327613posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

things to do with little brain

10 REPLIES 10

Re: things to do with little brain

What about those grown-up colouring books. Buy some coloured pencils and let your colouring imagination get the better of you. It's very relaxing.

Also what about a bit of decluttering? Kitchen drawers, wardrobes etc. You can donate unwanted items to Cancer charities.

Thanks for the good thread - some great suggestions already made, which I'll need to try.  I've been watching far too much TV (as no effort required), and am finding it quite boring now.  But focusing to read for any length of time is a problem.

I bought lots of craft stuff when I was first diagnosed, but crochet is the only thing I've made much progress with.  Other ideas I had included buying some fat quarters (small pieces of cloth) to make small items with, scrap-booking (to create a photo album of happy memories), FIMO clay sculptures and papercraft (put that idea aside because of my affinity for paper cuts!).  I also thought learning some new recipes would be fun, but finding the energy to try them was a problem.

Audio books are quite good, if you can find one read by someone who's voice you like.  Can listen while doing other things that require little concentration.  I also got a couple of cheap puzzle books, as my brain can't cope with sudoku just now.  They've got a mixture of different puzzle types, so you can pick according to how much concentration you think you have

Community Champion

pastamissus

I do cross stitch as well, must admit the more tacking ones now, but I have never seen these, just googled them, they are gorgeous.  Am currently doing a fairly sitting on a toadstool with scrolling all around it and butterflies, however it is all in one colour, I am doing it in purple as it is a 50th birthday surprise for my friend as she loves fairies and the colour purple xx

I normally do cross-stitch, but some of those demand alot of brain. However, I have found the perfect ones to do with very little brain: Vervaco succulents (3 in series). Only have 3 colours and are repetitive patterns. Makes me feel I have acheived something :-)

HI there, I also am doing a lot of sudoku, though I find my arm goes numb from being in one position for too long (on the affected side). I have also started sewing again, with little projects like trousers for my toddler granddaughter, and for a change, some crochet.

They are all easy-ish things that can be put down and picked up as the mood takes me.

Hi Ramade
Sorry to hear you are having to have lots of chemo. I’m currently day 7 after FEC so feeling pretty tired. I feel so lazy but hve little energy so going to have a sofa day and do some Spanish lessons.
All best wishes for your treatment
X

Hi there, just wanted to thankyou because i saw your post this morning and have already started spanish and bought the pompom maker and book for my daughter in law for Christmas. i usually hang around the secondary site and am forever having to have chemo at stage 4.

Ramade

Community Champion

Hi - during my treatment and operation last year I found Suduko to be a great brain exerciser and also enjoyed adult colouring books for helping to relax.

Likewise I wa bored but couldn’t concentrate on anything too much. I enjoyed reading the Miss Fortune series by Jana De Leon. Jigsaws too.

Hope you’re healing well Mx

My sister was given a Pom Pom maker. She’s hooked! She’s even got an Instagram page for her creations it’s called Pomtittypom.
She’s not got cancer but it’s helped her cut down the fags!
I’ve been learning Spanish on a great free app called Duolingo. Es muy bien!
I hope you find something diverting.
Xx
Highlighted

things to do with little brain

Post-op I find I have enough brain to be bored, but not really enough to be able to do much. A friend sent me 'Paint with stickers' which is great! I have also been reading Nancy Drew and Mills and Boon.

Any other suggestions?