Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide local excision scar

15 REPLIES 15
Betty boop

Re: Wide local excision scar

Hello Appletree,

Yes, I have a lovely team of BCNs and I saw my surgeon yesterday. She is happy with my scar and it has healed well but as I said I have severe bruising from the aspirations. The bruising she said may delay the radiotherapy. I have my planning at the NCCC on Wednesday and hopefully they'll say it can go ahead.

I'm about 6 miles from NCCC, husband is taking me and have already got transport arranged for when adjuvant starts.

Have started using arnica ointment to try and reduce bruising, I must say though, I am one of those people who bruise easily and last for a long time!

Take care

Appletree

Have you been assigned to a Breast Care Nurse, Betty boop? She could advise.

Your first radiotherapy session should be an assessment and preparation session, so they will examine you on the spot and decide whether and when to go ahead. 

Do you have far to travel to the hospital?

Betty boop

Hello all, I had a WLE with nipple removed six weeks ago, I'm due to start my radiotherapy in 15 days. I have a well healed scar (beautiful job) with a small patch at the juncture of the three scars that is taking time to heal. I'm also still very bruised from operation and two subsequent needle aspirations. Will the bruising delay my radiotherapy? 

Warm wishes to you all x

delly

Hi girls
Hope you're all healing and scars are settling. For my first lump (2006), of 1cm, I was offered the choice of a lumpectomy with rads, or a full mast and no rads. I finally chose a mast. The decision was eventually based on the amount of tissue removed for the lumpectomy choice, in that they require 3cm clear margins. In other words - a 1cm lump requiring 3cm all round margins, even when clear, meant a spherical mass totalling 7cm diam (2.5 cm roughly = 1"). That's a huge amount from a medium sized breast, not leaving much left, hence my choice (and was advised by surgeon) for a mast. I think it's this "clear margins" business that's surprises people with the size of their scars. Sometimes, even given 3cm margins, they have to remove more, because the margins aren't clear from the immediate on surgery biopsey.
Hope all your scars are healing and settling down well. More importantly, that your mental scars from this bl**dy awful disease are healing too.
Lots of love to you all, Delly xxxxxxxx
Jillet

Hi

Had wide local excision a week ago. My surgeon used water proof dressing so have been able to shower as normal. A real relief during the recent hot weather. Taking the dressing off made things a lot more comfortable. I felt able to look immediately, my husband had to look to reassure himself that the wound looked OK. 

The incision is neat about three inches long top of left breast. Removal of lymph nodes incision under arm is a little more angry, brushing deeper and not as well healed but getting there. Doing exercises, movement getting better each day. Apponitment next week for results and treatment plan. 

Bellas Mum

Hi Frances333

My scar is about 8-9 inches long and is still bruised at one edge after 6 weeks. LadyBowler told me that it does take time to heal and the scar will fade. They had to reposition my nipple and I woke up from surgery with numbers written on each boob where the surgeon had done his measurements 🙂

They make a fairly large incision so that they get good margins so its pretty normal to have a sizable scar on occassions.

Good luck x

jclarke4

I too was shocked by the size of my scar and 3 weeks post op still find it hard to look at it without getting upset... the nerve pain is the thing that is giving me so much grief! The other replies sound encouraging though as to how it shrinks and disappears so take some comfort in that... I am! Xxx
Corrina

hi I had a hard lump where the surgery was done but gone now but its been a year since my surgery. its probably scar tissue . hope your ok. if your worried you can ask the breast nurse to examine you.This might put your mind at rest. dont be fobbed off if your worried,but I had the same and I think others would havehad that aswell take care xxx
Alibobs

Hi I know this is quite an older thread bit just wanted to ask if anyone had hard lump after their op? My WLE scar is healing well and i am using bio oil etc on there and the snb scar under my arm. It's been just over 6 week since my op and k have noticed a hard large marble size lump on the surgery site roughly where the cancer was. Is this normal or should it all be soft by now? J rang the bcn but as usual was fobbed off with" if it gets bigger or more painful ring us next week ".
blueash
Community Champion

Hello Frances I had paget's disease so lost my nipple too BUT I had a plastic surgeon do mine and the scars are now totally invisible because I had a starfish incision not a straight line. Think of your nipple being the centre then imagine 5 scars radiating from that centre. Plus she built up the bit she took out with a bit of fat from somewhere so I would not have a dent. Now my breast looks perfect minus the nipple. She has offered to make me one but I have declined - I want to be left alone!

Optimissy64

Frances  - just realised that you are not so much concerned about the appearance of the scar but more about the size of it, and wondering if they found a bigger lump. That is possible - my lump was 9mm on ultrasound and mammo but 14 mm  in reality, since it isn't always possible to see how big it is until they open us up.( I wasn't too bothered by an extra 5 mm to be honest.) This is not uncommon and isn't generally a problem - important thing is that they get out what they need to, and if yours turns out to have been a few mm more than they thought, it still means it's jolly small. When you see your surgeon for your results they will be able to tell you what they found, but I'd be surprised if your lump was much above what you were told on ultrasound, if at all. Let us know how you get on.xx

Optimissy64

Frances333 the scar will shrink, honest! I thought mine looked about 4 inches long initially too, which seemed rather a lot for a 1.4 cm lump plus margins, but now it seems much shorter, and very very faint now after 9 months or so. Likewise the lymph node scar looked rather ragged and angry for a while but now is almost impossible to see unless I try hard to find it. It is early days and you will be surprised at how things look once you've healed up. I used bio oil on my scar after a month or so on the advice of a friend who had major scars following a leg operation and I think it does live up to its hype - one third off at S......drug at the moment too!. 

All the best for your ongoing recovery. xxxxxxx

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Frances,

I would have thought that it would be due to the site of the lump, so needing the nipple excision to ensure they get it all. 

Mine was a similar size @ 7mms, but not near the nipple, but was in the outer upper quadrant of the breast, so I only have a 2 inch scar at near the top. 

As Helena says, it will settle down & fade. 

ann x

Frances333

Thanks Helena,

To be honest I’m not at all worried how the scar looks but the size of it. I was expecting something half the size. It looks like a creased but straight  line going right across the centre of the breast. 

Thank you for sharing.

Frances x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Frances333

Bear in mind that the scar is really new and I promise it will settle down and fade.  I didnt have mine where you had yours, mine was more at the top of the breast and it now just looks like a crease, a very thin line.  I am 11 months past surgery.

Helena xxx

Frances333

Wide local excision scar

Hello all

I had a wide local excision and SNB just over a week ago for IDC. My lump on mammo and ultrasound is 8mm. As it was near to the nipple I had to lose the nipple as well. I know they have to make incision larger to do what they have to do and to hopefully get clear margins but today my BCN said I could remove the dressing and strips. I did this after soaking in the bath and no problem.

it took me a few hours to pluck up courage to look at the scar. It looks clean and ok but was has shocked me is the size of the scar. From end to end it is 4 inches. I know some of the bits each end is possibly some skin folds where they stitched me together but I am shocked at how large the scar is for a small lump, even including the nipple. 

I have yet yet to get results and hopefully it could be tomorrow but of course I am now worrying that they found something larger and had to make a larger incision. I had been expecting some smaller, maybe about 2 inches. 

Has anyone else experienced such a large scar for what I had done or is this normal and I just didn’t know. I’m wondering as they took the nipple it was a larger incision, but it still seems a lot larger than I had assumed.

Thank you all and love and hugs xxx