cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleeping post surgery

6 REPLIES 6
Jencat

Re: Sleeping post surgery

Quaggie, I had a different op than you (WLE) so that might make a difference,  but I managed to still use my basic M&S bras. I bought a bra expander from Wilkinsons (only about £2) so that my bra was bigger and I found that comfortable x

Quaggie

Good to hear you're healing up well Swimmer - I thought dressings came off much quicker but I've still a lot to learn! 

Thanks for the bra advice - I started to read the thread on the board about it but there were so many different opinions and options that it was a bit bewildering!  But I'll look up the ones you recommend.  I've been wearing the same style M&S basic bras for so many years that going elsewhere is a bit daunting!! I also need to buy tops that do up at the front as pretty much every top I own has to be pulled over my head.  This is going to be an expensive business with cancer lark! 

Wishing you well xx 

swimmer

Hi,

I am not sure if the reason is to do with fluids. I didn't have any drains or any signs of fluid.  I have just had all the dressings removed and now things feel a bit more vulnerable - quite prickly and smarting. However everything is healing well according to the surgeon. Things are definitely not helped by the hot weather! I would also add take painkillers as recommended. I only took combined paracetamol and ibrufen and that was sufficient.  I took them round the clock for two days and then just as and when. Have you managed to get some decent bras? It is difficult when you don't know what size you will be. I have some excellent bras from Nicola Jane - the theraport bra and the silver bra - expensive but they have been worth it. I have bought quite a few and then sent the ones that don't fit back. They are really stretchy and front fastening - very soft too.

Jxx

Lilacmoon14

Hi there, 

After my surgery for my lumpectomy I got one of the V shaped pillows and found it really lovely. I guess it's just a case of finding the best way to prop yourself up! 

I had my surgery on the 3rd May but right now Im dealing with the S/Es of radiotherapy and still using Paolo the Pillow to soften the blow as I'm not able to lay on my boob at all, the area is very tender. 

Stay comfie xx

Quaggie

Thanks Swimmer - that's good to know.  My notes on the surgery say I can sleep on my side after 2-3 days but not on my stomach.  I'll try and get more details from the BC nurse when I next speak to her, to see if I can turn on my side a bit.  When I had the mammotome biopsy I was quite sore so I slept on my side with a big towel wedged under my arm so it wasn't resting on my breast and that helped.  I guess the not sleeping on your side is to do with any liquids settling in wrong places, not sure?

I guess I'll be buying a lot more pillows! 

swimmer

Hi,

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty, lump removal and sentinel node biopsy on 27th June. I had exactly the same concerns as you as I also sleep on my side and sometimes even on my front!  I also worry about sleep, or the lack of it! To start with I made a nest of about seven pillows and found that I could at least turn to my side in that position without creating any pressure. I tried a V shaped pillow too, but didn't find that successful. I gradually reduced the cushions over a period of a week or so. I found it was much quicker than I thought ( I don't think much more than a week) to return to sleeping on my  favoured side with just one cushion. I do have a bit of discomfort but it doesn't really stop me sleeping now. I also think if possible try to catch up a bit with afternoon naps if you can and find it helpful.

Good luck with it all. I have been delighted with the results of my mammoplasty. It has been a silver lining to the cloud!

Jxx 

Quaggie

Sleeping post surgery

Minor question but does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to get comfortable sleep post surgery (I'm having a therapeutic mammoplasty)?  

The only way I can fall asleep normally is lying on my side, almost on my stomach and I know this isn't allowed after surgery.  I just can't fall asleep lying on my back and I'm really worried I won't get the sleep I need to recover properly.

Anyone got any thoughts/suggestions? 

Thanks

K x