376146posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

kittenkat

Re: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

mumszy - I'm glad its done and out of the way so thats good and hope the next 8 days or so are too!! Keep well, mary x

mumszy

Kittenkat how you feeling after your last dose?? You lucky thing but hey Ive only got 5 to go....! Just feeling pukey and lethargic so snugling with Benjamin Button.
xx

kittenkat

hi Sonia - so is this your last one then? I have my last tax today and the start rads in 3wks or so....and will able to have my hickman line out too soon - sooner the better so I will be ringing xray all the time to chase them - in some hospitals the chemo nurses can take them out so thats a pity.....mary x keep well everyone!!

laura64

hi all well had my last white cell jab today im hoping to not ache so much after that otherwise im a lot better than i was day 9 today so spose not to bad no taste buds all foods tasteless water yuk what fun we have to go through but a what choice do we have see my onc on 30 so hoping he might tell me something take care all hope your day goes well xx

RhodaBee

Hi Sonia - I'm at a very similar stge to you with all of this. I'm 55,was diagnosed in Feb this year, had 4 EC, 2 taxotere and like you dreading number three which is next Tuesday. I've just got home after 24 hours in hospital because of a raised temp due to a cough and sore throat. Been given lots of IV antibiotics and fluids and sent home with oral antibiotics. (Hospital very good to me) Feeling a lot better than I did 2 days ago.

I will be having a mastectomy followed by radiotherapy.

Hi Snoogle I like your comment about accepting a new kind of normal - I think I'm hankering too hard after normal normal.

Best wishes to you all. X

snoogle

Hi Sonia,

Welcome to our thread and little part of the world and also sorry that you are in a position to join us.

Wind, yes it's probably the only chance I have to talk about it. There are only so many times you can clench your buttocks!

Could your oncologist give you something for the muscles and joint pains; I have dicoflenac slow release from the morning of the day I have my neulasta injection (day after chemo) and then take it morning and evening for about five days. Didn't have it for first few cycles, but it has helped a lot since. Just had my 5th cycle yesterday, 1 or 3 more to go, a decision on the exact numuber will be made after my next scan which is after my next cycle. Then it's onto herception only for as long as it works.

Hope you keep in touch.

Snoogle
x

icietla

Hello all,

I am new here and I live in Montreal (Canada). My mother tongue is French so please forgive some of my grammar mistakes 😉

This is the most interesting forum I've seen on breast cancer. You are all great and your sense of humor through all this is fantastic.

I am 53 and I've been diagnosed in January and been on chemo since Feb. I dread my 3rd treatment, which is tomorrow. The first Tax was horrible, sore mouth for 10 days and pain in muscles and joints. Second treatment was not so bad, since I managed the pain with Advil and a pain killer, and the sore mouth with "Magic mouthwash" (not Magic, really but it helps) before it all started. I was doing ok for the first couple of days and then... skin peeling off my right hand, a sudden drop in blood pressure and a skin allergic reaction to the glue on the plastic bandage that covers my pick line. Other than that, I'm fine 🙂

After that, one more treatment to go, then mastectomy with complete lymph nodes removal, radiotherapy... then I will take a looooong vacation.

I hope you are all doing well and can't wait to read you all !

Sonia

francescap29

I LOVE that we can talk about wind on here 🐵 My girlfriends just sort of look at me in disgust. Thanks for the tip-off, that Lactulose is hopeless. Strangely my taste hasn't changed and nor has my appetite so I think I am one of the lucky ones .. thanks again x

Little_H

Hi Francescap29

The only thing that works for me is Movicol (and try to drink lots of water,difficult when everything tastes horrible!)
I never got on with lactulose,found it too sweet and side effects very unpleasant (ie very smelly wind.....sorry,but you started it!)

All the best,

Little H xx

francescap29

anyone else had tummy troubles?? i thought i was sailing through (7 days after FEC and no major probs) except i can't go to the loo and nothing will digest (sorry to be graphic!) i look like i'm pregnant and it's really uncomfortable! pharmacist prescribed lacsutose (or something like that) but it's not helping and i cannot even look at another flipping dried apricot ... any advice gratefully received!

snoogle

HI,

The white cell stuff gives me really bad pain, worse than flu, for a few days. Have been prescribed rhumalgon (spelling!) to help me cope with that, but unfortunately that gives me constipation, which would be good if it counteracted the diahorrea, but it goes much further than that. Ok, too much information! My kids have told me not to apologise for my flatulence any more as its getting boring! hehe!

