So Disappointed End of chemo for TNBC and no shrinkage

Nearing the end of neo adjuvant chemo for TNBC … 5 x FEC followed by 12 weeks carbo/paclitaxel …today I had last but one treatment of paclitaxel followed by appointment with surgeon who arranged ultrasound. My 18mm tumour has not shrunk much at all!! He says that it looks less dense and is unable to now feel it … I have never been able to. So upset !

Hi Tompa31

Thanks for posting. Hopefully other Fourm users will reply to your post soon. If you would like to talk things through, our breast care nurses are available Mond-Fri 9am-4pm and Sat 9am-1pm. The number if 0808 800 6000. We’re closed for the bank holiday and open again on Tuesday morning.

Best wishes
Nik

Forum administrator

Hello tompa31,

i can can understand how you must be very upset about this, I had a recurrence within twelve months of my last chemo in 2011 and all the pain and misery of fec T felt at the time somewhat pointless. For me though, I do believe that chemo contributed massively to the almost seven cancer free years I have had before my recent recurrence I am dealing with now (my 2011 was a recurrence as well) and importantly while you may not see much change in your tumour it has affected and changed it somewhat, and this is really important, the chemo has most likely killed off any stray or straggling cells elsewhere so when you have your surgery hopefully that’s it, you can be done with it!

i know it’s hard to put a positive spin on things at times like this, but I thought you might appreciate some support!

Ruby.x

ps - I am just about to do six months of Carboplatin with weekly Paclitaxel, how was it for you?

Sorry you are disappointed with surgeons comment.

its not an easy road we travel…

how were your side effects on Carbo/Paclitaxel ?  Like Ruby i am also due to start this treatment. ?

Hi Tompa31

I was in the May 2017 chemotherapy monthly group and there was a lady in our group who had TNBC and she was, I believe, on the same regime of chemo that you have just finished.  The lump was still there  but the cancer within had decreased.  Once you’ve had surgery you will feel better.

After surgery the lady I know was put on an oral chemo tablet (Cape) for about 6 months just as a back up and because she was triple negative - there is no other form of targetted therapy.

We’re now 2 years on and we’ve all found a new “normal” self.  She is doing really well.

Keep strong - keep positive - you will beat this horrid disease… x