delly

Re: Recovery after mastectomy and diep reconstrution

Hi again Ruth.
How's your tum now? Is it any further healed? I sooo hope so.
Lots of love and healing thoughts to you.
Love to everyone else too xxxxxxxxxx
Ruth_Timms

Thanks so much delly x

delly

Hey Ruth - No prob, just great to hear from you. Corr what, talk about juggling balls or plates, just so sorry your having such a difficult time. How's your Mum doing? I hope she's getting plenty of extra help besides your own too? Golly, already talk of Christmas, which seems an age away, but it'll soon pop round again. Hope you can stay strong, dear girl. Lots of love to you
Ruth_Timms

So happy to hear no chemo or rads for you. Thats brilliant news! xxx

Ruth_Timms

Hi All,

So so sorry for taking so long to reply to your messages. Other family stuff took over.  My mum has advanced Parkinsons and has moved to be near me and has required a significant amount of my time since I have been out of hospital, so I have not checked or responded to emails in ages.

I had a vac pump on my stomach wound for a good few weeks.  It was a complete pain to carry around but I knew it was doing good so stuck with it. My surgeon said it had done what it could to speed recovery so I got rid of it about 3 weeks ago.  I have regular checkups but 4 &1/2 months on still have an open wound. My consultant hopes it will have healed in 2 months but I will have a huge dent in my stomach.  He has said I can have corrective surgery when he does my revision surgery on my breasts but wants to put it back until christmas as the clot in my legs will still be breaking down.

So, plodding on at the moment. Still feeling very tried and like such a mess.  Feels like 'one step forward, two steps back' but sure I will get there eventually.

Thanks so much for your concern and apologies again for taking so long to respond but I am juggling quite a few balls at the moment! xx

delly

Oooooo, and corrr Fairy

Hello dear friend. I've been off radar a while. Thats ab fab bloody brill news ref no chemo and rads etc. Can I come to your new nipple party?!!

Didn't hear from Ruth Smiley Sad

Loadsa love to you from meee xxxxxxxxxxx

Fairy Dust

Just wanted to let you know I'm continuing to heal well. Had 1.2 litres of fluid removed from jelly belly though on Tuesday followed by going out to buy tighter support pants! Post op results day today and got best news I've had in 6months. No chemo or rads just hormone tablets! I've also booked the appointment for my Christmas pressie. I get my new nipples in December.

Would love to hear how you are, Ruth. 

delly

Hey, no sweat, Fairy. I'm a fellow Luddite (chuckled at) really. Honest. Keep doing well, dear friend xxxx
Fairy Dust

Thanks, Delly. You seem to know your way round these things. I'm a bit if s Luddite really. xxx

delly

P.s. Hope all you other previous postees on here are doing well with your op procedures, recovery and are happy with your results. 

Sib - Hope you had a great hol in Cypress. Somewhere I've always wanted to go, but haven't yet. I like the Greeks - very friendly, and very good at smashing plates and picking up tables in their teeth!! But maybe you went to the Turkish part?!

Love to everyone

DoolallyDelly xxxxxxx

delly

Hi again Fairy. No, no other posts from Ruth since 30.4
Have sent her a quick pm from us both, hoping she's doing well following her nasty experiences. She may not be well enough and up to posting. Will let you know if I receive a reply xxx
delly

Hey Fairy Dust - I'm so pleased to hear you're doing well, post op.That's great. Yeh, I'm also keen to hear ref Ruth? I'll have a quick check on her name, after I've posted this. See if anything/posts come up for her. xxxx
Fairy Dust

So glad you posted, Delly. I wanted to check how Ruth was doing, but couldn't find the post again! I got a notification following your post. Xxx

Fairy Dust

Just wondering how you are doing, Ruth. 

I'm 3 weeks post op and doing fine, touch wood. 

delly

Hi Ruth - How are you and how's it all going with you??
Loadsa love
Delly xxxxxxx
Ruth_Timms

Thank you Delly xx
delly

Heck Ruth,

Crikey. What a gawd awful rotten time and bad luck you've had. That's putting it mildly and very politely. I hope your tummy heals quickly and, and that your boobs results turn out well for you too, it being with the best of intentions and the reason you're now going through all this other. You're one brave and feisty cookie. Wishing you continued strength.

And Awww on your daughter. But if only she knew and understood what Mummy's been going through.