I think you have to accept a new kind of 'normal' for a week or two. I am sure most of us crave the normal normal, but that's just wishful thinking during chemo.

I do hope things get better, you should start working out what works best for you and what you can do to make things better.

I have my 5th chemo and hercepting tomorrow. I know the next week is going to be hell, but more importantly my family do too so they know to step up a gear in looking after me, themselves and the house for a week or so. I am really annoyed that I will be unwell on Sunday as it is Father's Day and me and the kids really wanted to take him out somewhere to say a big thank you for how well he has coped since my diagnosis earlier in the year. This disease is so unfair!

This chemo stuff may be awful, but for now at least it is doable.

Snoogle
x

laura64

hi yes hubbie went to hos this morning got me some mouth wash and gel so have to wait and see also im achy cos of white cell inj so they say so im hoping to feel a lot a better soon sorry to moan just want to be normal if you know what i mean

snoogle

Hi Laura, sorry for misunderstanding. Has your oncologist or doctor prescribed anything for your sore mouth. I was prescribed a mouthwash prior to treatment because I had facial surgery a few years back which made the potential for mouth problems more of a risk. I have been lucky because I am only just getting a sore mouth after cycle 4. It takes me 7-10 days from chemo to feeling 'normal' again. Always worth getting advice from the hospital if you are concerned, even if the net result is just to put your mind at rest. Hope you begin to feel better soon. By the way I am on Taxotere/Carboplatin and Herceptin, so a different cocktail to you.

Snoogle
x

laura64

Snoogle hi no sorry was sick after fec i managed the cold cap didnt find it to bad but am finding the side effects hard i now have a sore mouth hurts like hell cant eat etc joints ach which i think is also to do with fec any one else had this just have no energy day 7 now i thought i should feel with it bit more now might call hosp and check oh and v moody lol xx

sho

Hi New here, but though I'd add my tuppence worth...

Going for my 3rd chemo tomorrow. I used the cold cap for the the first 2, though had a few tears before the 2nd one as I really didn't want to use it again. I've lost a lot of hair, especially on top, although I still have a lot at the sides and can get away with wearing a wide hairband, which I suppose is good after 6 weeks.

But I've decided not to bother with cold cap tomorrow.
I'm not sure why I hated it so much - it's certainly uncomfortable but only really bad for the first half hour. I think it's more psychological, at least for me, as it makes your stay in hospital much longer.

I'm moving onto Taxotere after 4 treatments of Epirubicin and have ben told that Tax is pretty hard on your hair, so I'm glad I've decided not to use it anymore, but I suppose I still have doubts about if I'm doing the right thing.

Sho

snoogle

Hi Laura, sorry it was so bad for you. my cycles have varied in physical and emotional reactions, so please don't think they will all be this bad. was unsure in your comment, but were you sick whilst you had the cold cap on? there was a lady who had one on during one of my cycles and she was sick, apparently had been every time, but she had kept her hair. I tried the cold cap on when I went to visit the onc unit prior to treatment starting, well almost tried it on. took it off before the nurse had completely put it on. I got an immediate headache, brain freeze! Have lost quite a lot of my hair, but I am not bothered about wearing a headscarf. I have got some wigs, but they are too hot for me in the current weather.

I do hope things improve for you.

