cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNB scar pain

7 REPLIES 7

Re: SNB scar pain

Update:

Now 8 weeks on from SNB.  I can report that SNB Scar is now completly flat and I have started wearing normal (soft) bras again as they no longer irritate the scar - result!  The lump in armpit feeling is now less (there never was an egg under my arm  - it just felt like I was holding one...

Interesting - I was told not to massage!

Anyway, since starting this it has suddenly eased off - now, providing I don't try to war a bra I am OK.  Bra-wearing sets it off again becuase of where the side fo the bra sits - along the scar. SO I am sticking with the crop tops.  The lumpiness is also fading so maybe things are moving along

Also like you, tight seams in armit are a no-no - it always feels like a tight seam now anyway (nerves regenerating?)

Boob Pain is going to be an issue soon again anyway as I am going back for a second op to get rid of  the pre-cancer they found in the margins. one step at a time my family keep telling me

Hello Willowherb, sorry to hear you are still having pain. I'm 10 weeks post op, I had a lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed, right side. I won't say I'm totally pain free, I still have a slight discomfort just under my arm, but find the more I use my arm carefully, the less pain I feel. I've got some of those sport type bras, with removal padding, bought them in Asda for £6, they are quite soft and I was able to start wearing them around six week period, slightly small discomfort, but far more comfortable than trying to wear an ordinary boneless bra. My physio nurse told me to gently stroke the scar, from the elbow downwards with the arm up it becomes less sensitive and doing it with the arm up helps to avoid fluid build up, but to be honest, 3 weeks is very early to be pain free and it was at least six weeks before I started to really feel the improvement. If I'm indoors I wear a slouchy sleevless top under a blouse, no rubbing at all under my arm, but going out I wear the bra. I also bought some low sleeve blouses and wing back blouses, I found seams were really uncomfortable and made the scar feel sore. From what people have said, it appears that the lymph node scar is lumpy at the ends mine is, but my friend had the same op and two years on, hers has become quite flat. I'm afraid like any op, it's a case of time and patience, not my best virtue. But today at ten weeks I am decorating, very slowly painting with a roller and using both hands, to take the pressure of my right arm and no pain from the scar at all. Keep moving the arm, it will help prevent fluid build up. I used to sit and read or watch television, while moving my arm over my head slowly and gently, I've been told that's why the pain got better. Hope some of this helps.

Hello Appletree (we are very horticultural here...)

Strangely I didn't get given any exercises, but did print them off here.  However, when I realsied I was doing nearly everything listed for week 2 without thinking on the first day post-op (slapped wrists from family!) I haven't really thought of exercises as my mobility was the same as before the op .

The sensation I get is of a too small armhole in a shirt which is just sensation coming back. However, the scar itself is right on the bra line so just rubs horriibly unless I wear a crop top which comes up higher than a bra.

As you say, I shall embrace the scar. And crop tops aren't so bad - so comfortable and don't have seams where they shouldn't and seem to keep the now lumpy bits in place!

Next op is soon, so the lumpy bits will be even lumpier

Cheers

Morning Willowherb

I hope you've had a good night.

Did your BCN give you post-op exercises to do? Gentle ones might help the scar to settle a bit. There is a very good chart produced by Breast Cancer Care entitled 'Exercises after breast cancer surgery' which takes you through simple warm-up routines that really do help upper arms and armpits to gently return to life. I still use them every morning to ease aches and pains.

Somewhere I read a note of caution about massage; I think we're advised not to massage wound sites in case this encourages accumulation of fluid. Perhaps your BCN is the best person to advise.

So, all I can suggest for now is hang on to your scar and make a friend of it!

(Sorry, I have a rather off-beat sense of humour but it gets me through.)

Best wishes

HI Appletree

Yes my armpit is still not feeling like the other side.

Don't worry about sounding unsympathetic - the trauma to your armpit was much worse than mine. I just hope for both of us that it does settle in the end.

I have a cold and developed a hacking cough yesterday and had to hang onto the scar as it felt like it was about to give way every time I went for it!

Do you thing massaging the scar would do any good?

I am now 5 months post-op and the axillary clearance scar is still feeling very lumpy, as though two lots of flesh were drawn together and stitched tightly, which is probably what happened. It seems this is a permanent feature. Numbness under my armpit and in my upper left arm also appear to be permanent features.

That was not meant to sound unsympathetic to your discomfort; I do hope your own scar settles down soon. Even so, it could be that some level of scar discomfort is likely to be permanent.

Oh dearie me.

SNB scar pain

I am now 3 weeks post-op and the scar is really playing me up still.  I have never had post-op scars before so no idea what to expect

It's not red just a bit lumpy on either side. The BS said I had healed really well.

However, it's still quite painful and wearing a proper bra is still out of the question as the edge of the bra sits right on the scar and rubs away at it.  M & S crop tops come right over the scar and are sooo comfy

I tried putting a tissue over the edge but the tissue migrated and the pain returned...

Any tips anyone? How long will the scar be lumpy? (definition of lumpy is slightly swollen along both sides of the incision.)