Fairy Dust - Hope your op went well yesterday and you recover well and quickly, without Ruths complications.

Lots of love, Delly xxxxxx 

Ruth_Timms

Hi fairy dust,
Good luck with your surgery. It has just been a case of bad luck for me. Each person's situation is different and the likelihood is all will be good for you. I wish you the very best of luck.
Yes, I had a CT scan and all the blood vessels looked very good. My surgeon even ran through the results with me. But obviously things must have looked different when he got in there. To be honest although,obviously, I would rather he hadn't had to cut through the muscles it is not the end of the world. The muscles will heal and can be strengthened with exercise.
Think positive. The lady opposite me in hospital had the same operation and was up and home with no problems in 5 days! This could be you!
I would love to hear how you get on. The nurses were lovely and my pain after the operation was managed well so don't be frightened. To pass the time I had lots of podcasts to listen too and I couldn't concentrate on tv or reading.
Lots of luck.
Xx
Fairy Dust

How are you going now, Andi?

Fairy Dust

Oh Ruth! As if we don't have enough to deal with. I sort of wish I hadn't read your post yet, as my dmx and DIEP reconstruction takes place tomorrow.

I saw the horror stories when I researched what I wanted, but whilst you know it can happen, you hope it won't happen to you. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this.

Did they do a CT scan of you abdomen before you had surgery. I had one to check the blood vessels before the surgeon confirmed she would do the op and she said that mine look good. Just hoping they weren't putting their best side forward for the photos and they look as good when they get in there tomorrow.

Hope you don't mind if I post on here, Ruth, how I get on.

Sending you hugs and wishes that your healing is going the right way now. Xxx

Ruth_Timms

Hi All,

It's Ruth who started this thread. Didn't know if to post as my experience has been quite tough and don't want to put anyone off. I'll start by saying even though things continue to be difficult I still would have the surgery.
I had a diep flap, mastectomy on left side and double reconstruction about 7 weeks ago. There were insufficient blood vessels in my day so my surgeon had to cut thru all my stomach muscles resulting in a mesh being inserted. My stomach wound failed to heal properly and I became aneamic resulting in being on antibiotics. I ended up in 2 weeks instead of 6 days. I was home 2 days and developed a blood clot in my left calf. Emergency ambulance trip and 6 hours in casualty by which time the clot had moved to my groin and some had broken off going into my lungs. My leg was the size of an elephant and I was in incredible pain for 2 days until they finally gave me serious amounts of morphine. Long story short I was in another 2 weeks learning to walk again and manage the pain.
Three weeks on from that I am off pain killers. My leg has gone down considerably but still noticeably bigger to me. I will have to wear compression socks for ever and am on lifetime blood thinners. My surgeon now won't operate to close the wound on my stomach because of tbe clot, so I have a large open wound which will take months to heal. I developed an I infection in the wound after leaving hospital and spent 2 weeks on antibiotics. I am now wearing a vacuum pump dressing over the wound which is attached to a battery pack I have to wear in a bag attached to me 24 / 7.
My surgeon has not even focussed on looking at the healing and outcome of my new breasts because managing the wound has been paramount. And that's it for the foreseeable future. Trips to hospital twice a week to have the vac pump dressing changed.
Oh Yes, I started rectal bleeding following the clot and going on the blood thinners so I have to have an endoscopy exam next week- deep joy.
I am just about holding it together. I have a 2 year old who thought mummy was going away for a week and was gone a month and she didn't understand why so rejected me on coming home. She has finally started to forgive me but is upset by the vac pump.
I wanted to feel womanly again and now look like something from a horror movie on my stomach.
And yet I still have the belief that all will be good. The wound will heal with patience. My surgeon wi do revision surgery with discussion with the heamotologist in about a year.
Cancer is a **bleep** (sorry) and the journey to recovery is a bloody long one.
Ruth x
Christine Rim

I am a way of my planned double DIEP as i have another 8 weeks of chemo and a period for it to clear my system before then but thank you all for sharing your experiences. i can see all cases are different so will hope for the best. Mine will be to reconstruct one breast that has been removed 18 years ago and the other that will needs to go now but the surgeon says he can do this with the amount of tummy fat i have but my breasts will be slightly smaller. this is not my main priority so i am not worried about that. i just want to finally be able to wear a normal bra and feel normal again. i know they will not look as they were but think what they can do now will be what i am looking for.