Snoogle
x

laura64

hi all well i managed the cold cap but unf was sick bout 15 times back to hos next day for drip and more sickness pills sore mouth started today and lke some emotions all over the place crying one min screaming the next still feal sick here and there im finding it hard to but am trying my best to be normal well as normal as we can have gd day xx

Little_H

Hi Marble,

Just wanted you to know that I got through my EC. Yes,it was bloody awful at times but I did it! I'm having 4xPaclitaxel now,my 2nd is tomorrow,but I can't believe how ok I felt after the first one 2 weeks ago,haven't got off scott free but not suffering so much with lack of energy or stomach pains.
I never really thought about not having chemo,I've got triple negative BC so for me it seemed the only option.
I fully understand about the hair,mine's been long for years and though I try not to check every 5 mins to see if it's growing back yet it's very difficult.I actually found losing the hair harder than being bald,once it's gone etc but the transition stage is messy and looks untidy.I didn't try the coldcap,I'm not good with cold,and couldn't have coped with the disappointment if it hadn't worked.
Please continue to use this forum,it's certainly helped me ,answered my questions and provided lots of support.
We're all here to listen,and you will get through this

Lots of love
Little H xx

francescap29

Hi JanetD, wow so perhaps I should have stuck with it after all - it just made my eyes stream continuously and I knew I was going to struggle for the full 3 hours. Luckily I have my wig and scarves sorted already and am beginning to come round to the idea now ... if it's good enough for Kylie!

Marble - just to add to Janet's point, do seriously seek all the help and support you can get, I didn't realise just how much is out there. I am also seeing a counsellor now, through the Breast Cancer Haven which has been an absolute gem of a place to discover. Don't know where you are, but they have centres in London, Leeds and Hereford and are all geared up to help people with loads of fab complementary therapies to aide chemo side-effects, all free too and the therapists are completely brilliant. Worth a look online, it's http://www.breastcancerhaven.org.uk.

Keep talking - soon this really all will be a distant memory, I am presonally breaking it all into chunks and now I'm already 1/6 of the way. Rads next but don't suppose that will be as traumatic as these nasty drugs?! x

JanetD

Hi Francescap29 - just thought it may help to hear from someone who successfully used the cold cap throughout my 8 chemo sessions. The first 15-20 minutes is the hardest, but you do get used to it and it worked for me, although I know it doesn't for everyone. My shoulder-length hair is still intact, although quite a bit thinner, but absolutely fine. Strangers can't believe I've had chemo. It's not pleasant but may be worth considering persevering.

Marble, the main thing is don't beat yourself up about how you're feeling. I hit rock bottom following my 4th chemo session and said I wouldn't have any more. My Oncologist spent an hour listening and talking to me, not patronising or bullying me, but truly understanding my feelings. I was so distressed about my hair thinning, the side effects I was having and long term recovery and he talked me through each concern. I left with a new determination to see it through, which I did, as well as an appointment with a Counsellor for additional support. My BCN is also wonderful. Please try to call on everyone you can to help you through this - if I can do it anyone can! I'm returning to work on Monday and feel quite proud of myself for getting here.

Hope this helps some way and good luck!

Janet xx

marble1966

Hi all,

had 2nd dose of FEC last week. using cold cap but am stil loosing hair. 1st time ended up bk in hosp due to contant vomiting, this time they tried giving anti sickness tablets at same time as chemo
which worked for the 1st day and since then I have had same as LITTLE H, cinstant stomach ache, diahorrea plus being sick and feeling sick. Didnt want chemo in the first place as had no spread to lymph glands and cant stand the thought of another 4 sessions.
Has anybody else stopped their treatment early? Alll everyone keeps saying is "your hair will grow back and stay strong etc, etc but it isnt them going through it. Am I FEELING SORRY FOR MYSELF AT THIS MOMENT, YES VERY MUCH SO LOL!

The hair loss is awful, and when I washed my hair a huge clump had
stuck together, so I had to cut if off with scissors, no amount of
conditioner would prise it apart! I now have a patch on top of my hair 1/2" long. Going to wig shop hopefully once feel better and not looking forward to it one bit. Dreading going into work with everyone looking and staring.

