Bone biopsy of Humerus

Recently diagnosed with secondary breast cancer 12 years after initial mastectomy.

Diagnosed in April and initially put on Letrozole which I found uncomfortable due to aches and pains so Dr took me off.

Have had MRI, CT and Bone dexity scans which Dr initially thought was enough to get a full picture of the cancer spread…

Now been told I have to have a Bone biopsy next Tuesday and I am dreading it.  I understand there won’t be anymore then a local aneasetic  given and I am not good with pain.

I am dreading it and am terrified as I am already in a lot of pain from my shoulders, arms and hips which is where the main mets are

Really would appreciate hearing from others that have had a bone biopsy to explain exactly what I can expect.

Hi mounties,

I had a biopsy of my sternum about 2 years ago.

They gave me sedation as well as a local anaesthetic, so it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be!

I just felt a bit of pressure when they did the biopsy.

They used a CT scanner to locate the correct place, but I’m not sure if they do this in all cases.

Hope this helps,

Meg

I had a biopsy of my sternum last year. Before biopsy,  I was given IV which I think that was for the local anaesthetic. The whole process from entering into the room and got out of the room took about 25 mins. The first few minutes I was left alone in a room and was told they would use the CT scanner to locate the biopsy area. I closed my eyes for the whole time the doctor did the biopsy.Like what Mac61 said, no pain and just a bit of pressure. When they told me to open my eyes, they were already cleaning the blood (?) on my chest. I took shower that night. I peeled off the 2in x2in bandage couple days later and  saw only a sightly red dot in that area.

Hi, I found out I had secondaries as my humerus fractured and was pain and could hardly move it.

I went to A&E where I was turned away and they gave me a shoulder/arm support, and some pain killers and told me to come back if the pain continued.  I went back after 48 hours, had to wait in a 5 hr queue,

finally I had a x-ray of my shoulder and they said they couldn’t see anything and sent me for another scan to my humerus, bingo, finally hit the spot.  They kept me in for scans etc and could’nt operate because it was too near Christmas.  I finally had my opt after 3 weeks of waiting.  The surgeon was asked to send some samples of bone for biopsy and it came back inconclusive as there wasn’t enough bone in the sample.  I didn’t get any cancer treatment until three weeks afterwards, they said by looking at the scans confirmed it was breast cancer, but I may have to have biposy to confirm the type of cancer, dreading it.

Onchologist found tiny mets in spine and hip. Help?