Thank you for all this information.

arnella

Hi,

Sorry to hear your story. I too have been through this 9 weeks now. I can only advise you to mobilize as much as possible after surgery. I am still sore following the treatment but reasured it is normal. They told me it would take 10-14 weeks to recover, this is what I am finding. Whenever I feel low I think of the children who have had to undergo cancer treatment, its what keeps me going. Best of luck and remain positive. x

Fairy Dust

Thank you for this Andi71.  It's been really useful to read. I've just got my op date Sunday 29th April. It's been so long coming (diagnosed 21st December after mammogram at the end of October) 6 months more or less since my mammogram. I've had a lymph node biopsy, and then started on letrozole(2 weeks now), but the cancer is still inside me(right side)!

I'm having double mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction (profilactic on left side). I'm also having a level one clearance of the lymph nodes after cancer was found during the sentinel node biopsy. Thought I would feel better now I have my date and after the fight I've had to get what I wanted, but feel really weird and am struggling to sleep, hence the time of this post! I am trying to take tings as they come on a daily basis  now, instead of racing ahead and worrying about things we don't know about yet, but I have struggled with this the last couple of days.  Reading these posts, it makes me wonder how any of us going through this remain even remotely sane. The "journey" phrase is used a lot, but I sometimes feel its more of a mountaineering expedition.  You just get to the top of one peak and feel quite pleased with yourself, before you spot the next mountain in the series which seems higher than the one you've just conquered!

Having people like you show us the best route up the mountain really helps. xxx

Lynda52

HI. I have recently been diagnosed with lobular B C and am due to have a mastectomy and reconstruction next week. It has been really helpful reading about your experience and thanks for the tip regarding a fan and Magicool. Hope you are continuing to make a good recovery

Ruth_Timms

Thanks Andi71. Your response has been incredibly reassuring. Continued success with your recovery and I'll let u know how I get on. Ruth x
Andi71

Hi Ruth,

blimey lovey I can’t believe you’ve been messed about so much with cancellations!  Let’s hope the 24th Feb is your day.

As far as pain management goes I was hooked up to morphine whereby I was in control of giving myself a boost of it when needed, in the form of a button.  To be honest they have the pain management pretty spot on and to be honest I felt comfortable.

on returning home I was given paracetamol and Tramadol 2 x 4 times a day as required.  I had Tramadol because I can’t take ibuprofen or codeine because I react badly on them.  If I’m honest I could have done with 2 more days worth of Tramadol because when I came off it it was notable.  

As for movement, the first few days are the hardest, but to be honest they like you to be in bed resting with a small walk to the bathroom only, then progress to a hallway then before you leave Hospital the Physio team will have you going up and down stairs, which is a lot easier than you may imagine.

youll be shown how to safely get in and out of bed, basically rolling out, it’s very easy and effective.  When you walk you have to do so in a stooped position, your not allowed to stand upright as it’ll pull on your tummy.

My operation was on a Tuesday and I went home on the Saturday.  I recommend you use a soft pillow for your journey home so that the seatbelt doesn’t cut into you.  I was able to move round the house quite easily.  I did have to put 2 cushions on top of each other on the sofa so I could sit because the sofa was too low.  

I found that that because you have to stoop that I got backache when sitting on the dining room chairs.  So I’d eat then leave at the table to go to bed and sit propped up with 4 pillows.  Some people talk about investing in those triangle pillows but I don’t think you need to buy one.

once given the ok by the Breast Care nurses a week after the op you are ok to shower.  In the meantime I used to put a chair in the bathroom, fill the basin and give myself a wash.  I needed help closing my bra, putting socks on etc. I have a shower over a bath and was ok getting in and out. You actually feel great after your first shower it’s great.

2 weeks on, I get in and out of bed really easily, I can do my own socks and shoes, albeit I’m bringing my foot up sat on a chair and not bending to the floor. I can sit in a chair for longer periods of time.

The one thing I would get you to probably consider is sleeping tablets.  3 weeks in and I’m still not getting any sleep to talk of , so today I’ve got a prescription from my Dr.  Unfortunately my lack of sleep has affected my mood, so I have felt a bit low.  Every day does feel like Groundhog Day for the first 2 weeks.

i found having the radio on was good, makes you feel more in contact with the outside world.  Also I’d watch stuff on my iPad, do crosswords etc.  You need to find your thing to do whilst resting in bed because it gets mighty boring.