Sorry to sound so negative, but am really finding this part hard to cope with. Some people seem to be able to carry on as normal and get on with, but I am really struggling. Finding it an effort just to get out of bed!

francescap29

Hi laura, i had my first chemo session yesterday and tried the cold cap. i really thought i'd be able to stand it but NO WAY, not for over 3 hours. I think i lasted about 20 mins!! Pathetic!! if you can do it, you are allowed to take painkillers so bear that in mind. i was DEVASTATED at the the thought of losing my hair but now have resigned myself to it, the cold cap would only have saved somed of it anyway and if your hair goes all see through and thin, it's hardly worth having is it?! found a great website http://www.scarfstudio.co.uk - worth a look just in case you need a back-up. good luck today xx

laura64

hi im due to start chemo tue and said id give the cold cap a try just wondering how other people have got on with it is it worth trying ive heard its uncomfy any tips wld be gd thanks laura xx

beverleys

Thanks Mary - you're right, I was working myself up so much yesterday that I nearly passed out when they put the cannula in!
Feeling positive and remarkably with it this morning - I am so glad it's all underway.

Bev

kittenkat

hi bev - I put a reply on the other one too - you'll feel better once the first one is over....take care, mary x

beverleys

Thanks Jo - I'll remember that. Friends and family have been amazing so far but it is nice to talk to people going through the same thing as you.
Bev

Jo_BCC

Hi Bev,

Don't forget that if you feel you need some extra support the helpline here offers an excellent 'listening ear' you can ask them anything, they're here to help you through this.

Take care.

Jo, Facilitator

beverleys

Hello - I've really enjoyed reading through this thread - I'm starting my first FEC this afternoon and not being able to sleep much last night, have been on here reading through others experiences and jotting down the tips. Thanks to everyone for sharing 🐵

Bev

kittenkat

hi ann-marie - you're due the same regime as me 3 x fec and 3 x tax, I'm due second tax next week and then 1 left - way hey!!! Once it starts its better as you do dread it all but the nurses are so good and reassuring etc and keep posting here too...re the change, my periods haven't gone as yet but might do now with the tax, who knows.....mary x

Ann_marie44

Hi everyone , like so many of you i have breast cancer ,just come out of the operation 2 weeks ago and about to visit the oncologist tomorrow ,.....I should then find out when my chemo starts , must say i wasn,t looking forward to it but happy to find this site as some of your topics have answered a few of my questions , so can i just say thanks for that . I also am due to have mixed chemo 3 sessions of FEC and 3 of TAXO , has anyone had any affects of going through the change ? ie hot flushes and all ? Would be interested to know .
Anyway Thanks again for all the info ,great site and great ppl too!x

ginnyg

Hi there
I've printed down these tips and they have been very helpful. I'm now on my second chemo of seven (changing cocktails half way through!) and the fatigue has been the biggest SE. What I have done, and maybe it's physcological, apart from keep a diary, is to really change my diet to a very healthy low fat BIO diet and drinking about 2 litres of water per day and no toxins, like alcohol, coffee, builder's tea etc - I do drink herbal teas. I have found it easier than I thought I would, but I also, this month, with the OK from the hospital, have started taking a natural remedy called SPIRULINA, which is meant to build the immune system and help with the fatigue. So far so good (although not holding my breath!. My white blood cells are much better than they were this time last chemo - so who knows!
Ginny x

everydaymatter

hi there
just found a useful site which as a video explaining about going through chemo.dont know how to do link so address is -www.healthination.com/affiliate/answers/wiki/chemotherapy_hope its ok to recommend this.
take carex

cloudhowe

Hi there

Sorry I have been awol - lost hte bloddy thread, didn't I!!

Had my 3rd FEC on Good Friday - AND ABSOLUTLY NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL. Was out last night and had 3 guinesses, ate jar of mussels ( I know, I know) and a tub of coldslaw - they stange tasy things I enjoy!

Okilydokily, this thread is tips, and I have found some really helpful tips.

I had HORRENDOUS constipation on first course. Took a solution of * movical to sort.

Answer - Majool dates!!!! They are called the king of dates and are available from supermarkets. They taste like toffee - they use them in sticky toffee pudding! Take 2 with a pint of hot tea a couple of time a day and SORTED ...

Nausea - crystalised ginger. A HUGE bag from Hollland and Barrett cast about £2.50 tastes great and I have not needed any antiemetics AT ALL, save the stuff at chemo.

I also take 1000 of Vitamen D a day to boost immune levels - oncy OKed it. Standard procedure in the US. Again Holland and Barret - £4.99 for enough to see me through chemo. Boosts for bones, hence your white blood count.

For washing (especially the wound left by SNB and boob work) Australian Body Care Body and Face wash. I have the most sensitive skin in the world and it is gentle - and anticeptic - but so gentle you enough to use on the face, avoiding eyes!)

For bruising I have always used Arnica gel, slap in on the hand as soon as I get home from chemo and not a tell tale bruise in sight.

When no appetite, took unsalted nuts for protein. Barzil nuts (chocolate covered) walnuts and raw peanuts. You can just nibble. Also Dried fruit - raisins etc.

Aloe Vera for sore skin. I have a big plant that get 'trimmed' regularly, but a 500ml tube (huge) cost £4.99 also from Holland and Barrett. It's 99.9% pure hand filleted gel.That's in the fridge, waiting for the rads)

Burning oils - yes girls, sound like a new age freak, am a bit, but trying to keep my chemicl intake to the unavoidable chemo and Guiness as my chemicals!

Ok Lucozade for energy - feeling tres fitiguee almost all the time. Can't be helped.

Havent lost my brows at all! thought the odd wee stray just floats out if I pluck .. kept some lashes. Mine are about 1/2 an inch and the strong springy ones have gone bye buy, but still can get enough Max Factor on to make my look not too unlike myself. Dont want to scare the neighbours or the family.

I might need some TAX after surgery. yet to be decided. Suppose everything is at this stage.

I had a horrible infection for a fortnight so set everything back, but so much better now. 2 lots of antibiotics later ..

Blessings and the Happiest of Easter Sundays to you all!!!!

Love and lollipops

Annie xx

Susanne_A

I'm starting on 21st, with 3 FEC then 3 Tax. I'm sort of looking forward to it - it's another stage in the fight, zapping any little buggers who thought they'd got away. And it's that much closer to getting it over with - roll on mid-August! Might even have my hair back by Xmas.

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies start chemo this Friday dreading it but thanks for the tips im sure ill need them lol.
lisa x

lynnbar

Hi there all
Nettie, coming up to my second FEC and hair coming out same as you. Have lost hair from most of the rest of my body, but not eyelashes and eyebrows yet. My chemo nurse says not everyone does, be interes ted to know if you do. Gone down with a cold this week and popping anti biotics like mad, hope my wcc is not too low to go ahead with next dose.
Like you been suffering from constipation, just about conquereing it with diet and senna tablets and now the anti biotics made it worse again!!!
Little H sorry you have not beens so good, I tend to drink fizzy flavoured water, not sure it that is any good for you, find that helps with with stomach aches as well.
Lynn xx

Dee

Hi cloudhowe
All the best with your 2nd FEC on Friday. I have just been dx with bone mets so I am starting my 1st infusion of Pamidronate on Friday too.
I had my FEC in 2006. I could sit on my hair, so to feel in control, I went and chopped it off turning it shoulder length! It is not vain or trivial to feel that sense of loss. Yes, lost my lashes and eyebrows. Only good thing it makes your skin baby-soft! I used a cold-cap but still lost it. Apparently, everyone on FEC loses the hair, so there is not much point going through the cold-cap agony on top of everything else! There is something called 'look good feel better' makeover. They teach you how to put make-up on to hide that gaunt look we get when having chemo. They were wonderful and showed me how to put a browline where the loss was. See if you have that in your area. As a pamper session, they give you a 'goodie bag' to help that saggy look. All the best.
Dee x

Little_H

Hi Ladies,
It's not been a week yet since my 1st chemo but I was wondering about my stomach ache,I feel as if I've been kicked in the guts and along with the nausea it's getting me down abit.It never goes away,is this just how it is?
Another thing,I must have been given a dodgy batch of Dexamethsone,I was hoping to have boundless energy after what I'd read,husband had made a huge list of diy possibilities for me,but I spend the whole day yawning and looking forward to bedtime! Not made it past 9pm all week.
I know I'm not drinking enough either,gone off my usual cuppa tea and water has a strange taste,any tips greatly received.
Thanks everyone,
Love Little H

cloudhowe

Hi chaps,

Looking thruthe post it looks like quite a few of you were on FEC, like moi meme.