Every day gets easier.  My Breast still hurts but it’s ok with paracetamol.  I’m very happy with how it looks.  It’s basically a Breast with an indented flap of skin where the nipple used to be.  There is no more scaring than that.  Also, the new Breast sits up higher than the other one, but this is normal.  It takes about 3 months for it to settle, drop down.

the tummy is also ok.  Basically a scar running from hip to hip.  They give you internal stitches, then glue on top of those then surgical tape.  You have to replace the surgical tape once a week.  This helps to flatten the scarring, so it’s important to do it.  It doesn’t hurt to do it.

I’d say overall that the tummy hurts more, but 3 weeks in the Breast hurts more just due to the tissue trying to settle.

let me know how you get on and fingers crossed for the 24th 🤞🏼

x

Ruth_Timms

Glad to hear you are doing well Andi71. Thank you for your update. Can you let me know about pain management in hospital and the pain level at home? Also, what is your movement like after a couple of weeks? My operation was supposed to be September last year and was cancelled due to lack of staff. Now it has been cancelled twice in Jan due to the flu crisis. I have a new date of Feb 24th and I really hope it goes ahead. Wishing you continued success in your recovery. Are you happy with how your new breast and stomach look like at this stage? Best wishes and hope you get a good night's sleep soon, Ruth x
Andi71

Hello ladies,

Well it’s been a while, apologies.

My DIEP operation went well, just short of 10hrs.  The first 24 hours I’d say is the hardest in that you have the hugger blanket on you constantly blowing hot air.  I had nurses checking on me every 30 minutes and each time they came in I got them to refresh my flannel with cold water which was on my forehead.  It was exhausting, drifting in and out every half hour but the staff were great.  

The drains I didn’t find a problem at all.  The undignified bit was having a bed pan for a day after the catheter was removed.  The nurses were great at helping getting me to roll out of bed to walk to the loo after this. I was fortunate in that I had my own room and shower room.  The drains were put in a bag and were easy to transport around.  The nurses help give you a bed bath daily.

Removing the drains were absolutely ok.  You wince preempting what’s to come, but it really is ok.  

After 4 nights in hospital I came home with Tramadol.  I won’t lie, sleeping is hard going and I have had a few meltdowns due to extreme tiredness and frustration at not being able to do much.

i broke a couple of rules when it came to the wearing of a bra 23hrs a day and the large pants.  My tummy felt so tight and sore that I only wore them during the day, and at bedtime switched to just normal knickers.  This helped me get more sleep.  I also did the same with my bra.  Although I’d say bruising on the Breast was the thing that hurt the most rubbing against the bra.  2 and a half weeks on, I now wear the bra 24\7 and only change it once I’ve had a daily shower.  The big pants still stay off at night.  

After one week post op I had to go back to hospital to have the dressings changed and have a check on the surgical sites.  Both are doing great.  I’ve been give tape to reapply every 7 days along my tummy site.  Again, I winced doing it, but only have 4 more weeks of it.  Beneath the tape is glue, beneath the glue is internal stitches. The Breast needs time to settle and naturally drop which is normal, so it’s sitting higher than my other one.  

If if you have any questions I’ll be happy to help xx

Ezzie1698

Good luck ladies with your forthcoming reconstruction ops.  I am 10 weeks post my DIEP/muscle sparing TRAM.  Trust me, there may be some times when you feel the pits but it is so, so worth it.  It has done my mental state a world of good in moving forward with my BC journey.  Sorry for the cliche.

I have been one of the lucky ones and I have recovered very quickly.  I drove again at 3 weeks (having checked hospital blurb and insurance), worked from home in a similar time frame and pick up my tennis racquet again this week. 😀.  Things that I have found difficult?  Sneezing and mashing potatoes!

Some tips that you may find useful.  I drank copious amounts of water post op whilst I was hooked up to my catheter.  May be an old wives tale but I did it thinking it would flush the anaesthetic out.  I put all my essential needs, phone, book, lip salve, wet wipes, etc. etc. in a small bag which I asked the nurse to place on my bed table post-op.  You won’t be able to get it yourself from the locker!  Make sure you also have some front opening nightwear for those hourly flap inspections.