Hair is now moulting like my long haired cats and scalp is strangle sore - ish.

Getting 2nd FEC on Friday.

Did you guys also lose your brows and lashes?

I wish I had found this thread before I started treatment, becasue all I had read of was diahorrea, so I had stoked up on Immodium!!!

I had awful, terrible constipation, needed glycerin suppositories and ended up passing blood - even if I passed wind (apologies) I bled a bit. I was really surprised because I was super hydrated and lived on smoothies (home made - bought a smootie maker in my big "cancer shop" - not the almost spirtual retail experience it normally is) fruit, probiotics etc. Prepared this time.

Would love your feedback on losing your facial hair, my eyes are so much my identity that I will look reallly different without my brows and lashes. God that sounds both vain and trivial!!! And I'm neither.

Your posts are fabbie and helpful and - yes - the waiting is the hardest part, to quote the old song. The treatment is whatwe expect, but we are strong and it is eminantly doable. I had the SNB and chemo within a week so I must be physically strong for them to put me through that.

Hope you all have a restful night and love and lollipops to you all!!

Nettie xx

pineapple

Little H, i have pm'd you

Little_H

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give you all an update.Gill,great to hear (excuse the pun!),about Trevor Sorbie as I'm havin my wig fitting with him on the 17th March,looking forward to it,feel like a celebrity all ready! I had my long hair cut short two days ago at his salon in Covent Garden by a lovely chap,Daniel,he's part of the My New Hair set up....it's an excellent cut but of course after 30 yrs with it long it takes a bit of getting used to.
Yesterday was my 1st chemo session.....hmmmmm,what can I say,not great,it didn't start off to well as they were so busy I had to wait,watching everyone else in the chemo room,for 2hours,I know it's not their fault but when it's your first time and you just want them to get on with it,it was pretty difficult.Then the nurse took one look at my arm and said "oh this is gonna be challenging", I had to soak my arm in hot water to encourage the veins but when the 1st attempt failed ,my bottom lip went and I couldn't stop shaking,I was given a lorazepam,which helped and they managed to get the second one in.
It was fine after that.When I got home I felt fairly tired and was sick once,but today I'm more or less ok,just abit tired,persistant stomach ache and nauseous feeling,but bearable.
Upshot of all this is I'm having a PICC put in next time which should make life much easier.
I hope I've not scared anyone,once the canula is in it's fine and all the nurses were lovely.
Good luck to all of you starting this week,and let me know how you get on,
love Little H

JaneRA

In my experience (3 times bald) wigs always need cutting . Trendco in Brighton also do a fabulous cutting service.

I'm a fan of wigs and think they need delivering from a bad press..as do flat non reconstructed chests and prostheses.

Jane

GillH23

Morning ladies

just wanted to pass on a tip to help with how you might feel about wigs, I had my wig restyled by none other than Trevor Sorbie last week and it looks much more like me. Check out his web site mynewhair.org.uk
to see if there is a saloon near you that offers this service, he has been training stylists from all over country so they can offer wig
restyling or you may be able to see him in London or Brighton.

Other tip re; Dexamthasone, try to take all your daily dose before midday to reduce risk of broken nights sleep and ask GP for short course of sleeping tablets for the nights when you are taking Dex
G x

chicknz

Hi I had my first lot of FEC yesterday. It wasn't as emotional as I had worked myself up to be. No obvious side effects yet except from the Dexamethsone. I was up at 1am reroofing the house, digging the swimming pool, making school lunches, making jelly for dessert and to top that off some ironing! Has anyone had a problem with being WIRED? Geez-I really have to get these meds tweaked as I am letting the real Sarah down! My husband will think that this chemo is a bit of a lark and will wonder what all the fuss is about when I crash and burn. Spoke to the chemo nurse this morning and have dropped my dexa down to just one today. Thank goodness as I was going to tackle the neighbours hedge! I do have a rather red shiny face-could be put out in the harbour as a warning beacon-which is apparently another SE from the steriods. Also I forgot rather away with the fairies too. I have had long blonde curly highlighted locks for years and had my friend cut it to a short bob with her sewing scissors last week to ease into the impending loss. Apparently it looks fab. My 11 year boy is slightly worried but the 6 year old can't wait until his Mum goes bald! He also thinks that my door bell (portacath) is a great fashion accessory. Anyway I am 40years dx 23/12/08 (Merry Christmas) partial 15/01/09 triple neg grade 3 no nodes. I'm up for x3 FEC, x3 Taxotere and 5 weeks rads. Roll on next year. Oh I live in NZ.Good luck to all the new chemos.
PS If you need some night time cleaning done in three weeks time-you know where to find Sadie!

lynnbar

Hi there
Just wanted to say had my long blond tinted locks cut off 2 weeks ago, apparantly look 10yrs younger!!! Not sure how I will look with no hair, but hey ho.
Started last week, no where near as bad as I had made myself believe it would be, bit of a reaction on the day, since then mostly been very tired and a bit away with the fairies (some would say nothing new there!). Not sure will get away with that the next time but one day at a time.
Having a Hickman line put in today as my nurse says have a medical term 'crap veins', not looking forward to it, but I am sure it will be much less traumatic when it is in, save the pin cushion effect. Good luck to you about to start, be good to know how you all get on
lynn xx

Kaz11

Hi LittleH

Snap - at 46 I too am trying to feel better about the hair loss thing by seeing it as an opportunity to go for something different - having been stuck ina rut with the same highlighted blonde locks for as many years as i can remember!

My wig is short and dark and the complete opposite to my normal hair but I thought as my hair is likely to grow back wuite dark adn obviously short I might as well get used to it now and it actually does suit me which I was really surpised about 🙂

Good luck with your first treatment - looks like there are a few of us due to begin around the same time so it will be nice to keep in touch

Cheers
Kaz x

Little_H

Hi Kaz,JanetD & KittenKat,

I'm having something called EC-accelerated Taxol chemo,four cycles of the first 2 drugs,then four of Taxol.Decided against the cool cap,I'm not sure how successful it is and figure the chemo is gonna be uncomfortable and long enough as it is without enduring an ice-cream type headache as well,but it's obviously a personal decision.
Having my hair cut on Wed (day before 1st chemo),I've had long hair for years but figure at 44 maybe this is a chance to re-invent myself as a trendy new chick,and it doesn't really matter if I hate it as it's probably gonna fall out anyway!!
Also having a wig fitting on Mar 17th (hope I don't look like a drag queen).
One of the things I'm most worried about is putting in the cannula,they always seem to have a job with my veins,I think once that's in I'll relax abit.
You can't help wondering which of the long list of "possible" side effects you might get,it's all so unknown.
I'm so sorry Kaz that you're having to deal with this again,I do think about the possibility of it returning but I know I can't live my life like that and you have to live for the present.
I'll let you know how the 1st session goes,and as my beloved always tells me,"remember,even the longest day can't last forever".....and, no, he's never gone through chemo!

Lots of love,
Little H

kittenkat

hi - me too, I'm starting next week, 3 x fec then 3 x tax chemo....having a picc line put in on tuesday...mary x

Kaz11

Hi Janet
I too am about to start 6 x FEC chemo on 19th March. Very scared too but I am trying to be positive and the fear of the unknown is usually very much worse than the actual reality so I really believe once we start the treatment we will find it is not as bad as we feared.

Losing my hair was also an upsetting thought but I have organised a great wig which makes me feel so much better about things so if you haven't already done so I urge you to do this as soon as possible - it really will help you feel better about the hair loss

Keep in touch and let me know when your first chemo is

love Kaz

JanetD

Hi, I'm new here. I was diagnosed in December, had left mastectomy and sentinal node biopsy 17th Dec, then lymph node clearance 27th Jan as micro mastases found in first 2 nodes, but all others (20) were clear. Recovered really well and saw Oncologist today who recommended I have 6 chemo sessions, then tablets for 5 years. How can I not when it improves my chances beyond 10 years by 30%? My head's in a whirl right now and I'm really scared about side effects of chemo and losing my hair.

These tips have been very useful but I am so worried.