Since I was glued together without dressings, I could shower and so my drain went in a plastic carrier bag which I hung off the shower mixer valve.  Finally, learn how to roll out of bed.  This is the easiest and least painful way and I found a you-tube video demonstrating the procedure.  If you sleep at home on the wrong side of a double bed, consider swapping sides so that you can manage it.

Wishing you both all the very best.  Ezzie. Xx

Sib

Thanks for your good wishes Andi, hoping all goes well for you on Tuesday, will be sending positive vibes.

My last Carboplatin chemo is 17th January. I too have numb fingers and toes from Doxetaxol, which was stopped as i had extreme side effects which caused me to be hospitalized .
Im having a wee holiday i Cyprus in April before i under ho my mastectomy/reconstruction as I really need to tecover fully from brutal chemo regime.
Please let me know how you get on when you can.
Big hugs xx
Andi71

Ruth,

Itl’ll be good to stay in touch 🙂 and thank you! Hopefully I won’t be telling you to upgrade to a BIG fan! 🌪💨

x

Ruth_Timms

Thanks for your post Andi71. Good luck with the surgery. I will read your updates. I now plan to get a small fam and magicool! Xc
Andi71

Ruth - I just want to say hi and wish you well for your op on 13th. It can’t be easy having to go through all of this again but will be worth it in the end. We too don’t have any family around but have really good friends on hand to help whenever needed. I’m not looking forward to being restricted with movement post operation. Looks like reading is going to be my go to to help get through it. I’m pretty house proud so it’ll be frustrating for a few weeks with teenage girlies and a partner who’s hobbies end up all over the house 😂 Oh well! Happy to exchange post op experiences. Hugs xx
Andi71

Sisterlylove - I have just read your posts which have been really useful - thankyou! If there’s one thing this site gives you it is openness and honesty about our experiences going through treatment of this nasty disease. How are you getting on now that you are weeks on the other side of surgery and are you having any hormone treatment etc?
I’ve got my operation next Tuesday, I have Herceptin jabs every 3 weeks for a year and planned Tamoxifen ongoing. I hope you are feeling back to normal as much as you can be, hugs xx
Andi71

Sib - I just wanted to say hi and that I’m another lady who is going through the DIEP surgery (next week). I’ve recently stopped chemotherapy FEC & PTH and just wondering how you are getting on? I found my last cycle of chemo the one I felt most tired with, but there is Definately light at the end of the tunnel. Post chemo I am starting to feel pretty normal. My main complaint is numb toes and sore soles. It’s a side effect of Taxol unfortunately which I’m hoping will wear off. On the positive, taste does come back! You can begin to start enjoying food again. I hope you are doing ok with SE’s and I’m cheering you on xx
Andi71

Girly888 - Hi I have just read your post along with the other ladies and found what you have said is really helpful! 🙂 I’m having my single DIEP operation on Tues 9th January. Knowing that I’ll feel like I’ve been hit by a truck, bus, car over the first 3 days prepares me for the worst 😂 I like your BC nurses analogy!
I’m 6 weeks post chemotherapy FEC & PTH and have started to feel quite ‘normal’ again, so 6-12 weeks of post op recovery I’m not looking forward to greatly, but I’m glad I’m getting the next bit dealt with. I keep hearing that the hot air blanket was for most the most unbearable part in hospital. I am armed with a small fan, flannels and Magicool 💨❄️ In the hope it counterbalances the rest of my body overheating!
How long did it take for you to feel comfortable washing your hair, bending, pulling, reaching? I’ve got help at home for the first 2 weeks pretty much round the clock, then everyone will be back to work & school week 3. What are your thoughts on your symmetry operation? Do you feel ready to go through it after everything you’ve been through and have you got good support?

For those ladies having their operations after me, I plan on posting daily as to what my experiences are in my hospital treatment and at home to give you a picture of what you may expect. I appreciate that we all respond differently to treatment etc, but you may also relate to any similarities and not feel ‘different’. First post will hopefully be on Weds.

sisterlylove

Hi Ruth

i had my surgery prophylactic most of my family have had BC so feel lucky not to have had to go through what you have been. 

I can tell you though that you will be doing the very best thing you can to protect yourself and I know the results will be great this surgery is amazing despite any setbacks I've had I would do it all again.

they can give other pain relief other than codeine. 

Its more discomfort than pain in the stomach but initially it feels frightening trying to get out of bed, you will feel you can't move a step, but by day four I was doing laps of the ward.

I didn't have much breast pain but the tummy is quite uncomfortable.

just remember that you will think you will never be able to manage but it quickly passes but rest rest rest and try and get walking even just laps of the house as soon as you can.

sl x

Ruth_Timms

Thanks so much for all the info. This really helps. I am dreading not being able to huggle my daughter but I know that I need to have this operation now. Don't know how you feel but once you have had cancer it seems like you can never put it behind you. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I hope this operation will allow me to move forward. Thanks again so much x
Ruth_Timms

Thanks. Just want it over I guess. I'm allergic to anything codeine based so was worried what they might give me. I'm glad to hear you say it was worth it even with some healing problems. Xx
sisterlylove

Hi Ruth

i had a double mastectomy with double diep recon in August 17.

you will need a lot of help when you come home to shower etc Especially first two weeks. it is especially hard with a double as you can't lift either arm. Fatigue is there for quite some time. My surgery was nearly 12 hours and I then had a further op 3 weeks later due to the would opening I lost a small portion of the breast!  But even with this I would def recommend,  the results are excellent BUT minor complications I think are quite common with double procedures.

you won't be able to have your little one even sit on your lap for few weeks and def not lift her up I would say at least 8 weeks from my expierience.

the first night is certainly the worst but mainly due to the heat if they use a bair hugger to keep you warm, take some flannels with you and get the nurses to wet them and put them on your forehead and neck as the heat is pretty intense.

it really is worth the recovery time and each day you will feel better but it is more difficulty having the double in terms of  needing more help when you come home.

if you need more info please ask and try not to worry the waiting is the worst bit. 

SL x

Ruth_Timms

Thanks for the info maryminder. Much appreciated. Good luck with your future surgery x
Ruth_Timms

Thanks Jay68. Good luck with the rest of your treatment and moving forward xx
Ruth_Timms

Thanks girly888. I appreciate all the info. Could i ask you about pain and pain relief. I was in a lot of pain after my first mastectomy and and pretty scared xx
Ruth_Timms

Thanks for replying. I am hoping my op date doesn't change. I have been told it might be put back because of flu admissions. I'll let you know how it goes and best of luck with getting through the chemo. One step at a time xx
Sib

Hi Ruth. Im too facing a further mastectomy and diep due to brca 2 gene. My surgery date is yet to be set as i havent finished chemo yet. I dont have same issues with young child as you doz, but was told by plastic surgeon first couple of days (in hospital) are worst and i would gradually improve ovet coming weeks. Wishing you all the very best for your op and recovery and would love to know how ot goes. Xx
Jay68
Community Champion

Hi Ruth - I'm from May 2017 Chemo monthly group and one of the ladies on our forum Rosie65 - I'm quite sure had this surgery - it might be worthwhile you browsing our group and maybe asking her your questions.  We are a friendly group of ladies and no-one will mind you asking your questions.

We are all approaching the end of our active treatments and we have lots of knowledge/experience between us now!

Good luck and hope someone is able to answer your concerns very soon x

maryminder

Hi Ruth

I can't answer your questions but there is a very good closed Facebook site for ladies who have had or are about to have reconstruction, I am sure you will get answers if you joined it's called Breast and Mastectomy Reconstruction Uk, I am seeing the Plastic Surgeons in Feb to discuss my options and it has ben very helpful for me.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Mary x

Ruth_Timms

Recovery after mastectomy and diep reconstrution

I have had a right side mastectomy previously and, having found out I have the BRCA2 gene mutation, I will be having an elective mastectomy and reconstruction on both sides (DIEP flap). Surgery will be Jan 13th.  I have a 2 year old daughter. We have no family support but I have my husbands support and offers of help from friends.

What I am trying to find out is a realistic idea of how long recovery will take and what I will be able to do by what time.  My husband wants to understand if he is looking after our daughter how much care he will need to provide me and what I will be able to do by myself.  He might be able to work from home some times but I may need to be left alone at others.

Also, when will I be able to lift my daughter etc etc.

Just hoping someone has experience of this and can give me a rough idea. I know recovery will be much longer than for my mastectomy as the surgery on my stomach will be major.

Thanks